Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-01-2015, 10:52 AM

31,036 posts, read 22,064,322 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by burdell View Post
Really? I'd guess being gay feels perfectly normal to a homosexual. What is it that makes you believe that you, Taratova, or any other individual has been granted the power to decide what's 'normal'?
"I'd guess being gay feels perfectly normal to a homosexual"
I'm sure it does, same as Hetero's finding homosexuality not normal, compared to the majority of the population.

" individual has been granted the power to decide what's 'normal'"
Well, you would have to be more specific than. 97% of the population that is Heterosexual would consider Heterosexuality normal, to them. The 3% of the population that is Gay would consider Heterosexual sex abnormal or gross, to them.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-01-2015, 11:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by StillwaterTownie View Post
In my county of 80,000 people, only 6 gay couples have stepped forward to obtain marriage licenses since they could do so last fall. With gays making up only 2% of the population and so few out of that getting married why should I worry how they legally find their happiness?

"In my county of 80,000 people, only 6 gay couples have stepped forward to obtain marriage licenses since they could do so last fall. "

0.0075% How something that affects such a small segment of the population has garnered so much attention is amazing. There are more Hermaphrodites in the general population than that.

Old 07-01-2015, 11:04 AM

"In my county of 80,000 people, only 6 gay couples have stepped forward to obtain marriage licenses since they could do so last fall. "

0.0075% How something that affects such a small segment of the population has garnered so much attention is amazing. It's a subset of a small subset of the population. There are more Hermaphrodites in the general population than that.

Last edited by LS Jaun; 07-01-2015 at 11:31 AM..

Old 07-01-2015, 11:38 AM

674 posts, read 611,253 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jowel View Post
I haven't read all 150+ posts, so someone else may have said this, but if so, considering this my vote of confirmation.

Anyway, I agree that this is a peculiar issue to be become so obsessed with when casting stones and declaring sin, when there are much bigger fish to fry (regardless of what someone thinks about same sex marriage).

If someone really wanted to attack a behavior (regardless of whether the person is engaging in this with the opposite or the same sex), they could spend more resources on the negative consequences caused by how casually people take the commitment of marriage and promiscuity in general.

From the lost productivity and mental health problems someone endures when a mate (of either gender) is unfaithful, which also has led to physical violence in many cases, which affects entire communities to STDs to the need for abortions, to children growing up in poverty and all around unhealthy, unstable situations. That is my absolute worst peeve about marriage in general, when adults take marriage so cavalierly when kids are involved, and then the kids are dragged into being shuffled from their "real" parent to Stepparent #1, #2, #3, or some random casual fling dude who's trying to play daddy as long as the kid's mother is putting out, before he gets tired of her and dumps her and the child without thinking about the consequences. It takes its toll on kids, their self esteem, behavior, future stability, propensity for future crime/violence, etc. , and this can happen with either gay or straight people, but the worse perpetrators are the jump from relationship to relationship "parents", who by the law of probability are usually (though not always) straight.

I think this is the real moral failing concerning marriage that people apparently aren't taking seriously (or else we wouldn't have so many haphazard situations in which kids are raised) moral energy would be much better spent on dealing with this abomination than crusading against the gay marriage issue, which doesn't affect nearly as many people anyway.

Hah, exactly.

I don't think I could have put it better.

It's a vicious cycle, too, since kids who grow up in environments like those you've described are much more likely to do the same thing when they get older.

Back when I was still searching for a mate, this was even scarier for me, because most people I found took a similar attitude toward love. The dating world these days is full of young men who don't want to get married but who will refuse to date anyone who won't "put out" for them, and it's full of young women who are so accustomed to that state of affairs that they treat it as normal. The result is a generation of kids for whom commitment, loyalty, and monogamy are foreign concepts.

You get people who just want to date for a while and then leave for greener pastures as soon as the novelty wears off, and you get people who treat marriage the same way. This leads to adults who can't fathom forming stable family units and, inevitably, kids who don't even know what that would mean.

At the last minute, I got lucky and found someone who shares my values, and now I'm happy. However, I was thiiiiis close to giving up on American family culture and living a single, chaste life.

Aside from civil rights and fairness and everything else, I'm happy for the recent gay marriage ruling because it's allowing millions of gay people to celebrate monogamy, and that's something I treasure more than just about anything else.

Old 07-01-2015, 12:18 PM

11,466 posts, read 19,348,947 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by twinArmageddons View Post
You're absolutely right.

And the truth is, same-sex marriage does not in any way disintegrate society or the family unit.
Yeah maybe the distorted truth, the future has not been written, we will see as time goes by. The first thing I saw on the local news this morning was a bunch of people waving rainbow flags and demanding churches loose their tax exempt status, when you keep pushing at some point you get pushed back, churches have a lot of money to do that.

Old 07-01-2015, 12:55 PM

17,291 posts, read 29,397,659 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Roaddog View Post
Yeah maybe the distorted truth, the future has not been written, we will see as time goes by. The first thing I saw on the local news this morning was a bunch of people waving rainbow flags and demanding churches loose their tax exempt status, when you keep pushing at some point you get pushed back, churches have a lot of money to do that.

Don't forget it is CHURCHES who pushed first.

It is CHURCHES who funded and got-out-the-vote to implement gay marriage bans.

It is CHURCHES who have rallied their people to oppose civil rights guarantees for gay folks, job protection, etc.

It is CHURCHES who have led every pitched battle against gay people. Gay people have never asked anything of churches, only the government, but churches have still funded the war against them.

So no, Roaddog, the ones FINALLY "pushing back" are gay people and their allies, tired of the church bully busy-bodies.

Old 07-01-2015, 12:56 PM

12,601 posts, read 7,224,212 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TriMT7 View Post

It is CHURCHES who have rallied their people to oppose civil rights guarantees for gay folks, job protection, etc.

It is CHURCHES who have led every pitched battle against gay people. Gay people have never asked anything of churches, only the government, but churches have still funded the war against them.

So no, Roaddog, the ones FINALLY "pushing back" are gay people and their allies, tired of the church bully busy-bodies.
Spot on!

Old 07-01-2015, 01:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TriMT7 View Post

Yeah lets see what happens when you hit those churches in their bank accounts. LOL The churches did nothing to Homosexuals, it was the government.

Old 07-01-2015, 01:08 PM

12,601 posts, read 7,224,212 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Roaddog View Post
Yeah lets see what happens when you hit those churches in their bank accounts. LOL The churches did nothing to Homosexuals, it was the government.
You can't be serious, are you?

Old 07-01-2015, 01:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Old Town FFX View Post
You can't be serious, are you?
The government could have granted it to you at any time, you didn't even try, instead you all played the victim to religion. it wasn't churches stopping you it was that you had no backing in government until Big Obama decided to go Gay so he could claim another false victory for himself. now that you have what you want you move ahead and attack the church in the wallet, Give it some time and see how that works out for you.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies