Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-27-2015, 06:54 PM

1,243 posts, read 1,147,058 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by katzpaw View Post
ISIS has a black flag with Arabic writing on it and non-terrorist Muslim groups have black flags with Arabic writing on them. I don't know the difference and doubt a low paid Walmart employee would know the difference either. I may have it backwards but believe Sunnis traditionally carried a white flag and Shiites a black flag. Like the stars and bars the black flag has been co-opted (black flag by ISIS).
With all due respect, does any of what you said matter? The fact that it's been in the news and on every single bit of media we are bombarded with every day should have made someone question what they were doing? What if I decided to have them make a cake in Greek that states "All Jews Should Die!!!"? The employee wouldn't know what it stated, but a simple - and quick - Google translate would have informed the Wal-Mart employee that what they were printing was a hate message.

Should they go ahead and print it, now knowing what it says? Or simply because most people couldn't read it makes the message any less wrong?

You also said that you beleive that the black flag has been co-opted by by ISIS and turned into something with a different meaning. Please do NOT try to deny that this very same thing has happened to the Confederate flag by the very hate groups that even us southerners despise. Does this mean that simply because someone else has decided to apply a different meaning top something, we should ALL drop it's use? Please tell me that you aren't that obtuse.

If that's the case, I will usurp the the use of the Pink ribbon. It now means to me "Pork Rinds Rule!!". I - and my followers - will now be using it for that meaning, and that meaning only. You will accept this meaning and acknowledge it as the ONLY meaning for the Pink ribbon. It doesn't matter that it offends those that designed it for their original meaning, only what I have decided to apply to it. Therefore the original meaning is now void. I DECLARE IT, THUS MAKE IT SO!!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-27-2015, 07:23 PM

14,317 posts, read 22,385,663 times
Default What the Confederacy stands for is WORSE than ISIS

The Confederate flag is the most offensive symbol IN THE WORLD.

Old 06-27-2015, 07:31 PM

3,617 posts, read 3,884,082 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Finn_Jarber View Post
It seems clear to me that WallMart made the call in this Southern store simply because a large percentage of their customers are blacks who are currently up an arms about the rebel flag nonsense. They are trying to not lose customers. It is a business desicion, not a conspiracy. Or maybe the employee who refused to bake the cake was black. That would also explain it.
Quote:
Originally Posted by katzpaw View Post
The Walmart spokes person... later explained to TheDC, “We made the decision to stop selling Confederate flag related items promoting the flag’s image. For that reason we did not make the cake. [Netzhammer] brought in the other image of ISIS and really, what happened, was our associate didn’t recognize what that image was and what it meant or it wouldn’t have been made.”
This.

The ISIS flag is pretty obscure. I have no clue what it is myself. The confederate flag is not, and Walmart has made it corporate policy not to carry, which is pretty understandable because offending a good chunk of your customers and employees isn't a good play (of course they also offended people by yanking it, but at the end of the day sometimes you're in a no-win situations and still have to make a decision).

Old 06-27-2015, 07:46 PM

A quote from Lilyflower that somehow has been deleted for reasons unknown:

Is ignorance really any kind of legitimate excuse?

Terror attacks on 3 continents; ISIS claims responsibility. Guess Walmart doesn't care about foreigners, Muslims, Jews, and Christians, women, and men, kids, babies, oh well.

Exactly. How hard would it be for the powers-that-be in Wal-Mart to make their employees do a Google search on anything with foreign letters?

If ignorance of the law is no excuse in American jurisprudence, then it shouldn't be in these situations either. If you are going to discriminate, then you have to do it across the board, and not what you personally find offensive or what the current "flavor of the month" is.

Old 06-27-2015, 07:50 PM

39,228 posts, read 27,603,964 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Starman71 View Post
A quote from Lilyflower that somehow has been deleted for reasons unknown:

Is ignorance really any kind of legitimate excuse?

Terror attacks on 3 continents; ISIS claims responsibility. Guess Walmart doesn't care about foreigners, Muslims, Jews, and Christians, women, and men, kids, babies, oh well.

Exactly. How hard would it be for the powers-that-be in Wal-Mart to make their employees do a Google search on anything with foreign letters?

If ignorance of the law is no excuse in American jurisprudence, then it shouldn't be in these situations either. If you are going to discriminate, then you have to do it across the board, and not what you personally find offensive or what the current "flavor of the month" is.
Oh I deleted that post because I was not in the mood of arguing with anybody.

Thanks for the post though and I agree.

Old 06-27-2015, 08:05 PM

8,030 posts, read 9,052,833 times
Quote:
So many of you post that you wouldn't/didn't recognize the ISIS flag, and I understand that, if your head has been up your a$$ for the last couple of years.

The fact that the ISIS flag represents a much bigger threat to American security than the Stars and Bars does is a sad fact when so many of you just blow off this situation.
Yep.

Quote:
Originally Posted by LexusNexus View Post
What the Confederacy stands for is WORSE than ISIS
Of course... because in 2015, murdering small children, throwing gay citizens from rooftops, chopping heads off people of minority religions, and shooting/bombing innocents is all good with you. You're more fearful of a relic. Thanks for being honest.

Old 06-27-2015, 08:23 PM

6,542 posts, read 4,094,955 times
Quote:
So many of you post that you wouldn't/didn't recognize the ISIS flag, and I understand that, if your head has been up your a$$ for the last couple of years.

The fact that the ISIS flag represents a much bigger threat to American security than the Stars and Bars does is a sad fact when so many of you just blow off this situation.
You can know what ISIS is without knowing what the flag looks like. I would bet quite a bit that the Walmart employees know what ISIS is; they just don't recognize the flag. And why would they? A black flag with a language that doesn't even has the same letter system as we have. That's not gonna be that easy to just pick up on. They may have seen glimpses of it on the news, but that's it. Not enough for most people to recognize it immediately.

Old 06-27-2015, 08:27 PM

7,474 posts, read 7,034,396 times
So... a bunch of people who don't know any better put a relatively obscure symbol of a terrorist group on a cake... and that means "liberals" are the problem. Right, sure. Let's hear it for far-right wing reasoning.

Sometimes, this forum doesn't even need a response section. The lunacy should just be put on display to the world so people can see what the sane people in this nation are up against. And these people get to vote, too... it's sad, though it explains so badly why this country is in the shape it's in.

Old 06-27-2015, 08:30 PM

7,474 posts, read 7,034,396 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sxrckr View Post
Yep.

Of course... because in 2015, murdering small children, throwing gay citizens from rooftops, chopping heads off people of minority religions, and shooting/bombing innocents is all good with you. You're more fearful of a relic. Thanks for being honest.
Symbols - and what they represent - don't die.

Look up what went on the Deep South. Slavery, lynchings, etc. Quite frankly, a good chunk of it wasn't much different than what ISIS pulls, just often with less advanced technology. And that horrible behavior and what it means is linked to the rebel flag - that is what that flag represents now, not nonsense about "state's rights" or some drek, anymore than the swastika represents "peaceful German pride."

In the long run, all those flags will be displayed together as symbols of hatred, bigotry, and ignorance, and nobody will be interested in sad excuses why one person's hatred is "better" than another's.

Old 06-27-2015, 08:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheDusty View Post
You can know what ISIS is without knowing what the flag looks like. I would bet quite a bit that the Walmart employees know what ISIS is; they just don't recognize the flag. And why would they? A black flag with a language that doesn't even has the same letter system as we have. That's not gonna be that easy to just pick up on. They may have seen glimpses of it on the news, but that's it. Not enough for most people to recognize it immediately.
You do have a point.

But let's use a little bit of common sense here. If you are the Wal-Mart administration, wouldn't it be in your best interest to make sure that any and all cakes made with private toppings/messages be understood before being made? If only from a practical - legal - point of view, wouldn't it make sense to verify that which your employees are putting on cakes so it doesn't come back to bite you on the a$$? And, again... How hard would it be to use Google Translate to verify that which is being made? Or since a pic sometimes is being used, then simply use the internet to determine what the scanned pic states? Therefore you wouldn't have to rely on the education/intelligence of the employee to determine if something is racist/discriminatory.

Instead, let's only refuse to supply products that we only recognize as being potentially discriminatory? This is absolutely absurd!!! You're relying on ability of a wide variety of educated/non-educated employees across this continent to determine that which is discriminating, not to mention that you're relying on those individuals own interpretation of what's discriminating or not.

See the problem?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies