Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-01-2015, 11:08 AM

3,997 posts, read 4,141,865 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by gmagoo View Post
If Byrd was alive he would have no KKK buddies. He quit them seven (7) decades ago.
So because he quit the KKK the magical mystery fairy made him a tolerant man? Keep reaching.......
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-01-2015, 11:58 AM

12,350 posts, read 9,716,580 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MassVt View Post
Laughably stupid.
Laugh all you want, but Americans by the 10s of millions share the feeling I expressed and understand what's at stake. You'll not see another tasteless display such as that this century, unless it is soon by the current White House occupant. In an election held today, Trump would beat Obama. So would most anyone else. America has learned its lesson, but sadly seems to have a short memory in recent years.

BTW, I got more reps for that post than any in recent memory.

Old 07-01-2015, 12:00 PM

12,282 posts, read 13,236,576 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CrownVic95 View Post
Laugh all you want, but Americans by the 10s of millions share the feeling I expressed and understand what's at stake. You'll not see another tasteless display such as that this century, unless it is soon by the current White House occupant. In an election held today, Trump would beat Obama. So would most anyone else. America has learned its lesson, but sadly seems to have a short memory in recent years.

BTW, I got more reps for that post than any in recent memory.

Can i assume that you have finally made a post worthy of a rep point?

Old 07-01-2015, 12:56 PM

10,232 posts, read 6,315,362 times
Quote:
Indeed he did and, indeed, he is. But I'd say that 50% number is low - even considering those who mildly support making marriage a farce.
I would think the majority of divorced straight people thought marriage was a farce long before this decision.

Old 07-01-2015, 01:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jo48 View Post
I would think the majority of divorced straight people thought marriage was a farce long before this decision.
Yeah, I hear ya.

But the term I would use in your context is nightmare. Farce is apropos for "gay" marriage because no one in their right mind takes it seriously. Those who populate the earth during this very brief era of unprecedented folly will be the laughing stock of a thousand generations to come.

No one, but no one....even 25 years ago, would have acknowledged the remotest possibility that in 2015 public ridicule would befall anyone refusing to embrace the idea of a man marrying another man. They would simply say "you're out of your mind". And they'd be right about where we are today.

Old 07-01-2015, 02:28 PM

37,949 posts, read 17,859,151 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dsjj251 View Post
You have a right to your opinion, but he is still your president.
No he's not my President. How about you quit forcing your beliefs on others? Seems to be the theme for the progressives.

Quote:
Originally Posted by dsjj251 View Post
unless you are arguing that no President belongs to any person.
More like I didn't back him so he's not "my guy".

Last edited by Loveshiscountry; 07-01-2015 at 03:40 PM..

Old 07-01-2015, 04:48 PM

88,567 posts, read 84,755,078 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by crone View Post
So what. I haven't had a Representative or Senator give a damn about anything I thought in my whole life. Or many presidents.
Hahaha best post.

Old 07-01-2015, 04:56 PM

10,232 posts, read 6,315,362 times
Quote:
Yeah, I hear ya.

But the term I would use in your context is nightmare. Farce is apropos for "gay" marriage because no one in their right mind takes it seriously. Those who populate the earth during this very brief era of unprecedented folly will be the laughing stock of a thousand generations to come.

No one, but no one....even 25 years ago, would have acknowledged the remotest possibility that in 2015 public ridicule would befall anyone refusing to embrace the idea of a man marrying another man. They would simply say "you're out of your mind". And they'd be right about where we are today.
25 years ago probably not, but I grew up in Greenwich Village in the 50s and 60s and went to school down the street from the Stonewall. I remember their windows painted black so the cops would not see gay couples dancing and kissing. Cops would have raided them. Not going into the subsequent history.

I also remember as a child teen boys going out and beating up gays to prove their own manhood. I once snitched on some of them for doing it. I found that horrific even as preteen. My parents fully supported me telling, and naming names, on what these boys did.

Gay Marriage? Civil rights are civil rights; be that for getting the life beaten out of you for who you are, to discrimination of being rounded up by the police for daring to dance and love whoever you want, to marrying who you want. It is simply the progression of past wrongs being put right. Marriage is just one in a long line of attaining the civil rights the rest of the population has.

Old 07-01-2015, 05:01 PM

7,474 posts, read 7,032,927 times
Nevermind the silliness of hating people because they are gay or pretending that this law somehow "forces churches to marry gays" when all it really does is prevent bigoted states from not recognizing gay marriage... let's consider this:

About half the nation voted against Obama in both elections.

So, he's not "telling them he's not their president." They already told HIM that by voting against him. So, instead he's just shrugging his shoulders - well, him and the Supreme Court - and doing what needs to be done. It's not as if the people who voted against him would ever stop hating him anyway... and it is a waste of time to knuckle-under to people who hate you.

Old 07-01-2015, 05:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jo48 View Post
25 years ago probably not, but I grew up in Greenwich Village in the 50s and 60s and went to school down the street from the Stonewall. I remember their windows painted black so the cops would not see gay couples dancing and kissing. Cops would have raided them. Not going into the subsequent history.

I also remember as a child teen boys going out and beating up gays to prove their own manhood. I once snitched on some of them for doing it. I found that horrific even as preteen. My parents fully supported me telling, and naming names, on what these boys did.

Gay Marriage? Civil rights are civil rights; be that for getting the life beaten out of you for who you are, to discrimination of being rounded up by the police for daring to dance and love whoever you want, to marrying who you want. It is simply the progression of past wrongs being put right. Marriage is just one in a long line of attaining the civil rights the rest of the population has.
I don't for a moment accept your premise, so we will have to agree to vehemently disagree.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies