Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-26-2015, 12:47 PM

17,291 posts, read 29,402,468 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tilt11 View Post
Their case has already been made. Equality, check. Love, check.

The government has zero business being involved in marriage in the first place. They need to get out of that business. But they wont because they want to get involved with everything they possibly can.

Well then go ahead and make that argument if you want. Challenge the government's right if you care so much. But seems to me nobody cared to make that argument until people that were different from you started to demand the same rights and privileges that you have. Then all of a sudden, "government in marriage is bad!"

But look: nobody FORCES you to get a marriage license. It really isn't requisite. If you want to "opt out" of government marriage recognition, then by all means don't register your marriage with the state. Just go to church and be married before od or Allah or Thor.

Again: NONE of this affects you and how you order YOUR life, so why are you guys so obsessed?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tilt11
My biggest issue with this, besides what is next, is religious freedom. How long before churches are being sued for not performing gay marriages? 5 years ago 10 years ago, no one would've believed a businesses would be forced to provide services for gay weddings. Now they are forced to. It is only a matter of time before churches are a target.
No. Completely different situation. Unfounded and unnecessary concern trolling.

Churches have NEVER been forced to do marriages for people outside of their religion, despite the fact that there is religious equal protection.

Businesses, however, have routinely been forced to serve people they "don't agree with" for decades and generations due to equal protection reasons.

This shouldn't have to be explained to people. Least of all politicians who don't seem to know how "the law works" despite wanting to be voted into positions where they would have authority to MAKE laws!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-26-2015, 12:49 PM

17,291 posts, read 29,402,468 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by victimofGM View Post
I look forward to the first same sex marriage in an Islamic mosque in Dearborn Michigan. You think Christians opposed gay marriage, wait till you see the Muslim reaction. After all, Islamic countries today imprison or publicly execute people for being gay.

Well it's always nice to give "American Christians (TM)" a reminder of whose side they're REALLY on, and with whom their interests ultimately align.

Old 06-26-2015, 12:59 PM

22,190 posts, read 19,462,661 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by victimofGM View Post
I look forward to the first same sex marriage in an Islamic mosque in Dearborn Michigan. You think Christians opposed gay marriage, wait till you see the Muslim reaction. After all, Islamic countries today imprison or publicly execute people for being gay.

This ruling has nothing to do with a Church, Mosque, or any other House of worship has to do. This is about CIVIL government recognized marriage.

Old 06-26-2015, 01:07 PM

1,379 posts, read 1,761,412 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CALGUY View Post
This has been a long thread, and religion has been mentioned more than once here, so I think it is time to take a look at this "religious freedom" as it pertains to this court ruling, and on into the future.
Since the beginning of time, religious freedom has been on the battlefield of human existence, and it is highly unlikely that will change.
This ruling by the court will do nothing in the minds of those who are entrenched in the thought of "religious freedom".

Perhaps it is time to take a realistic look at what has transpired over the years with regard to homosexuality.
Those people who I loosely term as bible thumpers perhaps need to take another look at society, and understand that just because their bible teachings proclaim the "word of God", there is nothing, nothing that states the Supreme entity that created us all, could indeed have taken a second look at what is going on here on earth.

The Thumpers , through their bible, proclaim God is all knowing, and all loving, and I believe that to be true.
Who among us is all knowing that they can say all in the human existence is written in stone, never to be changed?
Do you not think the Almighty God , through infinite wisdom, saw the earth as not being able to sustain with the ever escalating population ?

The God must have determined this to be true, and created a mass of people who would not want to reproduce, there by decreasing the population .
Imagine if you will, all gay and lesbian people(if they were heterosexual) having two children each.
Enough said.

So here we are today, the human existence here in this country has changed , and though many are in disagreement, the law is now, the law of the land.
"Religious freedom" will take on a new meaning now,and many will use this as a crutch to ward off intrusion by what now is the law of the land.
To those who would use this method, I would say perhaps instead of going by what you read in a book that was authored thousands of years ago, you take a good look at what the Almighty has decreed in today's world.

The bible is yesterday, and for many they will stay entrenched in the teachings of thousands of years ago.
I pity those who can't move mover forward in their thinking.
There is not one human on this earth that can , with authority , say that the Almighty could not stray from it's original thought, and decree.

Today is a day of celebration, not only for gays and lesbians, but for all that clearly understand this day would never have been possible if it were not meant to happen.
A much higher power than the SCOTUS is in play, and as this issues was dealt with, so will the morals of "religious freedom" be dealt with in the future as it relates to this decision made today.
I would tell the bible touting people to put aside your archaic misguided feelings, and for once try to understand that just maybe, the creator of all declared, "and it shall be so".

Bob.
There is no evidence of any "deity" thinking anything about gay marriage. Gods don't exist. If the Biblical God exists, he / she / it just sees this ruling today as humans approving and legalizing behavior that is an abomination to God. Shall I quote verses? Thankfully, I'm atheist and don't believe any of the supernatural nonsense.

Old 06-26-2015, 01:10 PM

18,630 posts, read 19,418,524 times
Vile Kennedy strikes again, I hope he roasts in Hell.

Old 06-26-2015, 01:13 PM

1,379 posts, read 1,761,412 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Smash255 View Post
This ruling has nothing to do with a Church, Mosque, or any other House of worship has to do. This is about CIVIL government recognized marriage.
Correct. This is a ruling that does not involve the concept of "marriage in the eyes of some God"as far as our country's secular government. The different religious faiths may not like the ruling and state that some God disapproves but that is beside the point. The churches, mosques, temples and what not are related to religious marriages not state / secular marriages.

Old 06-26-2015, 01:16 PM

15,088 posts, read 13,450,610 times
Default Here's one thing conservatives have never explained: how does it hurt you if two gay people are in a legal union?

No one is forcing you to pay for the ceremony.
No one is forcing you to attend and watch.
No one is forcing you to be friends with gay people or like anything about them.
No one is forcing your church to change its teachings and start performing gay marriages.

So how does it harm you if two of them are in a legally-recognized, secular union with equivalent survivorship, estate, and inheritance rights?

Does it stop you from enjoying any rights?
Does it stop you from going about your business and paying your bills?
Does it somehow infringe on your marriages?
What's the deal?..

Don't give me some variant of the argument that it somehow "cheapens" marriage... please, have you looked at the divorce rates among overwhelmingly heterosexual marriages?

Why can't conservatives just deal with the fact that people different from them - people they don't even have to interact with if they don't want to - might have the same legal relationship rights as them?

The only reason I can think of is because they are different from you and you hate that and can't live and let live.

Old 06-26-2015, 01:16 PM

1,549 posts, read 1,063,244 times
^^ Regarding the above statement, I think God would beg to differ.

It's not a good day for those who actually still have a moral compass.

Old 06-26-2015, 01:17 PM

4,876 posts, read 4,206,170 times
I'm a conservative...and I'm thrilled with the SCOTUS decision today!

I have friends who are gay and have believed for a long time that their love is no less than any other and that they should have a right to marry.

Why the generalization?

Old 06-26-2015, 01:20 PM

79,907 posts, read 44,199,011 times
The right to marry won (which I support) so why continue poking people in the eye? Be a good winner.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies