Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Will the removal of the Confederate flag cause another civil war?
Yes 17 7.30%
No 198 84.98%
Maybe 18 7.73%
Voters: 233. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-27-2015, 06:50 AM

25,848 posts, read 16,528,639 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by nycricanpapi View Post
I know that the south is very proud. Many of the southerners are so frustrated right now because many of the southern states are removing the flag.. Do you think it will start another civil war?
Let me follow up your question with another question.

Will southern liberals be happy for a week after this or will they start whining and crying about something else? How long can they stay off camera?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-27-2015, 07:18 AM

35,309 posts, read 52,305,052 times
Who would be the combatants in this hypothetical civil war?
North vs South?
Black vs white?
Republicans vs Democrats?
Etc

Old 06-27-2015, 07:20 AM

15,355 posts, read 12,651,768 times
You LOST, why woukd it start another civil war?

Old 06-27-2015, 07:21 AM

11,086 posts, read 8,544,279 times
Leeches vs taxpayers.

It's not about geography or political persuasion.

It's about the middle class having no representation for their interests in any branch of government.

You know, taxation without representation. Heard that before?

Old 06-27-2015, 07:24 AM

23,856 posts, read 13,749,968 times
Quote:
I know that the south is very proud. Many of the southerners are so frustrated right now because many of the southern states are removing the flag.. Do you think it will start another civil war?
No.

Also, you didn't ask, but I'm offering my opinion anyway - it's kind of a silly question.

Old 06-27-2015, 07:27 AM

23,856 posts, read 13,749,968 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Redshadowz View Post
I want this whole country to collapse honestly. It is populated by filth. And the demands from the left get more absurd every day.

The political right keeps thinking about elections, and their own pocketbooks, while pretending that they are better than everyone else. They can't see that the world belongs to those who fight for it. It belongs to those with the loudest voices. That is how it is, and that is how it has always been. If you're too stupid to realize it, at least get out of the way.
Oh dear, I'm so sorry. Would you like a nice cup of peppermint tea?

Old 06-27-2015, 07:30 AM

6,793 posts, read 5,662,429 times
Quote:
You could not be more wrong!

The Battle Flag for the Army of Northern Virginia has been a symbol of the South and that Antebellum era for a long time. I like to see that flag on confederate soldiers graves, i like to see it at Civil War battle grounds and monuments, i don't think it has any place on top of a State Capital. It never belonged there, it was NOT flying on any state capital during the four years of the rebellion so why the heck should it fly there afterwards.. that never made any since.

Sure there will be a handful of folks get all huffy puffy about it but that wont last long and soon they will find them selves knee deep in some other silly controversy..

Last edited by mco65; 06-27-2015 at 07:43 AM..

Old 06-27-2015, 07:41 AM

14,848 posts, read 8,208,835 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wayland Woman View Post
And what do you want to replace the government with...those who want to be dictators with the loudest voices and biggest guns? No thank you.

So do you actually want to know what I actually want? Or do you want me to tell you what is actually possible?

I had the worst sleep last night, because I just became increasingly obsessed with ideas. Mainly, Abraham Lincoln, John Maynard Keynes, and China.

But all of that was just a part of a post I was going to write, on the dynamics of political power, and how political power has shifted and become more centralized, and more importantly, how the imbalance of power between urban and rural, as a result of rural people basically never protesting much of anything or being remotely politically organized(at least, compared to their adversaries), actually creates a sort of "rule of the minority", not democracy.

Basically, as a general rule, rural people just want to be left alone. But people who want to be left alone, tend not to be involved in political organizations. They may come on the internet and complain(of which they seem to be overwhelming in number), but they are rarely active in the real world. While people who want something, protest and threaten, either violently, or economically, and are far more likely to get it.

Which goes back to my original post. Those with the loudest voices rule the world. So the question is, how do you give a voice to basically "the silent majority"? Instead of all voices being drowned out by a corrupt corporate media, their financial backers, and the government?

My point was, I think conservatives are doing a TERRIBLE job. Because they are always focused on elections, and maintaining the status quo. Because they are either unwilling to risk their own lives or livelihoods, or because they imagine themselves as the great patriots who love their country more than anyone else. And thus, they willingly are handing it over to the "crazies", because they are unwilling to actually fight for much of anything. Or possibly, because they are simply too ignorant to understand what is happening.

Old 06-27-2015, 08:29 AM

9,437 posts, read 7,369,351 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pyroninja42 View Post
That is, quite possibly, one of the silliest notions I've ever heard.
You clearly haven't spent much time around Obama supporters on CD, this doesn't even break the top 10 silliest notions here.

Old 06-27-2015, 09:33 AM

5,756 posts, read 3,998,245 times
Charleston South Carolina was different from Baltimore or Ferguson because love and cooler heads prevailed over hate and symbolism.It was only when the great divider came spoke and now the spark of unrest has now ignited.
Yes some of our past and current history needs to be addressed but not at an eulogy for those servants of God taken away by hate.The victims showed love and understanding to their attacker not ridicule for past transgressions but welcomed like a lost sheep returning to the flock...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies