Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 06-28-2015, 12:56 PM

4,660 posts, read 4,119,151 times

Advertisements

Great article here, worth a read:

http://www.nytimes.com/2015/06/27/us...ture.html?_r=0

The long and short of it is that now than being gay has been completely normalized, has the gay community lost everything about that that has made them special? Being different is a blessing as well as a curse.

I am a straight man, but this effects me very directly. I was, for example a huge fan of Clive Barker, a gay man who admits that a lot of his monsters are metaphors for gay people- simultaneously frightening and fascinating. In fact, a good part of horror functions in just this way.

PLEASE KEEP IN MIND THIS IS NOT A GAY MARRAIGE DEBATE. There is plenty of that in the Politics section and I don't care to debate it. It is settled law now.

Old 06-28-2015, 02:25 PM

25,962 posts, read 22,107,325 times
I never considered them "special" and I don't think most people did. And, "normalized", ah, not that I have heard. This is still a gay bar: Hidden camera: ‘Gays’ admit they’re not ‘born that way’ and after listening to only a brief part of the video, I don't think the minds of some are on "having" children in the traditional sense.

What exactly made them "special" in the first place? Maybe demanding that Christians believing that marriage is between one man and one woman be a part of their "ceremonies". Threatening the lives of people that didn't agree with them? See, this is what happens when you belong to a group and simply refer to them as "one".

Are all homosexuals the same? Yes, I looked at the article. I have never been that desperate to be "special" nor considered myself such.

So, maybe we can hear from the "gay" community about their loss of being "special" or "normalized". You haven't seen nothing yet when it comes to special. Brace for the next round of the agenda: The homosexual propaganda campaign in America's media It will not stop until they do feel "special" and that won't happen since the way we feel about ourselves comes from within.

Seriously "normalized". That's a good one. Assuming all homosexuals are alike? Maybe they are but hopefully not because there are some out there...................http://www.frc.org/get.cfm?i=is02e3

Old 06-28-2015, 03:47 PM

11,110 posts, read 9,810,680 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cachibatches View Post
Great article here, worth a read:

http://www.nytimes.com/2015/06/27/us...ture.html?_r=0

The long and short of it is that now than being gay has been completely normalized, has the gay community lost everything about that that has made them special? Being different is a blessing as well as a curse.

I am a straight man, but this effects me very directly. I was, for example a huge fan of Clive Barker, a gay man who admits that a lot of his monsters are metaphors for gay people- simultaneously frightening and fascinating. In fact, a good part of horror functions in just this way.

PLEASE KEEP IN MIND THIS IS NOT A GAY MARRAIGE DEBATE. There is plenty of that in the Politics section and I don't care to debate it. It is settled law now.
Interesting article.

It is certainly true that the 'outsider' status is fading for gays in general. But then, it steadily has for decades. Still, the law is one thing and perception is another. How many gay teens will be thrown out of a home in this coming week, or otherwise disowned by family? I'm guessing they'll feel more than a little of the 'outsider' vibe.

Small groups will always have a certain feeling of brotherhood among themselves, a necessary solidarity against the overwhelming majority. I'm sure Jews feel it, as do non-whites. So, too, will it probably be with gays to some extent for some time to come yet (ie, decades, if not centuries).

Old 06-28-2015, 04:41 PM

3,751 posts, read 7,671,533 times
Just because the Federal government has made a law supporting gay marriage has made being gay 'normalized'. Society has a long way to go still before being gay is truly accepted by all. Then it will be normal. I also do not see how being gay also made one special. I realize one quote in the article mentions no longer being special, but overall, I think most gay people feel far from special due to the treatment they get from society.
The change in the laws could possibly bring more grief to the gay community by those who completely disapprove of the lifestyle.

The one thing I did not like about the article is the suggestion or claim that gay people are losing thier 'playgrounds' such as bars and retreats. I don't see that happening where I live.

Old 06-28-2015, 09:07 PM

17,576 posts, read 15,247,745 times
I don't think most gays want to be considered 'special'.. The ones that do tend to be the very flamboyant ones.. Which, I admit.. Make me uncomfortable. Which, I thnik, is just because I don't care for people who do things to stand out.. Nose rings, funky piercings, etc.. All give me the heebie jeebies.. Mike Tyson's tattoo.. Things like that..

I've probably known far more gay people than I think I have, just because.. They didn't call attention to it and frankly.. It's none of my business.. So, unless they bring it up..

Old 06-29-2015, 06:36 AM

4,103 posts, read 5,425,047 times
I was talking yesterday about this issue with my gay family member. He pointed out that it may be legal to marry now, however there will still be plenty of persecution and hatred coming from all angles. Now they can wear the ring, but plenty will still scowl when they see it...

Old 06-29-2015, 07:20 AM

17,156 posts, read 12,957,599 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Labonte18 View Post
I don't think most gays want to be considered 'special'.. The ones that do tend to be the very flamboyant ones.. Which, I admit.. Make me uncomfortable. Which, I thnik, is just because I don't care for people who do things to stand out.. Nose rings, funky piercings, etc.. All give me the heebie jeebies.. Mike Tyson's tattoo.. Things like that..

I've probably known far more gay people than I think I have, just because.. They didn't call attention to it and frankly.. It's none of my business.. So, unless they bring it up..
Exactly. I don't want to be special, and I'm really not. I'm a typical boring person. And to me it's not gay marriage. It's just marriage. I'm normal, and now I'm a married woman, even in Texas, my home state. That's amazing I didn't think it would happen in my lifetime.

Old 06-29-2015, 07:47 AM

11,655 posts, read 12,950,547 times
Well, the homophobes have always been the ones who make us seem "special". The way they treat us and ostracize us, that's "special" enough.

Old 06-29-2015, 10:00 AM

2,054 posts, read 2,567,829 times
I think most of us ACCEPT that there are gay people. What you cannot do, for a lot of us, is make us believe that gay should deserve special treatment. I don't even believe that most gays WANT special treatment, but to be sure, there are some that would want that.

Request denied.

You are first an American citizen. Respect the rest of us who do not want to know about your sexuality at every turn. we don't care. Keep it to yourself, and I won't tell you about my hetero "proclivities". It's a private matter, and I'm offended that I'm having to have discussions about sexuality with children far too young to need to know.

Old 06-29-2015, 11:12 AM

17,576 posts, read 15,247,745 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ashpelham View Post
I think most of us ACCEPT that there are gay people. What you cannot do, for a lot of us, is make us believe that gay should deserve special treatment. I don't even believe that most gays WANT special treatment, but to be sure, there are some that would want that.
I haven't seen any that wanted special treatment.. They've just wanted the same treatment as others.

The thing about same sex marriage.. It's not going to be any different than normal marriage.. I think you're going to see the same percentages of failures.. Perhaps more stress on the legal system dealing with those situations, simply because there'll be more to deal with.

But.. There were things that just weren't right that could happen when same sex marriage wasn't allowed.. Someone could be 'partners' for 40 years, and not have any rights in end-of-life decisions or not be allowed in the hospital because they weren't 'family'..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies