Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 06-30-2015, 09:40 PM

1,956 posts, read 3,633,498 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Golabki View Post
Keep believing that ... A small percentage of misguided white girls disgracing themselves doesn't mean race relations are better.
And just how do you think these white girls are disgracing themselves, hmm?

Old 06-30-2015, 09:40 PM

3,063 posts, read 3,270,342 times
Quote:
Keep believing that ... A small percentage of misguided white girls disgracing themselves doesn't mean race relations are better.
What do white girls have to do with this?

I personally irl feel like race relations are good, I don't even know anyone that brings up slavery very often. Most people get along fine with others.

Old 06-30-2015, 09:42 PM

154 posts, read 120,054 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Heaveno View Post
White Guilt is prevalent in this post! Accept what your race has done to others in the USA and attempt to correct the wrongs! Simple to do!
How much more can we do?

Old 06-30-2015, 09:49 PM
AFP

7,412 posts, read 6,888,582 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Whatsnext75 View Post
It seems like ever since Obama came on the scene I have been drowning in the topic of racism. It really feels like race relations are much WORSE in this country now than ever before! People want to turn anything that happens into racism. A lot of it has stemmed from police shooting black men for breaking the law but so much more has transpired as well. Slavery is talked about a lot now as well, far more than it was before. I think it's good to bring things into light, but once again it seems like slavery and racism are brought up to shove in people's face and say, SEE, look what white people did in the 1800's. I am white and slavery had nothing to do with me. I feel bad that it happened...but humans were just kind of crazy back then. White people were tortured and treated inhumanly since the beginning of time as well. I'd say we have evolved as a species and i'm not sure why slavery is brought up so much again? Why not just focus on present day issues? No one can do anything about slavery anymore, it's over it happened just like any other tragic event in history. WHy should white people of today pay for slavery?

Everyone in this country has equal rights. Someone is always going to be ahead of someone else regardless of the color of their skin. I really fear for this country and I cant wait for Obama to be out of office. I am fearful as to what he will do next. I'm glad gay people can get married, but what he's doing with illegals and affordable healthcare is very scary. He is not changing this country for the better. He's encouraging poor people to not better themselves and in the process he's bringing down the middle class which is pretty much everyone. I dont understand how people love this man. What is to love? he is focused mainly on poor black people and bringing them up but in the process he is making life more difficult for the majority of Americans. So much is already taken out of our paychecks to give to the poor and undocumented aliens.

In order for America to be a great country we have to be somewhat exclusive. Harvard doesnt let everyone in so why should we? And why on earth should we just give anyone free healthcare who shows up? I am baffled. I was brought up to work hard and pay your own way. What has happened to that motto? Now the motto seems to be, hey even if you're poor you're still get everything you need. It's just sad. I have a 1 year old and I feel like his life is going to not be what i thought it would be here.
I seldom hear anyone discuss slavery where I live in California, racism every once in a while, the affordable care act every once in a while, illegal immigration yes I hear that discussed more frequently. You live a completely different experience than I do. I can't relate to your post.

Old 06-30-2015, 10:00 PM

12,883 posts, read 13,974,852 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MoonBeam33 View Post
You have already made up your mind so there's really no point in arguing with you. You clearly know nothing about the Watts riots, the LA riots (though you've heard of Rodney King, so that's a start...), the Detroit riots, etc. Racism in this country is a powderkeg that has blown many times and was due to blow again because we just won't learn that you can't treat a group of people - ANY people - as lower class citizens or as people who do not have the same rights as other people in this country.

I'm sorry you haven't been paying attention for the past 40 years. Maybe things have been fine in Mayberry, but not so much out here.
Who do we do this to? Examples?

Old 06-30-2015, 10:02 PM

4,751 posts, read 5,435,302 times
Quote:
This country has bent over backwards trying to improve the status of black people. Nobody is holding them back and nobody is denying them their rights. Plenty of blacks are living the American dream. At what point do you think people should be held accountable for their own actions?
No, this country has enacted a policy of giving "this" while still treating black people like "that."

I'll give you an example. It is now illegal to discriminate in hiring based on race. But it's not illegal for police to stop and frisk a black man for, literally, walking down the street in a "bad" neighborhood. That's not bending over backward to improve anything. That's a way to remind black people that they will never be treated the same as white people.

Old 06-30-2015, 10:03 PM

34,993 posts, read 16,956,874 times
Quote:
You have already made up your mind so there's really no point in arguing with you. You clearly know nothing about the Watts riots, the LA riots (though you've heard of Rodney King, so that's a start...), the Detroit riots, etc. Racism in this country is a powderkeg that has blown many times and was due to blow again because we just won't learn that you can't treat a group of people - ANY people - as lower class citizens or as people who do not have the same rights as other people in this country.

I'm sorry you haven't been paying attention for the past 40 years. Maybe things have been fine in Mayberry, but not so much out here.
I believe you are a racist. All people should be held to the standards of self-governing adults, citizens of a democracy. It is insulting and racist to assume blacks can't can't control themselves. Just as it is racist to assume that Muslims have to go berserk if they see a Mohamed cartoon, or a woman in swim trunks at a community pool

Old 06-30-2015, 10:14 PM

154 posts, read 120,054 times
Quote:
No, this country has enacted a policy of giving "this" while still treating black people like "that."

I'll give you an example. It is now illegal to discriminate in hiring based on race. But it's not illegal for police to stop and frisk a black man for, literally, walking down the street in a "bad" neighborhood. That's not bending over backward to improve anything. That's a way to remind black people that they will never be treated the same as white people.
They can and do the same to other races as well.

Old 06-30-2015, 10:26 PM

4,751 posts, read 5,435,302 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jbgusa View Post
I believe you are a racist. All people should be held to the standards of self-governing adults, citizens of a democracy. It is insulting and racist to assume blacks can't can't control themselves. Just as it is racist to assume that Muslims have to go berserk if they see a Mohamed cartoon, or a woman in swim trunks at a community pool
Lol, you can call me any name you want, I don't care. I never said anything about anyone controlling themselves. And the Muslim thing - that's all you. I already know where your opinions lie.

Old 06-30-2015, 10:30 PM

12,883 posts, read 13,974,852 times
Quote:

Perhaps when the crime rates among blacks decrease, that will stop. The cops know who to look for and for what crimes. They are generally quite good at their jobs. They know which neighborhoods have this going on, and that going on, with these people involved, or those people involved. They won't hang around in an area that won't bring them action. They know what they're doing.

In my experience, from what I see and the people I know, men are pulled over way more often than women (even white men). Why? I don't really know. I see cops in NJ pulling over NY drivers all the time on our highways. Why? Because NY drivers are known to drive more aggressively and speed. I see cops pull over modified cars with tints and loud engines and booming stereos, that sometimes go very fast. Why? Because some of these mods are illegal, or they are often driven by young people (often young men) who may have drugs, be drunk, or simply be reckless and more dangerous than the average driver, and it has been proven that young men (late teens, early 20s) are more reckless drivers than anyone else. If you're not okay with cops tending to stop blacks more often than whites, then you shouldn't be okay with any of this either, because in all situations they are targeting people they know may be doing something wrong based simply off statistics or their own personal knowledge of what their job entails.

My white young adult cousin was pulled over for swerving to avoid a pothole. The pothole was clearly in the middle of the road - it was the March after a very bad winter that tore up the streets, potholes were everywhere - cop knew that's why he swerved, but pulled him over for it. Why? Because my cousin is young. White suburban teens today tend to do drugs, from marijuana to heroin. And guess what? He was arrested for possession of marijuana because he had weed on him. See what I mean? But is that racist?

My white brother was pulled over at 17 for making a rolling stop through a stop sign rather than a full stop, on a quiet, dead suburban street in our town. The cop gave him s*it for wearing a certain baseball cap and for driving a BMW convertible at his age. Just screwed around with him for those reasons, because he was a kid and he had a nice car. Is this racist? Is this just as bad?

If stopping black people is so wrong, then so are all these scenarios - age discrimination, sexism, discrimination for having a certain license plate/being from a certain state, discrimination for driving a certain car or having certain mods that make your car obnoxious. But in all these cases, the cops got what they wanted - they issued tickets, arrested people, screwed around with them, showed their power. Bottom line - they profile because it works. They wouldn't do it if it didn't work.

So maybe instead of blaming the police and society, we should blame the individuals and even groups for their actions. Maybe if young people didn't tend to smoke weed nowadays and be into marijuana the way they are (trust me it's a problem), they wouldn't get pulled over by cops searching for weed. Maybe if blacks didn't tend to commit more violent crimes, they wouldn't be profiled as such. Simple if you ask me.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies