Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-24-2015, 06:32 PM

8,278 posts, read 6,271,110 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by pacerphx View Post
To be actually honest about the discussion, you'd have to recognize that each of the countries named individually have 1 or 2 mass shootings each, while the USA had 133. So in each of these 3 countries, they had mass shootings that accounted for an unusually high count. One of these countries is also often touted for the low crime rate because of its high gun ownership rate.
Well when you consider that in 20 years Australia (excepting familial mass murder, and serial killers) has had 5 mass homicide events, from Port Arthur to the Quakers Hill Nursing Home fire for 71 fatalities. While mass shootings were stopped in Australia, mass murders were not. There are 23M people living in Australia.

If you scaled that to US populations you'd expect to see ~69 events in 20 years for 981 fatalities. Even Mother Jones only lists 70 events across 30 years (if we used the Australia yardstick we'd expect 103 events). I've no idea about the total fatalities of mass shootings in the US, but I can't imagine that it's close to 1000, it would need to average 15 per event, and while there are notable outliers on the high side, the 70 events Mother Jones lists drops down to needing 4 or more fatalities.

At the end of the day dead is dead, doesn't matter if someone runs you over with a car, beats you to death with their fists, shoots you, sets you on fire, or drowns you in a vat of melted chocolate.

That is if you want to be honest about the discussion.

Old 06-24-2015, 08:13 PM

57,227 posts, read 26,172,300 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gungnir View Post
Well when you consider that in 20 years Australia (excepting familial mass murder, and serial killers) has had 5 mass homicide events, from Port Arthur to the Quakers Hill Nursing Home fire for 71 fatalities. While mass shootings were stopped in Australia, mass murders were not. There are 23M people living in Australia.

If you scaled that to US populations you'd expect to see ~69 events in 20 years for 981 fatalities. Even Mother Jones only lists 70 events across 30 years (if we used the Australia yardstick we'd expect 103 events). I've no idea about the total fatalities of mass shootings in the US, but I can't imagine that it's close to 1000, it would need to average 15 per event, and while there are notable outliers on the high side, the 70 events Mother Jones lists drops down to needing 4 or more fatalities.

At the end of the day dead is dead, doesn't matter if someone runs you over with a car, beats you to death with their fists, shoots you, sets you on fire, or drowns you in a vat of melted chocolate.

That is if you want to be honest about the discussion.
Mass murders by guns happen far too often in the US and it does have an impact on our society. I don't see countries reacting as we do, we have changed a great deal in the last few decades. Just looking at the mass shootings in the last few years should tell you we are changing.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-24-2015, 08:58 PM

46,001 posts, read 35,161,783 times
In the past 15 years we have had 133 mass shootings??? That means almost 9 a year, so basically we take three months off from mass shootings each year. So the next time some dumb politician says it is too soon to talk about gun violence in this country after such a horrific shooter, someone should remind that person that there will probably be one next month, so maybe we should talk about that one before it actually happens.

Who in their right mind would be happy with 133 mass shootings in 15 years??

Old 06-24-2015, 09:57 PM

5,503 posts, read 7,330,107 times
Liberals are such babies. "No fair, you can't compare smaller countries to the US, unless it fits our agenda" Face it, your president is a liar.

Old 06-24-2015, 10:27 PM

8,278 posts, read 6,271,110 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by urbanlife78 View Post
In the past 15 years we have had 133 mass shootings???
Who claims this number? Could you provide a citation?

Quote:
But we haven't according to Mother Jones we've had 70 in 30 years (link in previous posting on the subject). Are you claiming that Mother Jones is under-reporting?

ETA:

Oh never mind it's in the Politifact article, I just found the article and posted it, I never even bothered to read it. I don't know what the Schildkraut and Elsass criterion is for mass shooting, so I cannot evaluate it's accuracy.

Old 06-24-2015, 10:45 PM

39,856 posts, read 26,482,831 times
Quote:
In the past 15 years we have had 133 mass shootings??? That means almost 9 a year, so basically we take three months off from mass shootings each year. So the next time some dumb politician says it is too soon to talk about gun violence in this country after such a horrific shooter, someone should remind that person that there will probably be one next month, so maybe we should talk about that one before it actually happens.

Those that are unwilling to (1) institutionalize the violently mentally ill, and (2) lock up convicted violent felons for long prison sentences without parole.

Old 06-24-2015, 11:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gungnir View Post
Who claims this number? Could you provide a citation?

But we haven't according to Mother Jones we've had 70 in 30 years (link in previous posting on the subject). Are you claiming that Mother Jones is under-reporting?

ETA:

Oh never mind it's in the Politifact article, I just found the article and posted it, I never even bothered to read it. I don't know what the Schildkraut and Elsass criterion is for mass shooting, so I cannot evaluate it's accuracy.
The OP gave the citation already, I am simply commenting on the article I read.

Old 06-24-2015, 11:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Toyman at Jewel Lake View Post
Those that are unwilling to (1) institutionalize the violently mentally ill, and (2) lock up convicted violent felons for long prison sentences without parole.
Then give us the money to do this, you can't have point one and two without the budget to do so. I know you want to blame liberals for this, but the reality is when people want lower taxes and to "cut the pork" it is things like this that get cut first. Maybe this isn't something we should be playing politics with in the first place.

Old 06-24-2015, 11:45 PM

991 posts, read 628,777 times
The only person who can stop a bad guy with a gun is a good guy with a gun.

Old 06-24-2015, 11:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by epliny View Post
The only person who can stop a bad guy with a gun is a good guy with a gun.
A bad guy with a gun is just a guy who use to be a good guy with a gun....hard to tell the difference sometimes.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies