Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-01-2015, 06:28 PM

39,239 posts, read 27,635,783 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by lorrysda View Post
Technically the visitation rights in medical institions being restricted to immediate family, if I understand correctly, is up to the rules imposed by each institution. At least I certainly hope so...I don't believe this is something in which the government of any level should be involved.
Agreed Good post

Last edited by lilyflower3191981; 07-01-2015 at 06:39 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-01-2015, 06:39 PM

39,239 posts, read 27,635,783 times
Actually, the institution has been in a process of constant evolution. Pair-bonding began in the Stone Age as a way of organizing and controlling sexual conduct and providing a stable structure for child-rearing and the tasks of daily life.

So it makes some sense that marriage Is an Evolving Institution.

i think gay and lesbians can get married, I personally have no problems with it. I have no problems with business owners who only choose to bake cakes for straight couples.

you should tolerate the opinions and behavior of others so that they will similarly tolerate your own. That is the live and let live concept. No need to put yourself in combat situation every single time somebody disagree with ya. Life is simpler this way.

Old 07-01-2015, 07:50 PM

19,966 posts, read 7,885,882 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lilyflower3191981 View Post
Actually, the institution has been in a process of constant evolution. Pair-bonding began in the Stone Age as a way of organizing and controlling sexual conduct and providing a stable structure for child-rearing and the tasks of daily life.

So it makes some sense that marriage Is an Evolving Institution.
Huh evolved? Marriage was suddenly and radically redefined and implemented to include same-sex almost overnight by progressives. Same-sex marriage was not legal anywhere in the world in history until 2001 in the Netherlands. What will it "evolve" into next?

Quote:
i think gay and lesbians can get married, I personally have no problems with it. I have no problems with business owners who only choose to bake cakes for straight couples.

you should tolerate the opinions and behavior of others so that they will similarly tolerate your own. That is the live and let live concept. No need to put yourself in combat situation every single time somebody disagree with ya. Life is simpler this way.
I agree but the gays have already shown they are not willing to do that.

Old 07-01-2015, 11:06 PM

15,754 posts, read 7,604,080 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oakformonday View Post
I'm sorry to hear your history. You had a right to marry. Watch the video I posted above your response and come back with your reaction. If it stays the same then I can only say that you have no compassion. I am very confident that your experience was not the same. Hell, did you attend his funeral? In my example the boyfriend was told nothing and shunned from the family. He could not attend the memorial or funeral service because his boyfriend's father threatened him with violence - he was going to shoot him. Did your boyfriends family tell you not to attend his funeral or they'd shoot you? Anyway, this is very emotional and it anger me to read people like you write such insensitive stuff.
Welcome to equality

My mother-in-law (deceased now, natural causes) went to her father's funeral and because she did not like the 'step mother', she brought a gun with her and threatened to shoot the woman if she showed up.

Right to marry?

My brother has been living with the same woman for 20 years and they have never had a state marriage. He doesn't believe in them. And I am sure that if he passes away before her, my sister and I will not get to go to the funeral/or have any say in the house, which is a family home. I'm sure my brother has a last will in testament, baring us from having any claims to the house.

Old 07-01-2015, 11:25 PM

15,754 posts, read 7,604,080 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lorrysda View Post
I believe "marriage" is between a man and a woman...PERIOD! If any other kind of relationship wishes to have some of the same benefits as a married couple they can come together in a CIVIL UNION.

Technically the visitation rights in medical institions being restricted to immediate family, if I understand correctly, is up to the rules imposed by each institution. At least I certainly hope so...I don't believe this is something in which the government of any level should be involved.

The Supreme Court was wrong...I have faith in America and our Constitution that this bad decision will be repealed.
I don't think so. The money the states can make from this decision from various law suits, I doubt this will ever get repealed. Money talks ...

Besides that, this decision liken to that of Roe v Wade, the choices we make in life are between us and our maker.

My ex-husband and I were married by a JP. Since I was 19 and pregnant, my parents said no, to the going before a preacher to be married. We had a civil union marriage.

Now if I had died, could my parents get a court order baring my husband from attending my funeral and/or grave site?

Old 07-01-2015, 11:49 PM

6,414 posts, read 10,498,414 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mtl1 View Post
Because gays did not want a compromise with civil unions. So if the legislature is going to acknowledge there is no same-sex marriage they might as well ban civil unions too until the time that gays built support for civil unions to pass. Gays never wanted just civil unions which was a more accepted compromise.
That is an outright lie, civil unions were banned along with domestic partnerships because you religious people wanted to restrict gays from any form of union that may resemble marriage.

Old 07-01-2015, 11:55 PM

6,414 posts, read 10,498,414 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hans Bueller View Post
You got your way on homosexual marriage. What? Do you need to convince yourself of it's rightness by throwing out weird scenario's?
Here is what happened to my spouse and I. This was shortly after we got married in 2008 in California. He had a bleedout on his brain and was flown to UCSF for emergancy brain surgery. Even though we were legally married, the hospital would not recognize our marriage or allow me to speak with him. They requested his next of kin which was a sister of his that he had not seen in almost 30 years. After sending them our durable power of attorney and a brief but succinct letter on how they were discriminating against us for being a same sex couple, the reversed their tune. But I should not have had to do that. Straight couples don't.

Old 07-02-2015, 12:19 AM

2,490 posts, read 2,547,722 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sharks With Lasers View Post

1. Do you think what Steve's family did was acceptable and proper?
2. If you do not, what do you think should be done to help the situation?
1. No
2. Break into their house while they're asleep and blow all their brains out, steal all the money, and set the house on fire. Then give all the money to the biggest, gayest, charity.

Old 07-02-2015, 06:43 AM

1,922 posts, read 1,746,985 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lilyflower3191981 View Post
I lost my boyfriend several years ago, and I was not entitled of anything because we were not legally married. Although he wrote in his journal that I was the ONLY woman he has ever loved. It is what it is.

Life is not fair. Heterosexual partners were not treated fairly either, you know.

Adam in this situation should move on with his life.
You remained unmarried.... he should have written a will if he wanted to leave his belongings to you.

Old 07-02-2015, 11:18 AM

5,913 posts, read 3,189,640 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ellis Bell View Post
Welcome to equality

My mother-in-law (deceased now, natural causes) went to her father's funeral and because she did not like the 'step mother', she brought a gun with her and threatened to shoot the woman if she showed up.

Right to marry?

My brother has been living with the same woman for 20 years and they have never had a state marriage. He doesn't believe in them. And I am sure that if he passes away before her, my sister and I will not get to go to the funeral/or have any say in the house, which is a family home. I'm sure my brother has a last will in testament, baring us from having any claims to the house.
This happened a few years ago so your "Welcome to equality" is not on point. In your MIL's case, she was just one person and not the entire family. The police probably would have or should have arrested her. Threatening to kill someone is never ok.

Your brother has the option. He doesn't have to get married but the point is - he can. BTW, you can contest his will and will most likely be able to get the house from his girlfriend b/c she is not blood or family in the eyes of the law. He could put the house in a Trust and leave it to her that way and that would keep it out of your hands but that is his decision. As for you not going to your brother's funeral, it sounds like you do not get along. That is too bad but sibling issues and two people in love is not the same thing.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies