Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-26-2015, 04:52 PM
Status: "everybody getting reported now.." (set 24 days ago)

29,560 posts, read 16,548,014 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by xboxmas View Post
I always hear liberals saying "Your kids and grandchildren will think its nuts that lesbians and gays couldn't marry just like how you think its nuts that there used to be segregation and no interracial marriage in your parents and grandparents generation."

That is not true at all. No matter what, gays only make up 2% of the population, and even less of them actually get married. Even though being gay has been legal for as long as most can remember, there are many people who take a double look when they see two people of the same sex holding hands in a park. Someone from San Francisco might think its normal, but somebody from a small town would think it was weird. Same goes for marriage. Its not like suddenly everybody in the US will accept it. Many are indifferent, but they still find it unusual. There will still be many places in the US where people will always find it unusual and weird, no matter how much the media and internet pushes it on us. Since the gay population is so small, its never going to be seen as "normal" except maybe in ultra liberal places like Seattle or San Francisco. Its been legal in Washington state for almost 3 years, and many people are still against it. In some parts of the state, there are virtually no gays.

Its different with blacks and other minorities with interracial marriage because they are more common. I don't think anybody finds it unusual because most people know an interracial couple(my own parents included). Like I said before, gays make up less than 3% of the population, so chances are, most people will never attend a gay wedding in their lifetimes even though its legal.

So generations to come will still find it odd, especially since the norms are one man and one woman.
its hard to tell if you are actually asking for a genuine discussion on the issue, but lets give it a shot.

You are arguing within the context of 2 different subjects.

The first subject is whether or not the legality of same sex marriage will be seen as normal for future generations

the second is whether or not the simple act of being gay would be seen is normal.

Those subjects are not one in the same.

There are plenty of people who are openly anti interracial marriage, but if you ask a kid today, they would be shocked to find out that it was once illegal, and it is still not normal(textbook definition) today to see an interracial couple.

So the example you used is perfect for why you are wrong. Something does not have to be normal for you to be baffled by the fact that it was once illegal.

Last edited by CaseyB; 06-26-2015 at 06:04 PM.. Reason: TOS violation
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-26-2015, 04:54 PM

4,472 posts, read 3,826,625 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oakformonday View Post
I didn't bother to read whatever the OP wrote or anyone else so sorry if I am repeating. It is like how the grandchildren of the people who used to support anti-miscegenation fell that it is "weird" that their grandparents supported this. Or women given the right to vote, landless people given the right to vote, illiterates given the right to vote, women being able to go to a bar alone or open their own checking account. On and on... I am proud to be an American where rights are given to everyone - eventually anyways.
The women argument is weak. Women make up more or less 50% of the population. Gays are only 2%. Everywhere you look there are women. In many places you have to look hard to find a gay.

Old 06-26-2015, 04:55 PM

27,307 posts, read 16,226,860 times
My 6 year old daughter already thinks its weird.

Old 06-26-2015, 04:55 PM

4,472 posts, read 3,826,625 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by twinArmageddons View Post
The only way people will find it odd if is they are raised with bigotry TO find it odd. That is behavior that is learned, not innate.
So were Obama and Hillary bigots a few years ago?

Old 06-26-2015, 04:58 PM

6,542 posts, read 4,095,978 times
Quote:
No matter what, man-woman marriage will always be the common one. Gay marriage will always be seen as weird in many places. Especially since it will never be that common anyway, unless you are living in liberal areas.
Being 'not-normal' does not mean it will be viewed negatively. It's normal to be over 6'3" but people who are aren't to be treated differently. Same with gay people. Yeah, they'll always be the minority, but that doesn't mean everyone will always see a gay person and think poorly of them or that they shouldn't have the right to get married.

Old 06-26-2015, 05:01 PM

41,479 posts, read 59,791,864 times
I have always thought it was weird to deny homosexual couples the legal complexities of marriage. Why shouldn't they go through the legal complications of divorce? This is a major victory for the legal profession as they will have an entirely new market.

Old 06-26-2015, 05:04 PM

6,500 posts, read 6,037,907 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheDusty View Post
Being 'not-normal' does not mean it will be viewed negatively. It's normal to be over 6'3" but people who are aren't to be treated differently. Same with gay people. Yeah, they'll always be the minority, but that doesn't mean everyone will always see a gay person and think poorly of them or that they shouldn't have the right to get married.
Maybe not. But, I dont exactly view it positively when I see men basically acting like an odder version of a female. That is just not natural and I cant see any positives to it. Sounds harsh I guess but Ill say this. Maybe there is a positive part of it. It always gives me a chuckle when I see obvious butch women that are practically dudes, and femi-dudes. To this day, I cant help but laugh. So I suppose it isn't all negative, they do provide humor.

Old 06-26-2015, 05:06 PM

13,694 posts, read 9,011,664 times
Quote:
The women argument is weak. Women make up more or less 50% of the population. Gays are only 2%. Everywhere you look there are women. In many places you have to look hard to find a gay.
May I ask, where do you get the 2 percent statistic?

Plus, do you think that basic 'rights' under our Constitution is a percentage right? That 'majority' have rights denied to the minority? Were you against the Civil Rights Act, because black Americans were a 'minority' race in this country?

Old 06-26-2015, 05:07 PM

39,874 posts, read 26,514,597 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by legalsea View Post
May I ask, where do you get the 2 percent statistic?

Plus, do you think that basic 'rights' under our Constitution is a percentage right? That 'majority' have rights denied to the minority? Were you against the Civil Rights Act, because black Americans were a 'minority' race in this country?
Yeah, seems high to me too. I've read 1% or less.

Old 06-26-2015, 05:11 PM

5,913 posts, read 3,186,735 times
Quote:
Oh, but you ignore my other points. K/ When it comes to civil rights, the percentage of the population being denied is irrelevant. Nobody is arguing that point. Example for you to understand: In your opinion, it is okay to discriminate against redheads b/c they are a small % of the population.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies