Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-23-2015, 01:29 AM

9,827 posts, read 6,936,232 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tyrion Grey View Post
Just deal with it. Understand its for the better good of society.
I don't know how old you or your daughter are. I saw people who would never have believed that their innocent son or daughter would ever become involved with drugs. Even when faced with the facts, they couldn't accept it. As it stands now, drug use is not a capital offense, but there is nothing as a parent that is more painful that to bury your own child. It doesn't even matter how old that child is. My children are now in their 40's and it would still rip me apart. I know that the only saving grace I would possibly have would be my remaining children. While I support the principle, I'm not sure I could accept the practice. I now have grandchildren to consider.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-23-2015, 01:35 AM

358 posts, read 229,340 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by freightshaker View Post
I don't know how old you or your daughter are. I saw people who would never have believed that their innocent son or daughter would ever become involved with drugs. Even when faced with the facts, they couldn't accept it. As it stands now, drug use is not a capital offense, but there is nothing as a parent that is more painful that to bury your own child. It doesn't even matter how old that child is. My children are now in their 40's and it would still rip me apart. I know that the only saving grace I would possibly have would be my remaining children. While I support the principle, I'm not sure I could accept the practice. I now have grandchildren to consider.
Wouldnt be easy if presented with that. But we all know very well life isnt easy.

Tough decisions must be made.

Old 06-23-2015, 01:37 AM

9,827 posts, read 6,936,232 times
Quote:
Wouldnt be easy if presented with that. But we all know very well life isnt easy.

Tough decisions must be made.
Sometimes easier said than done.

Old 06-23-2015, 01:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by freightshaker View Post
Sometimes easier said than done.
Its a given. Luckily we wouldnt be tasked with carrying out such things ourself.

Old 06-23-2015, 03:52 AM

9,101 posts, read 16,457,116 times
Quote:
If we ever want to seriously put a dent in the drug trade it will require drastic actions and a change of culture.

Drugs are one of the primary roots of violence and killings around the world.

To do this you will need to instill some draconian measures.

1) Capital punishment for anyone caught in possession of an illegal substance.

2) Money rewards for intel and arrests. For example 1,000 reward (which you will find on the seller ie the criminals pay for their own demise) for turning in a seller.

I am amazed at how tolerant our society is. Quite weak actually. Give an inch people take a mile.

A side benefit of this measure would drastically clean up our prisons and reduce costs ten fold.

It is more of a problem than that considering how deeply entrenched the government is in the illegal drug trade. Think about Fast and Furious! Think about the reason we are still in Afghanistan. Our own government is the biggest drug dealer of all. Yet they throw people in jail and ruin their lives for selling a few ounces of pot.

Until the government starts to practice what it preaches, they should let everyone out of prison who is there for possession or dealing drugs.

Old 06-23-2015, 06:44 AM

463 posts, read 320,886 times
If the OP isn't a troll, then what a horrible and narrow-minded person they are. What a horrible idea this thread is.

Implementing such a policy would be like re-instating Hitler's Germany. Automatic execution on the street if caught with drugs. Because the OP doesn't like them.

What if the government then decided the same should hold true for anyone caught with a gun? Instant execution.

What if the government then decided the same should hold true for anyone caught with poppy flowers? You can make drugs from that. Instant execution.

What if the government then decided the same should hold true for anyone caught with a 32 oz soda? We have dealt with obesity for long enough. Instant execution.

What if the government then decided the same should hold true for anyone doing wizardly-type things with electricity, a.k.a Tesla? Too scary. Instant execution.

What if someone who thinks anyone caught with drugs should be executed is discovered? Instant execution. Anyone that stupid should be terminated for creating such a slippery slope.

Talk about the ultimate nanny-state.

Old 06-23-2015, 07:18 AM

463 posts, read 320,886 times
Quote:

That is not true. It is the money that follows the illegal drugs that is causing the violence and killings. That money comes from the black market.

It is just like the violence and killings that defined the roaring 20's. That wasn't caused by alcohol, it was caused by the alcohol black market. Which was created, of course, by prohibition. When prohibition was repealed, the violence and the killings stopped. Duh!

Just legalizing cannabis alone would greatly reduce the money flowing to the black market, which would reduce the violence and killings.

So if you really want to eliminate "one of the primary roots of violence and killings around the world" then legalize drugs and treat afflicted people through the health care system, NOT the legal system. That is called minimizing the harm, but that might be too advanced of a concept for you to wrap your head around.

Quote:
Not gonna happen. No way in hell the US is gonna legalize heroine and meth. Not a chance in hell.
That is exactly what Sgt. Joe Friday (aka Jack Webb) said 50 years ago about the legalization of marijuana.

Old 06-23-2015, 07:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vistaian View Post
If the OP isn't a troll, then what a horrible and narrow-minded person they are. What a horrible idea this thread is.

Implementing such a policy would be like re-instating Hitler's Germany. Automatic execution on the street if caught with drugs. Because the OP doesn't like them.

What if the government then decided the same should hold true for anyone caught with a gun? Instant execution.

What if the government then decided the same should hold true for anyone caught with poppy flowers? You can make drugs from that. Instant execution.

What if the government then decided the same should hold true for anyone caught with a 32 oz soda? We have dealt with obesity for long enough. Instant execution.

What if the government then decided the same should hold true for anyone doing wizardly-type things with electricity, a.k.a Tesla? Too scary. Instant execution.

What if someone who thinks anyone caught with drugs should be executed is discovered? Instant execution. Anyone that stupid should be terminated for creating such a slippery slope.

Talk about the ultimate nanny-state.
Lol at comparing Hitler to this. Hitler killed people simply due to ethnicity.

You are comparing apples to oranges. Some just blatantly ridiculous.

I am sorry you like drugs and think they are good for society.

Pitty.

Old 06-23-2015, 07:23 AM

6,542 posts, read 4,094,955 times
Quote:
If we ever want to seriously put a dent in the drug trade it will require drastic actions and a change of culture.

To do this you will need to instill some draconian measures.

1) Capital punishment for anyone caught in possession of an illegal substance.

2) Money rewards for intel and arrests. For example 1,000 reward (which you will find on the seller ie the criminals pay for their own demise) for turning in a seller.

I am amazed at how tolerant our society is. Quite weak actually. Give an inch people take a mile.

A side benefit of this measure would drastically clean up our prisons and reduce costs ten fold.
A smart person does not exist who says we should employ draconian measures.

1) States with the death penalty for murder have higher rates of violent crime. So in fact, no evidence exists to suggest that using the death penalty will lower the rates of a certain action. Best case scenario, people will try really hard not get caught.

2) No. What constitutes as a seller? This would be anyone who has the substance and trades it for something else. So, a high schooler selling adderall to his friends is a seller. You'd a teenager give up a thousand dollars because some delusional fool who thinks he's doing justice turned him in? You might, given everything else you've said.

First, we need to decriminalize drugs, at least most of them. Second, we need to legalize being an addict. Unless you do something that is actually dangerous, simply being an addict is an issue of public health, not safety, and therefore users should not be sent to prison. That's step one. As to what happens next depends on which aspects of this plan our esteemed government colossally screws up.

Old 06-23-2015, 07:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vistaian View Post
That is not true. It is the money that follows the illegal drugs that is causing the violence and killings. That money comes from the black market.

It is just like the violence and killings that defined the roaring 20's. That wasn't caused by alcohol, it was caused by the alcohol black market. Which was created, of course, by prohibition. When prohibition was repealed, the violence and the killings stopped. Duh!

Just legalizing cannabis alone would greatly reduce the money flowing to the black market, which would reduce the violence and killings.

So if you really want to eliminate "one of the primary roots of violence and killings around the world" then legalize drugs and treat afflicted people through the health care system, NOT the legal system.
We could go a step further, there wouldnt be no money in the drug trade if people didnt want them.

We are legalizing meth and heroine so not really comparable with alcohol.

Weed is one of the lower earning drugs.

We are not gonna legalize drugs. At best weed will be legalized. Not the other harder drugs.

So again, you proposal is not logical.

Quote:
That is exactly what Sgt. Joe Friday (aka Jack Webb) said 50 years ago about the legalization of marijuana.
We all know weed and meth are quite on the opposite ends of the spectrum in addiction and negative side effects.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies