Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-29-2015, 08:01 PM

3,130 posts, read 3,076,339 times

Advertisements

Okay, suppose we have two guys, Adam and Steve, who are in a long-term relationship. Adam's family is supportive. Steve's family, on the other hand, upon finding out that he was gay, threatened him with violence, completely disowned him and cut him out of their lives completely, and removed him from receiving an inheritance.

Sadly, Steve falls off of the roof and is mortally injured. While Steve is on life support, his family comes to the hospital and signs papers to take him off life support and for him to pass away. They bar Adam from entering the hospital to say goodbye at the threat of arrest from the police. After Steve passes away, his family quickly takes all of Steve's belongings, has a quiet funeral, and gets a restraining order against Adam so he can never visit Steve's grave nor have any access to any possessions that were in Steve's name originally but that they jointly used as a couple. Any attempts for Adam to honor Steve's memory will be met with the threat of violence.

So my question to you is twofold:

1. Do you think what Steve's family did was acceptable and proper?
2. If you do not, what do you think should be done to help the situation?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-29-2015, 08:06 PM

2,089 posts, read 1,418,586 times
Wow. For having "cut him out of their lives completely", sure didn't take long for Steve's family to rush back into the picture and act like he was their beloved son.

Old 06-29-2015, 08:08 PM

45,235 posts, read 26,464,208 times
Sounds like you are okay with using violence to make others accept adam and steves relationship ( clergy, business, employers etc,) but not okay with it when steves parents use it against adam.
I think all levels of government should be out of the marriage biz and consenting partners can get married in a church and draw up contracts to ensure the above scenario doesnt take place.

Old 06-29-2015, 08:12 PM

11,466 posts, read 19,357,057 times
Sounds like Steve should have been wearing a safety harness and a shock absorbing lanyard.

Old 06-29-2015, 08:15 PM

5,913 posts, read 3,188,243 times
Here is a real life example where the family shunned their child's boyfriend. It is really sad and there is a full movie on it too if one is interested. Such an eye opener. It speaks for itself.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pR9gyloyOjM

Old 06-29-2015, 08:21 PM

39,237 posts, read 27,623,465 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sharks With Lasers View Post

So my question to you is twofold:

1. Do you think what Steve's family did was acceptable and proper?

No.

2. If you do not, what do you think should be done to help the situation?

Treat Adam like Steve's domestic partner and give him the benefits accordingly.
I lost my boyfriend several years ago, and I was not entitled of anything because we were not legally married. Although he wrote in his journal that I was the ONLY woman he has ever loved. It is what it is.

Life is not fair. Heterosexual partners were not treated fairly either, you know.

Adam in this situation should move on with his life.

Last edited by lilyflower3191981; 06-29-2015 at 08:34 PM..

Old 06-29-2015, 08:26 PM

3,997 posts, read 4,145,129 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Seagrape Grove View Post
Wow. For having "cut him out of their lives completely", sure didn't take long for Steve's family to rush back into the picture and act like he was their beloved son.
Unfortunately... that happens in a LOT of families.... The total disrespect I saw out of some of my husband's aunt's and uncles when his father died is indescribable.

Old 06-29-2015, 08:27 PM

19,966 posts, read 7,881,487 times
It's not my place to decide what Steve's family should do. Neither is it the government's.

Old 06-29-2015, 08:33 PM

5,913 posts, read 3,188,243 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lilyflower3191981 View Post
I lost my boyfriend several years ago, and I was not entitled of anything because we were not legally married. Although he wrote in his journal that I was the ONLY woman he has ever loved. It is what it is.

Life is not fair. Heteralsexual partners were not treated fairly either, you know.
I'm sorry to hear your history. You had a right to marry. Watch the video I posted above your response and come back with your reaction. If it stays the same then I can only say that you have no compassion. I am very confident that your experience was not the same. Hell, did you attend his funeral? In my example the boyfriend was told nothing and shunned from the family. He could not attend the memorial or funeral service because his boyfriend's father threatened him with violence - he was going to shoot him. Did your boyfriends family tell you not to attend his funeral or they'd shoot you? Anyway, this is very emotional and it anger me to read people like you write such insensitive stuff.

Old 06-29-2015, 08:37 PM

39,237 posts, read 27,623,465 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oakformonday View Post
I'm sorry to hear your history. You had a right to marry. Watch the video I posted above your response and come back with your reaction. If it stays the same then I can only say that you have no compassion. I am very confident that your experience was not the same. Hell, did you attend his funeral? In my example the boyfriend was told nothing and shunned from the family. He could not attend the memorial or funeral service because his boyfriend's father threatened him with violence - he was going to shoot him. Did your boyfriends family tell you not to attend his funeral or they'd shoot you? Anyway, this is very emotional and it anger me to read people like you write such insensitive stuff.
I have a lot of compassion, but I am not going to sit here and justify myself to you.

I said, "treat Adam like his domestic partner and give him the benefits accordingly." That is lack of compassion?!

wow, amazing.

Moving on with his life is the ONLY way to get through the pain and struggle. I am saying this because no one cared what I have been through.

Before you judge others, maybe you should put yourself in their shoes.

Battling with unreasonable insane families who are dealing with their own grief is ONLY making matters worse. (based on my own experience)

By the way, I am not against gay marriage, NOT at all.

If you really knew my history (I doubt you do), you would know that my situation with him was not better than Your little example, I lived it. The only difference is I had a heterosexual relationship. Steve's family gave Adam something called "secondary wound", this is something NO one should deal with. Removing himself from this toxic situation is the ONLY way can help him. Join a support group, and move on.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies