Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-25-2015, 02:36 PM

26,845 posts, read 15,076,081 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by wutitiz View Post
This is one small step for Obamacare, one giant leap for the Imperial Presidency envisioned by Richard Nixon. If the executive branch can simply rewrite statutory language that it does not like, we no longer have a functioning Constitution. We're back to a monarchial form of government, just not a hereditary monarchy.

Be careful what you wish for, liberals.

That is where we are today.
The nation as we knew it growing up and for years afterwards is gone.

Congress does what it wants, the Executive and the Judicial do as well all in vacating responsibilities and ignores limits on them that were there for good reason as if they never existed to begin with.

Why should anyone be expected to follow any Law at all if this is what we have come to?

The SC has no authority to re-write or "fix" Law.
Only Congress does.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-25-2015, 02:40 PM

2,572 posts, read 4,233,438 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nmnita View Post
yep, we are D2s. but don't use our benies very often, it has become a huge pain in the you know what. Of course many years ago our older daughter also was with American when Sabre was part of the company. She was with Sabre, eventually becoming a VP. before she took a very early retirement. Anymore questions, am I still making up stories and full of BS.

I noticed on another post your reference to being a R at one time, but not anymore. You also said on this thread, your entire family has great coverage, who is your entire family with AA? How many family members are getting this coverage with no increase in premiums?
Yes Miss Arkansas, I used to be a Republican but when they hopped in bed with a religious right I hopped out. Actually my partner works for American airlines and has done so for 18 years this April. Our coverage has not gone up or if it has hardly noticeable, but certainly hasn't skyrocketed as you claim.

All your daughter has to do is check the flights, then you can easily fly is a D2. Maybe she says that keep your away.

Old 06-25-2015, 02:58 PM

63,919 posts, read 46,487,374 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lorrysda View Post
You do realize that if the Federal Government kept their "sticky stealing fingers" out the those restricted funds (SS and Medicare) and leaving I.O.U.'s in place of those stolen funds (restricted means just that...can be spent only for the original purpose) those funds paid in by all working Americans would earn enough interest in "safe" investments to pay for all obligations.

As always, Federal Government screws up everything it touches and/or steals, Obama Care being one of the worst screw ups to every be brought down on our heads.
What is a "safe investment"?

Trust fund surpluses could have been invested in say corporate bonds and IOUs issued. If that had been done it would be understood that at a future point in time those IOUs would have to be repaid by the corporations, even if it means lowered profits or greater losses.

Without question, some of those corporations would have ceased to exist and the trust funds would have been left with an empty bag.

Instead, trust fund surpluses were invested in Treasury Bonds and the Treasury issued IOUs. It is understood that at a future point in time, the Treasury will have to make good on those IOUs even if it means raising taxes to do so.

Old 06-25-2015, 03:00 PM

18,782 posts, read 17,286,911 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by okie1962 View Post
All your daughter has to do is check the flights, then you can easily fly is a D2. Maybe she says that keep your away.
"you can easily fly is a D2."

What does this even mean???

" Maybe she says that keep your away."

Maybe 'your' are either drunk or high as a kite on the wacky terbacky.

Old 06-25-2015, 03:01 PM

77,772 posts, read 104,226,927 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by okie1962 View Post
Yes Miss Arkansas, I used to be a Republican but when they hopped in bed with a religious right I hopped out. Actually my partner works for American airlines and has done so for 18 years this April. Our coverage has not gone up or if it has hardly noticeable, but certainly hasn't skyrocketed as you claim.

Nope, I too can check to see how many are on the stand by list, but we are getting off topic now. She always keeps an eye on how full the flights are. As for keeping us away, I hardly think that is an issue, considering she usually pays 1/2 of our flight and we pay the other 1/2. Flying D2 out of NWA isn't all that easy. it isn't like it is a major hub.BTW, is your partner unionized in anyway? If so, maybe that is the difference. I can assure you our daughters insurance and deducables did increase at an ubelievable rate when Obama care became a reality.

It is sad, you would say you were a Republican until they hopped in bed with the religious right. Not all Republicans see the party controlled by bible thumpers. In fact most of us do not. Just think of our last 2 presidentual candidates: would you call McCain or Romney a bible thumper? Yes, Romney was a devout Morman, but I wouldn't call him a bible thumper. We have a granddaughter who is as conservative as a 20 something year old can be and she is an agnostic. We have a foster daughter who is a lesbian, one of her room mates, not her partner, but also a lesbian and a vegan, is a conservative Republican and what about all the Log Cabin republicans? I think your swiching parties goes a little deeper. Otherwise you wouldn't be supporting ACA so much.

Old 06-25-2015, 03:05 PM

631 posts, read 718,173 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by T-310 View Post
Nope. I pay my way.

CORRECTION:

Whomever setup your trust fund is paying your way. You're a leech, just using your parents/grandparents/etc as your own form of government handouts.

Old 06-25-2015, 03:06 PM

1,204 posts, read 868,032 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by T-310 View Post
Yeah, never mind my trust fund could pay for it but you go ahead and keep spouting that if it makes you feel better.

Know I understand many of your posts. You are a "trust fund" baby. Me, I had/have to work.

Old 06-25-2015, 03:09 PM

77,772 posts, read 104,226,927 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by middle-aged mom View Post
Without change, most of us, assuming we live long enough, will obtain benefits substantially greater than our contributions. This has been true since inception.
Of course it is. If I take out a life insurance policy for 500,000 and am 50 years old. Most likely the policy will be worth a hell of a lot more than the $$s I paid into it. That is what insurance is all about. Someone has our money to use before we get a chance to use it. That is not the same as federally funded medical insurence.

Old 06-25-2015, 03:15 PM

2,572 posts, read 4,233,438 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nmnita View Post
Nope, I too can check to see how many are on the stand by list, but we are getting off topic now. She always keeps an eye on how full the flights are. As for keeping us away, I hardly think that is an issue, considering she usually pays 1/2 of our flight and we pay the other 1/2. Flying D2 out of NWA isn't all that easy. it isn't like it is a major hub.BTW, is your partner unionized in anyway? If so, maybe that is the difference. I can assure you our daughters insurance and deducables did increase at an ubelievable rate when Obama care became a reality.

It is sad, you would say you were a Republican until they hopped in bed with the religious right. Not all Republicans see the party controlled by bible thumpers. In fact most of us do not. Just think of our last 2 presidentual candidates: would you call McCain or Romney a bible thumper? Yes, Romney was a devout Morman, but I wouldn't call him a bible thumper. We have a granddaughter who is as conservative as a 20 something year old can be and she is an agnostic. We have a foster daughter who is a lesbian, one of her room mates, not her partner, but also a lesbian and a vegan, is a conservative Republican and what about all the Log Cabin republicans? I think your swiching parties goes a little deeper. Otherwise you wouldn't be supporting ACA so much.
Yes my partner is with the union, TWU local 214 so there may be some difference there, we have United healthcare.

I really don't like or dislike Obama care, to be truthful I don't know much about it. I don't know why you say I support it so much. I have insurance, very good insurance so I have never looked into it. I do like the fact that you can get affordable insurance if you have a pre-existing condition. That would be the only thing I guess I'd be a big fan of. I don't care if you think I used to be a good Republican or bad Republican but I certainly didn't like the direction they were going with the religious right.

Old 06-25-2015, 03:17 PM

63,919 posts, read 46,487,374 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tall Traveler View Post
Agree, we can't fix the cost problem without addressing (cutting off some of the golden goodies) those that are making fortunes in our system. The ACA is putting a band aid on a leg that's been cut off. We are paying triple what they pay in Spain and France and I'm not sure we're getting much for that extra cost. Bottom line is, still super expensive and a net miniscule impact to health, that's the ACA legacy.
I continue to dig into the international cost comparisons. It is possible apples and oranges are being compared. For example, an Angiogram:

Canada- $35

Spain- $218

France- $264

US- $2430*

* Is this the amount billed for the service or the agreed amount paid by the insurer? It matters.

When a healthcare provider/hospital enter into an in network contract, both parties know and agree to reimbursement rates. Yet, instead of billing the agreed upon rate, a substantially higher rate is billed to insurance. The difference reflects as a PPO Discount on the Statement of Benefits. Why wouldn't the provider simply bill at the agreed upon rate?

What exactly goes into per capita healthcare costs used for international comparison?

I am not doubting that the US cost of healthcare is the highest in the world. How much higher I do not know.

I do know that US healthcare workers, including MDs and Hospital Administrators are compensated better in the US, than elsewhere. I do know we pay substantial premiums for most prescribed medications and medical devices. I also know that many not for profits show $ hundreds of millions in annual profits.

Privatized for profit medicine ( ignoring the goofy not for profit thing) is going to be more costly than state-owned/managed healthcare systems.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies