Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 06-24-2015, 03:11 AM

6,617 posts, read 6,537,463 times

Advertisements

I am one who says "never say never". I can't say that if I was in chronic pain that I would refuse Oxy or Percocet for relief. I believe I would get hooked easily because I have a low threshold for pain.

No one knows what it is like to live with serious pain until they are facing a lifetime of living with it themselves. I pity addicts who got hooked on prescription drugs to relieve their pain. I also understand how they got addicted.

I have a young friend who lives with horrible chronic pain 24/7, because of a growth in her spine that affects her whole nervous system. She's had two operations that didn't help, and so far there is nothing more that modern medicine can do for her. I can't believe she hasn't turned to drugs for relief. I imagine it has something to do with her being a former pharmacist that prevents her from taking them, but I'm not sure.

BUT: I have NO pity or understanding for people who go to a party and willingly and knowingly do a line of coke, smoke meth, or shoot heroin for the first time. THEY are the stupid ones, IMO.

Old 06-24-2015, 03:32 AM

44,254 posts, read 64,332,595 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tall Traveler View Post
I've known many brilliant and gifted people that have fallen into drug and/or alcohol addition ruining or stagnating their life for long periods. .
You can be brilliant and gifted and still have no character or discipline.

Old 06-24-2015, 04:16 AM

605 posts, read 490,892 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stan4 View Post
You're probably more predisposed not to have these things because you realize it's all bull****.

Old 06-24-2015, 04:27 AM

44,254 posts, read 64,332,595 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mrcnkwcz View Post
You're probably more predisposed not to have these things because you realize it's all bull****.
Ehh...naw. I can see the hopelessness and futility you might feel when you realize how kind of dumb, corrupt, and lazy the rest of the world is...but you can maintain your own standards despite this.

Old 06-24-2015, 04:34 AM

605 posts, read 490,892 times
Quote:
Ehh...naw. I can see the hopelessness and futility you might feel when you realize how kind of dumb, corrupt, and lazy the rest of the world is...but you can maintain your own standards despite this.
It's exceedingly difficult. You have to be willfully ignorant to the idiocy that surrounds you, and that is where, for me, the alcohol comes in. When sober I'm legitimately enraged (more often than not) by what I observe around me. When intoxicated, I can make light of it, to some extent anyway. Stupid people are better off being the way they are.

Old 06-24-2015, 04:38 AM

3,166 posts, read 3,356,252 times
Quote:
I have alcohol issues, and I skipped a grade and have an IQ of 163+. Most truly intelligent people I've met have substance abuse issues. Most truly dumb people I've met are rather content no matter what they do to pass the time.
I know someone that was a straight-A student all the way through k-12 & college and yet struggled with alcohol. Ernest Hemingway is a well-known, famous author & also atuggled with alcoholism. There's even a reference to him in a song, Alcohol by Brad Paisley. It seems many of the ones that struggle with addiction are actually very bright.

Many of the dumbest people I've known that don't have addiction issues.

Old 06-24-2015, 06:22 AM

1,701 posts, read 1,874,414 times
I had a friend that had a BS in physics from ASU but developed a bad heroine habit only a few years after graduation. Smart guy but weak when it came to addictive drugs.

Old 06-24-2015, 06:29 AM

30,355 posts, read 19,128,594 times
Quote:
Yes and you can be dumb and talentless and still have no character and discipline. I have a relative that struggled from age 15-30 with drug addiction and basically everyone including his parents and almost lost all hope that he would ever be anything but an addict. However, he finally broke free from his addictions and has been clean for over 5 years, got married, has a great job and is I would say a bright star family member and in the community in which he lives.

Old 06-24-2015, 06:33 AM

3,352 posts, read 2,822,657 times
Dearborn Heights officer, friend died of drug overdose

This is the kind of drug use I don't understand....

Old 06-24-2015, 06:39 AM

5,051 posts, read 3,577,041 times
Quote:
It's exceedingly difficult. You have to be willfully ignorant to the idiocy that surrounds you, and that is where, for me, the alcohol comes in. When sober I'm legitimately enraged (more often than not) by what I observe around me. When intoxicated, I can make light of it, to some extent anyway. Stupid people are better off being the way they are.
That is the nonsense you tell yourself to justify your abuse. The world has always been this way - often much worse - you just deal - unless you grew up an orphan in a war zone your just justifying your own lack of will to deal with your issue(s).
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies