Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 06-29-2015, 12:23 PM

6,548 posts, read 7,279,139 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Labonte18 View Post
I haven't seen any that wanted special treatment.. They've just wanted the same treatment as others.
When I see news about gays wanting a religious organization/establishment/church to marry them and they refuse because of their believes, these places have been taken to court. Gays want people to live and let them live, that’s fine. But why not also have gays live and let others live as well. If a religion doesn’t want to support your lifestyle then let it be and don’t expect special treatment. It would be like me going to a vegetarian event and complaining because they don’t let me have a BBQ with ribs and carne asada in the middle of the event. I won’t do that because I already know their beliefs/mentality so why mess with it?

Old 06-29-2015, 12:59 PM

2,054 posts, read 2,568,609 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by onihC View Post
When I see news about gays wanting a religious organization/establishment/church to marry them and they refuse because of their believes, these places have been taken to court. Gays want people to live and let them live, that’s fine. But why not also have gays live and let others live as well. If a religion doesn’t want to support your lifestyle then let it be and don’t expect special treatment. It would be like me going to a vegetarian event and complaining because they don’t let me have a BBQ with ribs and carne asada in the middle of the event. I won’t do that because I already know their beliefs/mentality so why mess with it?
Bingo. Exactly what I meant, before, in my less than eloquent way of saying it. Thank you onihc.

Why must there be constant attacks on Christians and those who are proponents of same-sex marriage only?

It feels like an assault on my way of life, when my gay friends know that I support them fully in their relationships, and hope many happy years for them.

Old 06-29-2015, 02:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ashpelham View Post
Bingo. Exactly what I meant, before, in my less than eloquent way of saying it. Thank you Onihc.

Why must there be constant attacks on Christians and those who are proponents of same-sex marriage only?
Another thing that I don’t get is how a celebrity can come out of the closet and people will applaud him and cry happy tears. But have a sports athlete simply share about the faith he follows and he gets blasted, interview gets cut off, there are protests outside the studio, etc. Like I said, live and let live should apply to those who support them and those who don’t. They say homophobia is wrong but how about heterophobia or religiouspeoplephobia?

Old 06-29-2015, 06:25 PM

4,530 posts, read 8,866,892 times
Default Be careful what you ask for.

It is going to be very interesting when SOME of the Militant Gays get married and then go through a D I V O R C E. That might be entertaining.

Last edited by Gunluvver2; 06-29-2015 at 06:27 PM.. Reason: I substituted a better word.

Old 06-29-2015, 06:34 PM

6,141 posts, read 3,373,037 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gunluvver2 View Post
It is going to be very interesting when SOME of the Militant Gays get married and then go through a D I V O R C E. That might be entertaining.
Gay divorce between gay couples should be treated no different than straight couple...Now, unless you consider divorce between straight couples as mundane..then why SHOUD divorce between Gay Couples be different???? Kind of explains your particular understanding of relationships I guess....
.Sexual orientation should NOT make a difference..Legally it's always a case by case bases..which has NOTHING to do with Sexual orientation unless Media decides it particularly newsworthy

SVOTUS has ruled..so best relearn the rules of the road

Old 06-29-2015, 07:56 PM

17,587 posts, read 15,259,939 times
Quote:
Another thing that I don’t get is how a celebrity can come out of the closet and people will applaud him and cry happy tears. But have a sports athlete simply share about the faith he follows and he gets blasted, interview gets cut off, there are protests outside the studio, etc. Like I said, live and let live should apply to those who support them and those who don’t. They say homophobia is wrong but how about heterophobia or religiouspeoplephobia?
You apparently don't watch NASCAR.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gunluvver2 View Post
Already happened. Several times. Ellen, Rosie come to mind, but I can't be 100% sure they were legally 'married'..

Quote:
Now.. I've heard SOME about this.. Obviously, there were the bakeries.. Those are the main ones that I recall hearing about.. Refusing to make a cake for a gay wedding.. I have not heard of a church getting sued for refusing to make their facilities available.. Though, I have no doubt that if it hasn't happened yet, it's coming.. And.. That is where the line should be drawn.. A church should not be required to provide services.. Be it a preacher or the space..

Old 06-30-2015, 09:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Labonte18 View Post
I have not heard of a church getting sued for refusing to make their facilities available.. Though, I have no doubt that if it hasn't happened yet, it's coming.. And.. That is where the line should be drawn.. A church should not be required to provide services.. Be it a preacher or the space..
It has happened already. Here's a news article I found interesting. Some gays have even gone as far as suing religious literature for not supporting their lifestyle:

Reader comments · Gay man sues Bible publishers over “homosexuality” passages · PinkNews

These kinds of things make it seem as if they want to be treated special and have the world accept to do anything that accommodates them or else they will be judged as hateful or whatever. Live and let live. Gays are free to create their very own religion if they want to.

Old 06-30-2015, 12:57 PM

453 posts, read 531,006 times
Quote:
One is determined by genetic makeup, while the other is a choice in a belief system. I'll let you decide which is which. I'm also not sure when I've seen athletes get blasted with accompanying protests after simply stating religious beliefs. Many athletes thank God after an accomplishment with little reaction.

Old 06-30-2015, 01:04 PM

25,901 posts, read 42,701,121 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cachibatches View Post
Great article here, worth a read:

http://www.nytimes.com/2015/06/27/us...ture.html?_r=0

The long and short of it is that now than being gay has been completely normalized, has the gay community lost everything about that that has made them special? Being different is a blessing as well as a curse.

I am a straight man, but this effects me very directly. I was, for example a huge fan of Clive Barker, a gay man who admits that a lot of his monsters are metaphors for gay people- simultaneously frightening and fascinating. In fact, a good part of horror functions in just this way.

PLEASE KEEP IN MIND THIS IS NOT A GAY MARRAIGE DEBATE. There is plenty of that in the Politics section and I don't care to debate it. It is settled law now.
Good, it should be "normalized." Leave people in peace and get on with your own life.

Old 06-30-2015, 03:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ctguy87 View Post
One is determined by genetic makeup, while the other is a choice in a belief system
It has not been proven that this is genetic. There will be people who will say its genetic and others who will say it is not and it becomes a never-ending debate.

Quote:
I'm also not sure when I've seen athletes get blasted with accompanying protests after simply stating religious beliefs. Many athletes thank God after an accomplishment with little reaction.
Thanking God is one thing "Thank God I won" or something but going on and on about your faith seems to get frown upon in the USA. One was this Caucasian quarterback for the Broncos if I remember correctly and another black football player who was being interviewed and everything was fine until he started to talk about his faith. That's when all of a sudden the interview was cut abruptly, no explanation. There have been other cases like that.

If LGTB don't like religions that don't root for them, let it be.
If religions don't support their lifestyle, let it be.
Live and let live.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies