Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 06-23-2015, 04:00 PM

7,578 posts, read 5,320,714 times

Advertisements

"It is not unheard of for foreigners to be detained in Japan for mailing or bringing in medicine they used at home. Such drugs may be banned in Japan or require special approval."
From the last graph of the story. No one here knows if this woman is "an addict." And even if she is oxycodone addiction is very common amongst those who were introduced to the drug by the physician as a result of an injury or surgery. Drug addition, particularly from oxycodone, is not always the result of "foolish" actions on the part of the addict.

Old 06-23-2015, 06:10 PM

3,744 posts, read 4,083,718 times
To call people who use drugs stupid is a throwaway line looking outside in... many people who use drugs are brilliant... drugs dull brilliance and detract from the users holistic being.

Addiction is a sickness and may creep up on the user...deadening the self restrictions we place on ourselves while altering natural dopamine and other natural body boosters... is this behavior stupid... yes.. of course...again looking from the outside in.

As i have stated many times and with all drugs I feel profound sadness for people who waste heartbeats not realizing their natural potential... and seeking to excel... drugs short circuit that. I'm not opposed to people killing or injuring their being through drug use provided it doesn't affect others.. this is the rub.. it always does

Old 06-23-2015, 07:12 PM

63,919 posts, read 46,702,516 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tall Traveler View Post
I've known many brilliant and gifted people that have fallen into drug and/or alcohol addition ruining or stagnating their life for long periods. Some are able to overcome it and some never do. I hope to see some treatment or drug or some discovery to help those that have this problem. From what I understand, it has to do with how the drug works on your brain chemistry, and for me it's never been a problem but I don't consider it anything I've done, just been lucky. Addiction is not an indictment of a person, it's a huge problem and challenge.
There are meds that act as agonists and block the effect of opioids/ opiates.

The challenge is most who are addicted have either never developed or perhaps lost the ability to live live as is , without the benefit of substance.

Old 06-23-2015, 07:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vistaian View Post
I have a friend who got addicted to oxy. He finally sought treatment and kicked it by using Methadone.

Then he finally really put his mind to it and kicked the Methadone by himself. So there was a happy ending at least.

None of that was any fun to be sure. But I shudder to think what the outcome might have been had it been handled through law enforcement and the court system. If that had happened I doubt he would still be with us.

It was a health related problem and was treated successfully as such.

As another poster suggested, addictions like that can happen for many reasons. Most of the time though, it isn't because of stupidity.
Like Cancer, the 5 year mark is a serious milestone in recovery.

Old 06-23-2015, 07:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by snowchaser2002 View Post
It's the fact that a lot of folks think People who are addicted to drugs are stupid that really gets me. I have known many people (one very close) friend who was an addict, and it changes their brain chemistry. Do you really think people aspire to be nothing more than a dopehead. What is ironic a lot the people who think drug addicts are low life scum are the people whose DTR, Son, or wife/husband that ends up getting addicted, then they tend to change their thinking. As soon as we start treating drug addiction like any other disease we will not win the so called "war on drugs"***stepping of soapbox***
Unlike most diseases, this one is fully preventable. No one gets into the stuff with the goal of addiction.
Most persist in the belief they can control it long after the drug controls them.

It's the lying, cheating, stealing and chronic manipulation that typically accompany addiction that destroys trust, relationships and families. And then there are the enablers who tend to be as sick as the addicted person.

Old 06-23-2015, 07:28 PM

3,166 posts, read 3,355,702 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by middle-aged mom View Post
Unlike most diseases, this one is fully preventable. No one gets into the stuff with the goal of addiction.
Most persist in the belief they can control it long after the drug controls them.

It's the lying, cheating, stealing and chronic manipulation that typically accompany addiction that destroys trust, relationships and families. And then there are the enablers who tend to be as sick as the addicted person.
Exactly. Many start thinking it can be used recreationally then before they know it, they're full-blown addicts. I know someone well that this happened to. He was a functional addict for years before it took ahold od his life & lost everything.

Old 06-23-2015, 07:28 PM

5,661 posts, read 3,519,509 times
Quote:

Very well said and spot on.

Old 06-23-2015, 08:48 PM

463 posts, read 320,391 times
Quote:
Like Cancer, the 5 year mark is a serious milestone in recovery.
I don't think it has been 5 years yet for him, but it's getting close. Next time I talk to him I'll see how long it's been.

Thanks for this info.

Old 06-23-2015, 11:50 PM

607 posts, read 1,401,758 times
Quote:

Yep.

For some reason, society has placed a difference among prescription painkillers. illegal drugs, and alcohol. Yes, it is illegal to have oxycodone if your doctor did not prescribe it and it is not being taken as directed. Yes, it is illegal to have heroin. No, it is not illegal to drink alcohol to excess whenever you want as long as you are not operating heavy machinery, etc.

Addicts (including addicts to alcohol) can do some really stupid things - especially under the influence. Stupid people? I think not. "Under the influence" can also mean desperate for the next fix or drink, though not currently using/drinking.

Old 06-24-2015, 01:10 AM

605 posts, read 490,846 times
I have alcohol issues, and I skipped a grade and have an IQ of 163+. Most truly intelligent people I've met have substance abuse issues. Most truly dumb people I've met are rather content no matter what they do to pass the time.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies