Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 06-30-2015, 04:29 PM

4,856 posts, read 5,823,013 times

Advertisements

We don't want to be "special," we don't want our own water fountains, and bathrooms, we want marriage- not gay marriage, it's everyone else that wants to make things special, and I don't see how having the same rights, and abilities as everyone else has to be special. It's awesome gay marriage is legal, it's stupid [to me] that it's called "gay" marriage- it's just effing marriage, it's the same(lr should be) marriage I would have if I married a man, woman, transman, or transwoman. None of this would be half the problem if people would leave their religious views out of govmt matters. I don't care if you think the lgbt community is wrong, your own opinion, the problem is when you think it's wrong because religion told you to. I've seen people on this site say the same thing; " I'm fine with gay people, just not with them getting married." That tells me that you aren't, that tells me that you're not okay with it, we shouldn't the same human rights as the str8s, and our gayness should be limited to our homes, glory holes, and the Stillwall Inns of america.

It's really the str8 people that hold us high in positive, and negative regard. You don't want to explain to your kid about gay people- naw, you just don't want to explain gay sex, and you don't have to. Here's how you explain gay people; sometimes men love men, sometimes women love women, they find a closer relationship with their own sex than with the opposite sex. Straigjt and to the damn point. If there's a follow up why, well because they are happy. See? I don't know too many kids whk are asking why this race is with that race, instead of their own, so how about we get to that era with lgbt people, so if your kid happens to be gay, or trans, or bi, their life wi be no more difficult than the life of somebody in an interracial relationship? Nothing is ever goimg to be %100 okay, but the looks, and quiet displeasure of me and my white/portorican girl, although is bad- it's much better than the being yelled at, having thinhs thrown, being refused of service, and beaten than such a relationship used to get, that same sex relationships STILL get as of today. If we can get to that level from hatred to just displeasure, it would be a big awesome step to accpetance, and desensitation to something that id actually more normal than most would be willing to admit.

Old 06-30-2015, 04:50 PM

6,548 posts, read 7,279,139 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JaxRhapsody View Post
We don't want to be "special," we don't want our own water fountains, and bathrooms, we want marriage- not gay marriage, it's everyone else that wants to make things special, and I don't see how having the same rights, and abilities as everyone else has to be special. It's awesome gay marriage is legal, it's stupid [to me] that it's called "gay" marriage- it's just effing marriage, it's the same(lr should be) marriage I would have if I married a man, woman, transman, or transwoman. None of this would be half the problem if people would leave their religious views out of govmt matters. I don't care if you think the lgbt community is wrong, your own opinion, the problem is when you think it's wrong because religion told you to. I've seen people on this site say the same thing; " I'm fine with gay people, just not with them getting married." That tells me that you aren't, that tells me that you're not okay with it, we shouldn't the same human rights as the str8s, and our gayness should be limited to our homes, glory holes, and the Stillwall Inns of america.
What is a bit ironic is for gay people to reject religion, yet, it is heard often of churches and other religious organizations getting sued because they didn't want to marry them. There are religions that won't support such lifestyle and other religions out there that will. Simply look for one that supports your views instead of demanding special treatment and trying to change established religions. It would be like a person going to a vegetarian event and complaining because they don't let that person have a BBQ in their events. It's vegetarian, keep it that way. There's a religion that doesn't support your views, respect them and create your own religion or look for one that supports you. I agree with LGTB when they demand/expect respect on how they live but I also expect LGTB to do the same for those who don't agree with them. No special treatments.

Marriage is about a loving couple I see. There are some groups that are beginning to voice their plea to also have certain laws changed to also accommodate them and their teenage lover. Not so long ago to tell someone that LGTB would have their parades, press, change the laws to accommodate them, etc. would be crazy. People just couldn't imagine they would get this far and now look at your achievement. Before, not rooting for LGTB would be normal. Now, if someone dares himself/herself to say they don't support LGTB, beware. To see women/men starting their movement to be permitted and accepted to have a teenage lover won't surprise me. Other preferences/orientations will follow, why not? right? Besides, the USA is a country that is open minded, tolerates differences, celebrates diversity, and its all about letting love win.

Quote:
It's really the str8 people that hold us high in positive, and negative regard. You don't want to explain to your kid about gay people- naw, you just don't want to explain gay sex, and you don't have to. Here's how you explain gay people...
It's up to each parent to decide how they raise their children and that goes beyond sexual preferences that are out there but also religion, faith, morals, politics, etc. Then the children grow up and can decide whoever they want. Some rebel from their parents and others find what their parents told them to be fine.

Old 07-01-2015, 08:04 AM

453 posts, read 531,006 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by onihC View Post
It has not been proven that this is genetic. There will be people who will say its genetic and others who will say it is not and it becomes a never-ending debate.
It is scientifically accepted that it is genetic. Gay conversion therapy is banned now, for the most part. Being gay, I can guarantee you it is genetic and not environmental, and unequivocally not a choice. I do not consider myself 'special' just like someone with blue eyes or red hair does not.

Old 07-01-2015, 10:44 AM

6,548 posts, read 7,279,139 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ctguy87 View Post
It is scientifically accepted that it is genetic. Gay conversion therapy is banned now, for the most part. Being gay, I can guarantee you it is genetic and not environmental, and unequivocally not a choice. I do not consider myself 'special' just like someone with blue eyes or red hair does not.
Not sure about it as I have read and heard from other sources it is not or it is not accurate. Still, let's suppose it was, it would not necessarily make it a good or bad thing, would it? It's like those who are suicidal or alcoholics saying they were born that way. Would it make their situation look better? Not necessarily.

What I don't get is how gay people reject religion, yet, it is heard often of churches and other religious organizations getting sued because they didn't want to marry them. There are religions that won't support such lifestyle and other religions out there that will. Simply look for one that supports your views instead of demanding special treatment and trying to change established religions. It would be like a person going to a vegetarian event and complaining because they don't let that person have a BBQ in their events. It's vegetarian, keep it that way. There's a religion that doesn't support your views, respect them and create your own religion or look for one that supports you. I agree with LGTB when they demand/expect respect on how they live but I also expect LGTB to do the same for those who don't agree with them. No special treatments.

Marriage is about a loving couple I see. There are some groups that are beginning to voice their plea to also have certain laws changed to also accommodate them and their teenage lover. Not so long ago to tell someone that LGTB would have their parades, press, change the laws to accommodate them, etc. would be crazy. People just couldn't imagine they would get this far and now look at your achievement. Before, not rooting for LGTB would be normal. Now, if someone dares himself/herself to say they don't support LGTB, beware. To see women/men starting their movement to be permitted and accepted to have a teenage lover won't surprise me. Other preferences/orientations will follow, why not? right? Besides, the USA is a country that is open minded, tolerates differences, celebrates diversity, and its all about letting love win.

Old 07-01-2015, 09:25 PM

920 posts, read 932,031 times
Gays and straights have always been able to be married.

A homosexual or heterosexual, heck someone into beastality can even get married.

No one asks who you are attracted to when you get married.

Why this lie is constantly perpetrated is beyond me

Old 07-01-2015, 09:47 PM

48,502 posts, read 96,856,573 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cachibatches View Post
Great article here, worth a read:

http://www.nytimes.com/2015/06/27/us...ture.html?_r=0

The long and short of it is that now than being gay has been completely normalized, has the gay community lost everything about that that has made them special? Being different is a blessing as well as a curse.

I am a straight man, but this effects me very directly. I was, for example a huge fan of Clive Barker, a gay man who admits that a lot of his monsters are metaphors for gay people- simultaneously frightening and fascinating. In fact, a good part of horror functions in just this way.

PLEASE KEEP IN MIND THIS IS NOT A GAY MARRAIGE DEBATE. There is plenty of that in the Politics section and I don't care to debate it. It is settled law now.
The only thing the ruling says is government must recognize gay marriage; nothing else has changed. So by your meaning as I understand it to some they are still and to others not. Its no more settled law than abortion is really.No law involved here; that takes congress and president to create.

Old 07-01-2015, 10:12 PM

6,414 posts, read 10,492,645 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by onihC View Post
Not sure about it as I have read and heard from other sources it is not or it is not accurate. Still, let's suppose it was, it would not necessarily make it a good or bad thing, would it? It's like those who are suicidal or alcoholics saying they were born that way. Would it make their situation look better? Not necessarily.

What I don't get is how gay people reject religion, yet, it is heard often of churches and other religious organizations getting sued because they didn't want to marry them. There are religions that won't support such lifestyle and other religions out there that will. Simply look for one that supports your views instead of demanding special treatment and trying to change established religions. It would be like a person going to a vegetarian event and complaining because they don't let that person have a BBQ in their events. It's vegetarian, keep it that way. There's a religion that doesn't support your views, respect them and create your own religion or look for one that supports you. I agree with LGTB when they demand/expect respect on how they live but I also expect LGTB to do the same for those who don't agree with them. No special treatments.

You keep saying that churches are being sued for not performing marriages to same sex couple said, that is not true.

Old 07-01-2015, 10:31 PM

16,086 posts, read 10,747,693 times
I'm looking forward to a time when gay-ness is about special and noticeable as left-handedness. Something that is part of a person but not really an issue and seldom mentioned. It won't happen everywhere at once but place by place. It might take a generation. There will be forces working against it that will need to be overcome.

I think we can see this happening with bi-racial marriages across the country...hardly noteworthy in some places and still something a little odd in other places. A generation ago it would have been very noticeable in most places and even illegal in some states.

Old 07-01-2015, 11:34 PM

4,856 posts, read 5,823,013 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SunGrins View Post
I'm looking forward to a time when gay-ness is about special and noticeable as left-handedness. Something that is part of a person but not really an issue and seldom mentioned. It won't happen everywhere at once but place by place. It might take a generation. There will be forces working against it that will need to be overcome.

I think we can see this happening with bi-racial marriages across the country...hardly noteworthy in some places and still something a little odd in other places. A generation ago it would have been very noticeable in most places and even illegal in some states.
One of the points I was trying to make.

Old 07-01-2015, 11:45 PM

3,493 posts, read 3,203,885 times
Frankly I hope so, in a way. Because the Supremes also ruled lately, that a poor people project, inhabited by a necessary racial type, will be required in any "de facto" segregated community which means white middle - upper class communities. It is now the law!

In our city very well-kept gay neighborhoods have functioned as effective "buffer zones" between the slummier areas and the better neighborhoods. In this regard, they've been considered "special."

So, now that it is law that "poor people housing" [you know what that means] is a requirement in any neighborhood that is too much of one economic type or color, one hopes gays will continue to be "special" in their tendency to maintain nice, well maintained "buffer" neighborhoods, which will become very necessary, and from I've heard...very soon.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies