Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-28-2015, 01:37 AM

1,790 posts, read 2,044,542 times

Advertisements

Heaven forbid somebody change their mind on an issue and realize they were wrong. All of a sudden they're a liar.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-28-2015, 01:46 AM

12,547 posts, read 9,871,694 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stoke View Post
Heaven forbid somebody change their mind on an issue and realize they were wrong. All of a sudden they're a liar.
Did you not read what I quoted from the article he provided?

Quote:
Barack Obama misled Americans for his own political benefit when he claimed in the 2008 election to oppose same sex marriage for religious reasons, his former political strategist David Axelrod writes in a new book, Believer: My Forty Years in Politics.

As a state senate candidate in 1996, Obama filled out a questionnaire saying “I favor legalizing same-sex marriages, and would fight efforts to prohibit such marriages.” But 12 years later as a candidate for president, Obama told Rick Warren’s Saddleback Church that marriage could only extend to heterosexual couples. “I believe that marriage is the union between a man and a woman,” Obama said at the time. “Now, for me as a Christian — for me — for me as a Christian, it is also a sacred union. God’s in the mix.”
Barack was for gay marriage in 1996...than against it based on being a Christian and God being involved in 2008 (or so he said)....now he's for it.

Old 06-28-2015, 01:52 AM

52,433 posts, read 26,462,460 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stoke View Post
A favorite excuse of politicians from both parties.

Old 06-29-2015, 11:04 AM

491 posts, read 318,212 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by eddiehaskell View Post
Didn't read whole thread, but this does seem a little sleazy:

David Axelrod: Barack Obama Misled Nation On Gay Marriage In 2008

When you're lying and pulling God into your reasoning...wow. The religious principles one espouses are suppsed to be core beliefs that don't flip-flop with the polls in a manner of 4 years. Heck, I wouldn't be surprised if Obama is atheist....but of coure that would mean he bull****ted everyone during a eulogy for 9 blacks.
Thank you for this post. No matter how one feels about the gay marriage issue--and I respect people on both sides--there is never an excuse for this kind of disgusting deception. This tells you all you need to know about Barack Obama as a human being.

The ends never justify the means, not ever. That is the whole point that I am trying to make. Liberals would be rightfully livid if a conservative duped the public, said he was pro-choice, but then appointed SCOTUS justices who overturned Roe v. Wade.

Old 06-29-2015, 11:17 AM

21,989 posts, read 15,648,158 times
I know, it's not like some Republican - say - Mitt Romney, the Republican presidential nominee in 2012, didn't change his positions DRAMATICALLY from 1994 to 2012. He stayed exactly the same, right? Riiiight???

I lived in Massachusetts when Romney was governor. The Romney that ran for president in 2012 was a completely different guy.

“The change in the philosophy, ideology, was driven by the fact that he was exploring national office and he came to the realization that to be successful seeking the nomination, you had to become conservative,” said the adviser, who spoke on condition of anonymity because he was not an authorized spokesman. “As he got deeper into the process it became readily apparent to him that something had to happen.”
The adviser couldn’t say if the changes in positions were heartfelt “because I don’t know if the original positions were heartfelt.”

The political evolution of Mitt Romney On the day that George Romney declared his candidacy for governor, Mitt was there, absorbing his father

Old 06-29-2015, 11:35 AM

63,919 posts, read 46,557,288 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by natalie469 View Post
All politicians lie. Haven't you figured that out yet. But this isn't on obama, this is the supreme court's ruling.
5/9 on the Supreme Court were nominated by Republican Presidents.

Civil rights trumped politics.

Old 06-29-2015, 11:41 AM

63,919 posts, read 46,557,288 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dole-McCain Republican View Post
Thank you for this post. No matter how one feels about the gay marriage issue--and I respect people on both sides--there is never an excuse for this kind of disgusting deception. This tells you all you need to know about Barack Obama as a human being.

The ends never justify the means, not ever. That is the whole point that I am trying to make. Liberals would be rightfully livid if a conservative duped the public, said he was pro-choice, but then appointed SCOTUS justices who overturned Roe v. Wade.
The Supreme Court, not Obama, determined the outcome. It would not have mattered who sat the oval.

5/9 judges were nominated by Republican Presidents who at the time had traditional views on marriage.

Given 37 states made SSM legal demonstrates public opinion has evolved.

Old 06-29-2015, 11:42 AM

491 posts, read 318,212 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Seacove View Post
I know, it's not like some Republican - say - Mitt Romney, the Republican presidential nominee in 2012, didn't change his positions DRAMATICALLY from 1994 to 2012. He stayed exactly the same, right? Riiiight???

I lived in Massachusetts when Romney was governor. The Romney that ran for president in 2012 was a completely different guy.

“The change in the philosophy, ideology, was driven by the fact that he was exploring national office and he came to the realization that to be successful seeking the nomination, you had to become conservative,” said the adviser, who spoke on condition of anonymity because he was not an authorized spokesman. “As he got deeper into the process it became readily apparent to him that something had to happen.”
The adviser couldn’t say if the changes in positions were heartfelt “because I don’t know if the original positions were heartfelt.”

The political evolution of Mitt Romney On the day that George Romney declared his candidacy for governor, Mitt was there, absorbing his father
Romney's flip-flopping was reprehensible, but nobody was ever dumb enough to drink his Kool-Aid. It is a whole different story with Obama, and I think you know full well what I am talking about. Don't you remember back in 2008, when he was billed as a different type of leader, one who didn't play the games that others did and one who would be able to transcend politics? Do you remember how billions of people worldwide were stupid enough to believe that b.s. back then? And do you remember how this blantant lie on the part of Obama has been spun as if he somehow "evolved" on the issue of gay marriage?

Old 06-29-2015, 11:45 AM

21,989 posts, read 15,648,158 times
Quote:
Romney's flip-flopping was reprehensible, but nobody was ever dumb enough to drink his Kool-Aid. It is a whole different story with Obama, and I think you know full well what I am talking about. Don't you remember back in 2008, when he was billed as a different type of leader, one who didn't play the games that others did and one who would be able to transcend politics? Do you remember how billions of people worldwide were stupid enough to believe that b.s. back then? And do you remember how this blantant lie on the part of Obama has been spun as if he somehow "evolved" on the issue of gay marriage?
Uh, nope. I think Citizens United has turned our country into a joke. But don't forget, Romney was your presidential candidate, he just lost is all.

Old 06-29-2015, 11:47 AM

17,273 posts, read 9,510,115 times
Quote:
I really think that in the long-run the liberals will regret the way they attained victory in the gay marriage debate. The truth of the matter (much to my disappointment) was that public attitudes would eventually change, and the public would condone homosexuality and--more generally--gay marriage. However, social liberals were very impatient with this change, and felt that "the ends justified the means." To that end, they instructed the Democratic establishment politicians (from Obama on down) to deliberately lie to the people and say that they were opposed to gay marriage (back when the majority of Americans were opposed to it). Then, at almost precisely the exact moment a majority of people supported gay marriage, the entire Democratic establishment "evolved" and claimed to have had a genuine change of heart on the issue. In the meantime, Obama & company packed the judiciary with socially liberal judges who overturned voter-approved bans on gay marriage; this had the effect of shifting public opinion in favor of gay marriage at a far faster rate than would otherwise have happened.

If any liberal thinks that this lesson is lost on establishment Republicans, he or she is sorely mistaken. There is no excuse for this sickening deception (regardless of how you feel on any issue), but you can expect clever Republican politicians to employ similar tactics in the future. Personally, I predict that some socially conservative Republicans--in an attempt to woo women voters in blue and purple states--will pretend to be a lot more centrist on the issue of abortion than they actually are. As a matter of fact, we saw this in last year's CO Senate race when Cory Gardner walked back his previous support of a personhood amendment. (This reminded me so much of how candidate Obama claimed to support traditional marriage and retracted a 1996 statement in support of gay marriage.) Democrats should get ready for a much larger scale deception on the part of social conservatives, now that the liberals managed to win the gay marriage debate in the most underhanded and dishonest way possible. And after the conservatives have lied and packed the judiciary with staunch right-wing judges, I will feel zero sympathy for the liberal Democrats because it was their idol--Barack Obama--who showed us all how to deceive the voters.
Can anyone decipher this because I can't.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies