Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-26-2015, 04:18 PM

4,477 posts, read 3,832,025 times

Advertisements

I always hear liberals saying "Your kids and grandchildren will think its nuts that lesbians and gays couldn't marry just like how you think its nuts that there used to be segregation and no interracial marriage in your parents and grandparents generation."

That is not true at all. No matter what, gays only make up 2% of the population, and even less of them actually get married. Even though being gay has been legal for as long as most can remember, there are many people who take a double look when they see two people of the same sex holding hands in a park. Someone from San Francisco might think its normal, but somebody from a small town would think it was weird. Same goes for marriage. Its not like suddenly everybody in the US will accept it. Many are indifferent, but they still find it unusual. There will still be many places in the US where people will always find it unusual and weird, no matter how much the media and internet pushes it on us. Since the gay population is so small, its never going to be seen as "normal" except maybe in ultra liberal places like Seattle or San Francisco. Its been legal in Washington state for almost 3 years, and many people are still against it. In some parts of the state, there are virtually no gays.

Its different with blacks and other minorities with interracial marriage because they are more common. I don't think anybody finds it unusual because most people know an interracial couple(my own parents included). Like I said before, gays make up less than 3% of the population, so chances are, most people will never attend a gay wedding in their lifetimes even though its legal.

So generations to come will still find it odd, especially since the norms are one man and one woman.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-26-2015, 04:24 PM

39,876 posts, read 26,550,083 times
Society changes over time. It's no different than gun laws. Someday children will think it's nuts that concealed carry was banned in most states and that the states insisted on keeping society safe for criminals. Just like they will wonder what kind of idiots thought the 2nd amendment was about the National Guard, instead of the same "people" in the other bill of rights.

Old 06-26-2015, 04:30 PM

23,856 posts, read 13,777,219 times
I'm a boomer. Our generation's children and grandchildren already think it's weird, and have for sometime.

Old 06-26-2015, 04:34 PM

4,571 posts, read 3,524,773 times
My kids think homosexual relationships and marriages are creepy. Of course, I have normal, well-adjusted children that don't buy into the militant left and homosexual blathering. They understand that sexual relationships between the same sex are abnormal. And no matter how the law was re-written to allow homosexuals to marry, most people, even if they accept that it's now legal, know that it's a perversion. They always have, they always will.

Old 06-26-2015, 04:42 PM

6,542 posts, read 4,100,753 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by xboxmas View Post
I always hear liberals saying "Your kids and grandchildren will think its nuts that lesbians and gays couldn't marry just like how you think its nuts that there used to be segregation and no interracial marriage in your parents and grandparents generation."

That is not true at all. No matter what, gays only make up 2% of the population, and even less of them actually get married. Even though being gay has been legal for as long as most can remember, there are many people who take a double look when they see two people of the same sex holding hands in a park. Someone from San Francisco might think its normal, but somebody from a small town would think it was weird. Same goes for marriage. Its not like suddenly everybody in the US will accept it. Many are indifferent, but they still find it unusual. There will still be many places in the US where people will always find it unusual and weird, no matter how much the media and internet pushes it on us. Since the gay population is so small, its never going to be seen as "normal" except maybe in ultra liberal places like Seattle or San Francisco. Its been legal in Washington state for almost 3 years, and many people are still against it. In some parts of the state, there are virtually no gays.

Its different with blacks and other minorities with interracial marriage because they are more common. I don't think anybody finds it unusual because most people know an interracial couple(my own parents included). Like I said before, gays make up less than 3% of the population, so chances are, most people will never attend a gay wedding in their lifetimes even though its legal.

So generations to come will still find it odd, especially since the norms are one man and one woman.
What? You mean major societal change didn't occur 3 years after it was legalized? Yeah, that basically means it will never happen. In other news, I ate a sandwich today and did my part in ending world hunger, though it will start back up again around 6 pm.

Libertarianism will likely, and dare I say, hopefully, become more prominent over the years. What I plan on teaching my kids, should I choose to have them, is to accept others as they are and mind their own business. If they find themselves on a path that leads them to think it's wrong, so be it, but all I can ever ask is that they respect others for who they are, not what they are. I feel that every decent person who has ever lived thinks like this.

But indeed, acceptance for homosexuality is higher the younger you look. Assuming they won't stop accepting it, it's logical to say that in the future, the idea that the state would prevent two people of the same sex from getting married will be seen as bizarre, or perhaps unjust or unnecessary.

Old 06-26-2015, 04:45 PM

6,500 posts, read 6,044,307 times
I dont know. I suppose its going to be beaten into everyone's head that homo this or that is "normal", despite the fact that it's not. They are always going to be abnormal. I can't help but think if I was a kid today, the thought of another man being with a man and woman/woman would still be odd and sick to me. Whether they can help it or not, it is and always will be a weird perversion.

Old 06-26-2015, 04:47 PM

4,477 posts, read 3,832,025 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheDusty View Post
What? You mean major societal change didn't occur 3 years after it was legalized? Yeah, that basically means it will never happen. In other news, I ate a sandwich today and did my part in ending world hunger, though it will start back up again around 6 pm.

Libertarianism will likely, and dare I say, hopefully, become more prominent over the years. What I plan on teaching my kids, should I choose to have them, is to accept others as they are and mind their own business. If they find themselves on a path that leads them to think it's wrong, so be it, but all I can ever ask is that they respect others for who they are, not what they are. I feel that every decent person who has ever lived thinks like this.

But indeed, acceptance for homosexuality is higher the younger you look. Assuming they won't stop accepting it, it's logical to say that in the future, the idea that the state would prevent two people of the same sex from getting married will be seen as bizarre, or perhaps unjust or unnecessary.
No matter what, man-woman marriage will always be the common one. Gay marriage will always be seen as weird in many places. Especially since it will never be that common anyway, unless you are living in liberal areas.

Old 06-26-2015, 04:50 PM

23,856 posts, read 13,777,219 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ed from California View Post
My kids think homosexual relationships and marriages are creepy. Of course, I have normal, well-adjusted children that don't buy into the militant left and homosexual blathering. They understand that sexual relationships between the same sex are abnormal.
They're in the minority for their age group.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ed from California View Post
And no matter how the law was re-written to allow homosexuals to marry, most people, even if they accept that it's now legal, know that it's a perversion. They always have, they always will.
Speak for yourself. I know no such thing. I can think of few things more creepy or perverted than being forced into a legal sexual union with someone you don't desire, as happened in the past - and some people apparently still think that's OK - and few things more cruel than denying someone who wants the chance to marry someone they love.

Old 06-26-2015, 04:51 PM

5,913 posts, read 3,191,016 times
I didn't bother to read whatever the OP wrote or anyone else so sorry if I am repeating. It is like how the grandchildren of the people who used to support anti-miscegenation fell that it is "weird" that their grandparents supported this. Or women given the right to vote, landless people given the right to vote, illiterates given the right to vote, women being able to go to a bar alone or open their own checking account. On and on... I am proud to be an American where rights are given to everyone - eventually anyways.

Old 06-26-2015, 04:51 PM

8,346 posts, read 7,051,460 times
The only way people will find it odd if is they are raised with bigotry TO find it odd. That is behavior that is learned, not innate.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies