Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Will the removal of the Confederate flag cause another civil war?
Yes 17 7.30%
No 198 84.98%
Maybe 18 7.73%
Voters: 233. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-29-2015, 12:09 PM

24,415 posts, read 23,070,474 times

Advertisements

Maybe another Revolutionary War if one thing leads to another.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-29-2015, 03:42 PM

5,472 posts, read 7,606,441 times
I dont think so, but I feel like banning this flag will be a step in wrong direction as far as personal freedoms are concerned. You cannot allow the government to dictate what you do, what you believe in and what you are proud of. In reality, it already does in many cases.

Old 06-29-2015, 03:47 PM

28,674 posts, read 18,795,274 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ascension2012 View Post
I dont think so, but I feel like banning this flag will be a step in wrong direction as far as personal freedoms are concerned. You cannot allow the government to dictate what you do, what you believe in and what you are proud of. In reality, it already does in many cases.
There is no move or intention of the government at any level to ban the flying of any flag by individuals.

Old 06-29-2015, 10:56 PM

14,186 posts, read 22,752,558 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JMatl View Post
People in Pennsylvania have NO right to cast stones at any State, as you may as well BE Alabama outside of Philly & Pittsburgh.
Raised in Pennsylvania, currently living in Georgia, and ready to cast all the stones I please. In fact, I'll bury you with stones right now. Might as well be Alabama outside of Pittsburgh and Philadelphia, huh?

Quote:
Originally Posted by JMatl View Post
One of the most insular, close-minded and downright unfriendly places I have ever had the misfortune to visit.
I know somebody a few years younger than me (we're both under 40) who was born and raised in small-town south Georgia, got a degree from UAB, moved to Kansas City for a year and started (and later sold) a small business, and a few years ago took a trip to various parts of Asia, including Hong Kong, Singapore and Ho Chi Minh City. In other words, he's a highly-motivated renaissance man with a zest for life.

Anyway, after Kansas City, he moved to Hershey and lived there for seven years, and he really enjoyed his life there. The only reason he even moved back to the South was to be closer to his immediate family. He said that was the only thing he didn't enjoy about his time in Hershey, being so far away from his family.

I guess what I'm trying to say is, if somebody as well-rounded and well-traveled as him could enjoy himself in Pennsylvania, then it's probably your fault that you didn't enjoy yourself there. In fact, I think people who blame geography for their problems are pretty ****ing lame. If Georgia can grow on me despite the culture shock I dealt with the first five years I lived here, then you're the problem, and Pennsylvania is not.

Old 06-30-2015, 06:33 AM

5,735 posts, read 3,254,101 times
draping it in the rainbow flag was stupid too then!

Quote:
Originally Posted by MaseMan View Post
Deflect much?

re: the Civil War ended 100 years ago. Yes, yes it did. So posting an image of the White House draped with Confederate iconography is revisionist and stupid.

Old 06-30-2015, 08:26 AM

1,350 posts, read 2,300,744 times
I never knew any racist who flew the flag growing up (I'm a native Southerner) however it was kind of a symbol of someone being a redneck (who doesnt make you a racist, however I never wanted to be thought of as a redneck)

Its the talk of removing monuments which troubles me. Many of these monuments are historic landmarks. If anything we should build more monuments in a similar style to blacks, women, even gays. But don't take down what little we have in the South, let's add to the mix.

Old 06-30-2015, 09:33 AM

28,674 posts, read 18,795,274 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Prytania View Post
I never knew any racist who flew the flag growing up (I'm a native Southerner) however it was kind of a symbol of someone being a redneck (who doesnt make you a racist, however I never wanted to be thought of as a redneck)

Its the talk of removing monuments which troubles me. Many of these monuments are historic landmarks. If anything we should build more monuments in a similar style to blacks, women, even gays. But don't take down what little we have in the South, let's add to the mix.
The thing about the flags is that they were a big "Eff You!" erected by segregationists in 1963 against the Civil Rights Act. As such, those flags should be removed. The monuments that had always been there should remain.

Old 06-30-2015, 09:37 AM

7,214 posts, read 9,396,200 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FKD19124 View Post
draping it in the rainbow flag was stupid too then!
I did think that was a bit over the top, but it didn't make me lose any sleep, either.

Old 07-01-2015, 06:53 PM

12,623 posts, read 13,932,594 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Becky2517 View Post
Aside from the fact that there is no General Lee to lead a southern uprising, who exactly, besides the militia...would be starting this civil war? Every soldier in the US military has pledged his/her allegiance to the United States of America...so that leaves them out, unless they want to be shot for treason before they make it south of the Mason/Dixon line.

You do realize that almost all Confederate leaders, generals, and officers had also pledged their allegiance to the USA. Hence, why most Americans outside the South view them as traitors, just as the people of 1861 did. But alas, to reconcile Lincoln would have none of that executing of traitors. Unfortunately the price we pay today is the glorification and the outright lies told about the Civil War and the Confederacy.

Old 07-01-2015, 07:04 PM

78,863 posts, read 46,634,918 times
Erase history, so it will soon be repeated.

They can only enslave the ignorant.
The day the IRS & the Federal Reserve were created, was the day, we all became enslaved to our government.
The day we went off the gold standard and onto the blood, sweat & tears standard, it is your blood, sweat & tears(slavery to the state)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies