Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-02-2015, 12:16 PM

39,221 posts, read 27,592,812 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by jjrose View Post
I am against the 10 commandments monument because 1 it is in direct violation of the states constitution. and 2. the same people who put it up won't allow others to be put up.
well, I respect your opinion, just like I respect the people who believe definition of marriage is one man, one woman. Do I believe they hate gays? No, I don't.

Like I said, social issues, just like symbols, mean different things to different people. People will always use laws to get what they want.

It is life.

If you don't like it, use laws to protect yourself or challenge their opinions or beliefs. calling people hateful get nobody anywhere

Old 07-02-2015, 12:17 PM

33,387 posts, read 34,832,973 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ambient View Post
It's a slow evening. Went back and looked, looks like you have garden variety opposition to gay people having relationship rights in a legal, secular context. Also looks like you once said that you have a right to discrimination as a matter of "free speech," which has been legally untrue in the USA for a long time now. What else do you want me to take into consideration?
1: i said i have a RELIGIOUS OBJECTION to gay marriage, not gay people.

2: i said i oppose gay marriage based on FREEDOM OF RELIGION, not freedom of speech. let us not confuse the two.

3: in truth, there is no right to marriage, regardless of what has been cast into your mind. dont believe me? read the constitution, and show me where there is a right to marriage. you will NOT find it there. in fact show me where there is even a right to have a relationship period. again you will not find it there, because there is NO right to marriage or even a relationship.

as i have said many times, i dont care if people are gay, that does not bother me. and if the majority if the people in this country, at the STATE level where it belongs, wants to make gay marriage legal, that is up to them, not me. i will oppose gay marriage because it goes against the laws of god.

jesus did say love thy neighbor as you love yourself, but jesus also hated sin. the upshot here is hate the sin, love the sinner, which is what i try to live by. now if in your little mind and narrow point of view on life, that makes me a bigot, then so be it. but know this, you are equally a bigot because you are the one trying to obfuscate my rights to practice my religion.

Old 07-02-2015, 12:19 PM

24,260 posts, read 14,203,370 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lilyflower3191981 View Post
well, I respect your opinion, just like I respect the people who believe definition of marriage is one man, one woman. Do I believe they hate gays? No, I don't.

Like I said, social issues, just like symbols, mean different things to different people. People will always use laws to get what they want.

It is life.
"I don't hate you, I just think that you shouldn't have the same rights that I do."

An opinion is "I don't like okra" not "I don't like okra, so no one should be allowed to eat okra"

Old 07-02-2015, 12:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rbohm View Post
1: i said i have a RELIGIOUS OBJECTION to gay marriage, not gay people.

2: i said i oppose gay marriage based on FREEDOM OF RELIGION, not freedom of speech. let us not confuse the two.

3: in truth, there is no right to marriage, regardless of what has been cast into your mind. dont believe me? read the constitution, and show me where there is a right to marriage. you will NOT find it there. in fact show me where there is even a right to have a relationship period. again you will not find it there, because there is NO right to marriage or even a relationship.

as i have said many times, i dont care if people are gay, that does not bother me. and if the majority if the people in this country, at the STATE level where it belongs, wants to make gay marriage legal, that is up to them, not me. i will oppose gay marriage because it goes against the laws of god.

jesus did say love thy neighbor as you love yourself, but jesus also hated sin. the upshot here is hate the sin, love the sinner, which is what i try to live by. now if in your little mind and narrow point of view on life, that makes me a bigot, then so be it. but know this, you are equally a bigot because you are the one trying to obfuscate my rights to practice my religion.
How does me getting married obfuscate your right to practice your religion?

Old 07-02-2015, 12:21 PM

39,221 posts, read 27,592,812 times
Quote:
"I don't hate you, I just think that you shouldn't have the same rights that I do."

An opinion is "I don't like okra" not "I don't like okra, so no one should be allowed to eat okra"
Well, I did not hear anybody in that video say "I just think you shouldn't have the same rights as I do."

Maybe you were watching different video. I hear them saying, "I love gay people, I believe the definition of marriage is one man and one woman."

that is what I heard.

If they want to use their vote to deny gay rights, then my opinion will change drastically.

Old 07-02-2015, 12:25 PM

33,387 posts, read 34,832,973 times
Quote:
How does me getting married obfuscate your right to practice your religion?
because you are trying to force me to accept gay marriage. gee sir you can practice your religion as you see fit, you just have to accept this perversion regardless of what you believe. otherwise we will do everything in our power to censure you, and generally make your life miserable until such time as you decide to accept this perversion.

Old 07-02-2015, 12:37 PM

8,299 posts, read 8,605,066 times
Quote:
You don't sound very innocent either, just to be completely honest.
Oh really? Whom exactly am I advocating be denied privileges extended to others under the law?

Quote:
These people in the video expressed an "opinion", it doesn't matter how many times they say they don't hate gays, they have gay friends and they love them, you just won't give them a chance.

By the way, "I have gay friends and I love them, but my definition of marriage is one man one woman." it is an opinion.
Sorry but when a person wants their "opinions" inscribed in laws that prevent federal privileges from being extended to those whom they profess to like, even love, that's certainly not friendship.

Quote:
"I have black friends, but they are still... blah blah" might be bigotry or racism because there is no way, one can interview all back people and know exactly how they all behave or think. The being said, there is still differences between prejudice and pure hate racism.

Learn the differences.
You don't think most people know that there is a difference between the two? That's weird. But, of course, supporting segregationist laws were pure racism. Supporting homophobic laws is pure homophobia.

Quote:
I don't have many gay friends, I know couple of gays, but I still believe they should get married, ONLY because it is none of my business.
Funny that you aren't preaching to those who do think it's their business. Seems like you time would be better spent. But your choice obviously.

Last edited by helenejen; 07-02-2015 at 01:11 PM..

Old 07-02-2015, 12:40 PM

Quote:
Well, I did not hear anybody in that video say "I just think you shouldn't have the same rights as I do."

Maybe you were watching different video. I hear them saying, "I love gay people, I believe the definition of marriage is one man and one woman."

that is what I heard.

If they want to use their vote to deny gay rights, then my opinion will change drastically.
Look at who produced the video, and what it's purpose is.

It was made by a LOBBYING group. They LOBBIED to keep the laws banning others from getting married.

Old 07-02-2015, 12:41 PM

Quote:
because you are trying to force me to accept gay marriage. gee sir you can practice your religion as you see fit, you just have to accept this perversion regardless of what you believe. otherwise we will do everything in our power to censure you, and generally make your life miserable until such time as you decide to accept this perversion.
I don't care what YOU accept. You aren't invited to my wedding, so your opinion doesn't matter.
What DOES matter is that I can legally go to the court house and get married.

Old 07-02-2015, 12:43 PM

8,346 posts, read 7,042,736 times
Quote:
because you are trying to force me to accept gay marriage.
No.

That's not how it works at all.

You don't have to accept gay marriage.

You just have no right to prevent others from GETTING married.

Oppose it all you want, you just can't oppress others.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies