Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 06-30-2015, 08:47 PM

7,343 posts, read 4,370,223 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by limetea View Post
Being made aware of the fact that white privilege exists does not constitute being under attack.

The next time you are stopped because you look too white to be in a nice neighborhood, or the next time you go to a store and can't find hair products that work for your hair, or when you can look through an entire magazine without seeing anyone who looks like you, you can begin to claim that your racial identity is being marginalized.

Until then, bye Felicia
How about when I go into the "bad" part of any major city in the US and get killed for being white?

Old 06-30-2015, 08:48 PM

28,675 posts, read 18,795,274 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by madison999 View Post
How about when I go into the "bad" part of any major city in the US and get killed for being white?
You'd get killed for being a rube just as I would. Don't think I'd get a pass just for being black. I'm as scared of those places as you are.

Old 06-30-2015, 09:43 PM

17,410 posts, read 14,650,567 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by db108108 View Post
For the record, Ohio doesn't have take a number at the small offices, I didn't notice the DMV pattern until after - I was the first person moved ahead. And the rent thing was at an open house to which two of us showed, and two of us put in apps.

But it's never discrimination, never. Can't be. It's just all coincidences.

In a way, I get it. You guys don't experience it, so you can't conceive of a world where you get denied service (or whatever) for some immutable quality. The examples I use are just that, examples. They may have been purposeful discrimination, may not have been. But when you live the larger overall pattern, you just know when it is. When you say that racism and discrimination are overblown/no longer a problem, you invalidate these experiences - what I've personally experienced and witnessed with my own two eyes. You can wave your hand and say "discrimination? Pffft," but those who face discrimination don't get that choice. They get denied service, or housing, or whatever.

That's where the powerlessness comes. Thanks for proving my point.
I never said that discrimination doesn't exist. Sure it does.

I do think that a lot of times, it's overstated. Or it's the knee jerk reaction.

I think you said there were 2 black people there ahead of you - but here you say you were the first person that moved ahead. Which is it?

I have rental properties. I can't tell you the amount of times that I've been accused of being discriminatory - and I'm not. (I have same sex partners who are in a committed relationship who have rented from me for almost a year. And they're black too. Shocking.)

Sometimes you just don't see the reason. Maybe there was a showing the day before. Maybe that couple actually emailed them their application before they arrived. (Happens to me ALL the time for a particular hot property of mine.) Maybe they said they would pay more. Rent longer. Give the landlord their first child. You just don't know. That's why I'm not a fan of the immediate call of discrimination - you can't know without all the facts.

And please don't with the "you guys don't experience it" stuff. Because 9 times out of 10, it's not true. Everyone has been on the receiving end of someone's as$hole behavior. It doesn't mean that it's always racism/discriminatory. Sometimes it means that someone is just an as$hole.

Old 06-30-2015, 11:44 PM

15,080 posts, read 20,477,038 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by xTiberiusx View Post
based on all the headlines I read on a daily basis, you would think modern white people are openly racist rednecks who hold minorities down and should be ashamed if themselves for "white privledge"and all other reasons that I have never heard of. This is absurd.

What the hell is going on here?!
Nothing.

[it's all in your head]

Old 07-01-2015, 06:59 AM

28,675 posts, read 18,795,274 times
And people with divide-and-conquer agendas, players both major and minor, use the commercial and social media to their advantage.

Old 07-01-2015, 07:39 AM

17,468 posts, read 12,940,767 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by xTiberiusx View Post
based on all the headlines I read on a daily basis, you would think modern white people are openly racist rednecks who hold minorities down and should be ashamed if themselves for "white privledge"and all other reasons that I have never heard of. This is absurd.

What the hell is going on here?!
Funny, I see a lot of white golfers, boaters and tourist in my area......not many rednecks. Wonder why people think white=redneck, including the elite white who are pushing this propaganda.

Old 07-01-2015, 07:39 AM

411 posts, read 416,329 times
It's open season on everyone. It happens when the economy is bad and jobs are scarce and the pie is shrinking.

Old 07-01-2015, 07:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by carterstamp View Post
Yeah, that darned liberal privelege got GWB elected twice.

Oh, wait...
We know it was for the elite white to get what they needed. Nothing to do with white voters.....the system is rigged, yet, we all believe we voted!

Old 07-01-2015, 07:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by WildOnions View Post
It's open season on everyone. It happens when the economy is bad and jobs are scarce and the pie is shrinking.
The rich government gets scared! President Obama has certainly not helped one bit in bringing us together. The illegal invasion of our country is making things worse........... Just like Obama likes it!

Old 07-01-2015, 07:47 AM

1,259 posts, read 2,258,385 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by marigolds6 View Post
And yet, local BlackLiveMatters activist include "brown people" in every missive they send out, claiming to speak for my experience as a Hispanic person. (Despite the fact I was told, unequivocally to my face, that as a brown person I had no role in the movement except as an ally.)

So yeah, as long as they continue to speak about what brown people go through, I will speak about what black people go through.
I don't know any black people that speak on what 'brown' people go through. I don't even know any Hispanics personally so I can't speak for them at all. What I do know is that as a black person I have experienced plenty of racism in my life time especially growing up in the deep south. And I know many other black people who have as well. Speaking on things you know nothing about just makes YOU look dumb, so have at it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies