Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Will the removal of the Confederate flag cause another civil war?
Yes 17 7.30%
No 198 84.98%
Maybe 18 7.73%
Voters: 233. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-26-2015, 09:37 AM

39,222 posts, read 27,592,812 times

Advertisements

Not necessary causing another civil war. Peace loving individuals who view that flag as southern heritage (nothing more or less) will just move on, I guess. It would not surprise me the racial hate group use removing of the flag as recruiting strategy though. Every action, there is a reaction.

Whatever happened in South Carolina already happened, the question from there is: What next?

How do you deal with a symbol that means so many different things, to so many different people? How do you “take down” a flag that has ceased to be a flag at all?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-26-2015, 09:39 AM

9,818 posts, read 7,928,191 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tom77falcons View Post
No, but the just announced Supreme Court decision on Gay Marriage may start some serious debate in the South about how they feel being forced to accept this by a Fed Govt most of them already despise. CNN interviewed people in Georgia and they were very angry.
Yeah, they don't dare show the dancing in the streets of Midtown Atlanta going on as they know it would cause too many heads to explode 'Up North.'

I'm sure it would please you to no end if Civil War did break out - over anything.

Old 06-26-2015, 09:40 AM

10,659 posts, read 10,724,472 times
Probably not but sooner or later there will be a tipping point...Maybe they snatch up everyone's retirement plan or maybe it's an outright attack on the 2nd Amendment or something. Sooner or later it will happen. Nothing lasts forever....

Old 06-26-2015, 09:45 AM

30,362 posts, read 19,149,932 times
More people will be killed to avenge the idiocy of 'taking down the Confederate Flag.' I don't think there will be a civil war but I think the political divide between flyover country and the Coasts is so great that we could see a break up of the USA in our lifetime.

Old 06-26-2015, 09:52 AM

31,767 posts, read 28,813,019 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nycricanpapi View Post
I know that the south is very proud. Many of the southerners are so frustrated right now because many of the southern states are removing the flag.. Do you think it will start another civil war?
Technically, the confederate ceased to present just the confederates' war against the USA a long time ago. It was picked up by bigots, racists and the social authoritarian gangs until it returned as government speech following 1954 Supreme Court ruling against racial segregation, then 1964 (Civil Rights).

It serves to unify bigots more than it carries the poor soul of the secessionists 150 years ago.

Old 06-26-2015, 10:08 AM

3,453 posts, read 4,528,416 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Republic of Michigan View Post
I saw a confederate flag flying in a neighborhood in suburban Detroit where Blacks have been moving in during the last few years. I am wondering if the homeowner was sending a message to Blacks moving in or was he flying a flag celebrating southern heritage. In the same vein, there is a ridiculous sculpture in downtown Detroit of a black fist dedicated to Joe Louis. In fact, it is being overhauled right now for repairs. Perhaps that should be taken down as it offends many whites.

https://www.google.com/search?q=joe+...w=1242&bih=606
If you're being serious, you're just as ridiculous as the OP (ridiculed throughout the thread).

Who could ever be "offended" by a sculpture of local hero Joe Louis' boxing fist?

Old 06-26-2015, 10:37 AM

5,177 posts, read 4,790,366 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cheese plate View Post
If you're being serious, you're just as ridiculous as the OP (ridiculed throughout the thread).

Who could ever be "offended" by a sculpture of local hero Joe Louis' boxing fist?
Those who see it as a display of that old "black power" that the Black Panthers used in the 60's.

Apparently the symbol has gone mainstream. Black Power Fist Gifts & Merchandise | Black Power Fist Gift Ideas & Apparel - CafePress

Old 06-26-2015, 10:41 AM

11,411 posts, read 7,803,058 times
Quote:
I know that the south is very proud. Many of the southerners are so frustrated right now because many of the southern states are removing the flag.. Do you think it will start another civil war?
And you know this how? I live in the South and no one I know has said a word about the flag being removed other than "about time". You're just assuming you know what's up with Southerners based on your biases and perhaps Hollywood's portrayal of them in movies.

Old 06-26-2015, 10:46 AM

698 posts, read 587,595 times
Quote:
This is not a regional thing. The only people upset are racists and their apologists and they live all over the country.

Old 06-26-2015, 10:46 AM

4,738 posts, read 4,433,724 times
Quote:

I really wonder what kind of person would ask this question.

I mean seriously

if the government announced tomorrow that Obama is now Emperor for life, and that the military has been deployed for "marital law" . . there wouldn't probaly be any civil war. . as Long as the military backed the administration and had nukes

So yeah. . your flag debate is laughable
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies