Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 06-24-2015, 05:23 PM

24,120 posts, read 32,468,260 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by blktoptrvl View Post
Why do so many cops hate citizens?

If you are really this afraid - "I was in fear for for my life" - I'm sure this will be the excuse; why even sign up to be a cop? There are plenty of other professions that a coward can hold.

Good question.

I would say that "police officer" is a bad job for people who live their lives in a state of constant fear, paranoia and xenophobia. Also, people who enjoy being in control and have authoritative and punitive personalities.

Unfortunately, it seems that this is exactly who is attracted to this job. There must be a way to screen police and to actively recruit individuals who are calm, yet assertive, confident, but not fearful and seek to solve problems by means other than violence. I think that recruiting college students who major in subjects like psychology, history, and sociology, we might head in a better direction.

I also think that all officers should have at least a BA, be good at verbal communication and critical reasoning.

This was tragic and never should have happened.

Old 06-24-2015, 05:45 PM

5,667 posts, read 6,594,347 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sheena12 View Post
There must be a way to screen police and to actively recruit individuals who are calm, yet assertive, confident, but not fearful and seek to solve problems by means other than violence.
They do. The majority of cops are a fair approximation of what you describe. Or at least closer than the general population. Unfortunately there are things like budgets, and these pillars of humanity usually have better options. The same goes for teaching which also seems to attract a fair number of "people who enjoy being in control and have authoritative and punitive personalities".

Quote:
I think that recruiting college students who major in subjects like psychology, history, and sociology, we might head in a better direction. I also think that all officers should have at least a BA, be good at verbal communication and critical reasoning.
Ugh! Like we don't have enough of that wasteful nonsense already. A BA isn't going to make anyone good at communication or reasoning.
Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies