Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-29-2015, 08:21 PM

8,610 posts, read 7,861,675 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fox Terrier View Post
Really, you teach this 'stuff'?

The NY cop had EVERY reason to suspect Sweat was armed; Matt was.

There is just no comparison of the two events you reference.

You used the magic word....SUSPECT.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-29-2015, 08:44 PM

7,646 posts, read 9,909,920 times
Hey thanks for attacking me I appreciate the right wing hatred.

I get it that Sweat was an escaped criminal. So was the other guy, technically. Neither one presented a threat to the officer or to the public other than perception.

The other convict - Matt had a shotgun, totally different story.

Sidearms are for self defense, not execution because you are too lazy to chase someone. The NY cop could have called in a thousand officers to close the perrimiter. But instead chose to attempt to execute the convict.

But it is ok to gun down a white cop killer, but not ok to gun down a black guy running for an unknown reason.

Old 06-29-2015, 08:57 PM

40,931 posts, read 48,978,236 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jamies View Post

But it is ok to gun down a white cop killer, but not ok to gun down a black guy running for an unknown reason.
For the record many of the good folks on here criticizing your OP are far from Right Wing.
And yes most Americans have no problem with a Cop killing an escaped dangerous Cop Killer who's been on the run for almost a month.

Ever seen the old "Wanted Dead or Alive" posters from the wild west ? That applies in this situation.

He could have surrendered.

Old 06-29-2015, 10:48 PM

OK - dead or alive. Works for me. My day is done, back to work tomorrow. Youse guys win the internet!

Old 06-29-2015, 10:49 PM

3,744 posts, read 4,070,510 times
Quote:
So - the guy in SC was told to stop too. He was running from a cop, which means he was an escaping felon too. I know the laws - I TEACH this stuff - but I thought it would be interesting to get the public opinion on the two events - and how media perception skews events.

The NY cop had no compelling reason to believe Sweat was armed or a threat to anyone (beyond being a cop killer). But the SC cop had no reason to not believe the guy he shot might have been armed and a threat - otherwise why did he run?

One cop a hero, one in jail.
Wrong...
Sc man was wanted for non support payment.. he was not a fleeing felon of the dangerous kind... there was no reasonable justification that we are aware of that allowed deadly use of force. He was shot without any knowledge that he was dangerous... we don't shoot people because they run... if we did I would have shot people weekly... if not daily

Murderer prison escapee entirely different... a real ...present.. and on going threat to all people. He was an active burglar wherein a gun was stolen by his partner. You are unaware and make assumptions that are incorrect. There were confidential daily Leo briefings releasing info to all the officers on the search that kept them aware blow by blow of the suspects known actions... burglaries etc

Both these men chose not to surrender... I invite you to capture them peacefully and without any force should similar circumstances occur again

Good shoot

I fear for those you teach as being instructed improperly

Thanks

Old 06-29-2015, 10:54 PM

33,837 posts, read 16,862,578 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by notmeofficer View Post
Wrong...
Sc man was wanted for non support payment.. he was not a fleeing felon of the dangerous kind... there was no reasonable justification that we are aware of that allowed deadly use of force. He was shot without any knowledge that he was dangerous... we don't shoot people because they run... if we did I would have shot people weekly... if not daily

Murderer prison escapee entirely different... a real ...present.. and on going threat to all people. He was an active burglar wherein a gun was stolen by his partner.
Amen. His partner had declared he'd never be taken alive, and there is no reason to expect this killer to have a different attitude.

These guys did not just have a history of murdering people, but torturing them , too.

Glad to see the danger has ended.

Old 06-29-2015, 11:01 PM

Oh stuff it - I'm not teaching anyone improperly. This is not a class topic. Though it might be now.

I am aware of the various fleeing felon nuances. The fact remains of the disparity. And in most places fleeing from the police is a felony, regardless of the original charge.

Two unarmed men running awasy, one cop a hero, one a criminal.

Nevertheless a sidearm is for the officers defense against immediate deadly physical force being used against him. Not as an execution tool.

And if that is where the storm troopers are heading - we need to re-examine policing in this country.

If the guy turned with a gun, fine blow him away. But in the back across a field? Shaky.

Real life isn't supposed to follow "Justified," where the cop Raylan, says, "Well if ya didn't wanna get shot in the back ya shouldda run TOWARD me!" LOL

Like I said before I rest my case spit on it all you want.

Old 06-29-2015, 11:11 PM

19,966 posts, read 7,826,567 times
Quote:

I get it that Sweat was an escaped criminal. So was the other guy, technically. Neither one presented a threat to the officer or to the public other than perception.

The other convict - Matt had a shotgun, totally different story.

Sidearms are for self defense, not execution because you are too lazy to chase someone. The NY cop could have called in a thousand officers to close the perrimiter. But instead chose to attempt to execute the convict.

I completely agree with you, and I even made a similar thread in current events that been merged into one thread NY prisoners, and my post starts on page 13 I think. There is a double standard. When an unarmed white is questionably shot by police or is killed in interracial crime no one cares especially not the media. There were many cases of it. But if the same thing happens or even less flagrant (it was actually self defense) to a nonwhite, there is mass outrage and hysteria.

In the other thread, I posted a link to a study that showed cops are more willing to shoot whites and less willing to shoot blacks under similar circumstances.

The fact that so many disagree with the assertion and don't care that a white person was shot in the back while running away unarmed, kind of illustrates the point that no one cares anymore if a white person is shot or killed and there is a double standard.

Old 06-29-2015, 11:15 PM

33,837 posts, read 16,862,578 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mtl1 View Post
The fact that so many disagree with the assertion and don't care that a white person was shot in the back while running away unarmed, kind of illustrates the point that no one cares anymore if a white person is shot or killed and there is a double standard.
Wrong, it assumes with these 2 killers and torturers loose, no one cares how these two were apprehended.

This 2nd guy got off lucky. I was assuming he'd be brought back in a hearse.

Old 06-29-2015, 11:16 PM

4,531 posts, read 8,835,470 times
One huge difference: Sweat was a convicted murderer. A cop shooting a suspected Felon is held to a different standard in the use of deadly force.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies