Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 06-22-2015, 11:02 AM

62 posts, read 66,402 times

Advertisements

Every time that we see blatant racism such as we saw in Charleston the talking heads keep repeating that we need to have honest conversations about racism. We can talk about it until we're blue in the face and we won't be able to convince some people to stop thinking the way they do. I don't know what the solution to racism is but I don't think "conversations" are going to help.

Old 06-22-2015, 11:09 AM

5,444 posts, read 6,991,441 times
So, if someone truly comes up with a way to solve racism, they are to keep it to themselves? Every resolution of virtually every problem starts with a conversation. You are correct that some people will never change, but to think that conversations won't help is just silly.

Old 06-22-2015, 11:14 AM

20,550 posts, read 17,697,355 times
The only solution to racism, is better integration in society. The more people are around others the less people develop unfounded racist stereotypes.

This is not easy because we don't have a truly integrated society from top to bottom yet. Starting from govt to business.

Old 06-22-2015, 12:04 PM

11,110 posts, read 9,810,680 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by armendmo View Post
Every time that we see blatant racism such as we saw in Charleston the talking heads keep repeating that we need to have honest conversations about racism. We can talk about it until we're blue in the face and we won't be able to convince some people to stop thinking the way they do. I don't know what the solution to racism is but I don't think "conversations" are going to help.
Oh, I don't know... maybe because they live in the real world?

How do you solve the budget deficit, immigration, poverty? What do you do when your child is getting bad grades, when you've got differences with your spouse, when your neighbor is annoying you with the loud music he plays?

I don't know how to necessarily solve any of those things. But I do know how not to solve them - by refusing to discuss them and to instead simply act like they don't exist. So, too, with racism.

Old 06-22-2015, 12:12 PM

1,135 posts, read 1,312,482 times
Racism comes from mainly one large group of people. I know races have racists but still you can't deny its almost completely one sided.

Old 06-22-2015, 12:20 PM

3,658 posts, read 2,562,054 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr.2089 View Post
Racism comes from mainly one large group of people. I know races have racists but still you can't deny its almost completely one sided.
That is not true at all. Racists come from ALL types of people. Saying it is one sided does not make it true. Just for the heck of it please say which group of people you think it comes from.

Old 06-22-2015, 12:23 PM

1,984 posts, read 1,700,065 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr.2089 View Post
Uhh, yes I can.

We've lived all over the world and have witnessed widespread, institutional, discriminatory cultural biases based on color, race, gender, age, education and everything else. I've been discriminated against because of my race (I'm white - and those occasions were here in the US) - my wife based on her gender. Neither of our cases were anywhere near what we've witnessed in Asia, Europe and the middle east, where we've seen it much, much worse.

It's not one sided at all. We've witnessed it every way it can be expressed.

Old 06-22-2015, 12:30 PM

872 posts, read 827,726 times
It's not one sided. Until people can believe that.....it's never going to go away.

I know it might be hard for some of you to believe this......but, the White Man is not the only person capable of being a racist. I know it's a shocker - but, it's true.

Old 06-22-2015, 12:34 PM

8,452 posts, read 4,750,199 times
Nobody really wants a discussion on race. The people with the "proper" opinions on racial issues just want to flush out the people with "improper" views on race so they can be shamed and harassed and if possible fired from their jobs. It's become a game of high stakes whack-a-mole.

Old 06-22-2015, 12:40 PM

5,544 posts, read 8,314,247 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by armendmo View Post
Gives them more to talk about which equals more viewership which equals more dollars.

if they wanted a solution they would be pursuing it when there wasn't a riot/shooting/you name it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies