Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-03-2015, 05:11 PM

10,834 posts, read 14,936,147 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by desertdetroiter View Post
Nice!!! I think i'm gonna crank up my Netflix and watch the Civil War...especially the episode about Sherman marching through Georgia.

Now THAT'S a beautiful thing!!
Or you could go back home to Detroit where it is obvious you've had an invasion of a different kind.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-03-2015, 05:19 PM

56,988 posts, read 35,198,461 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nicet4 View Post
Or you could go back home to Detroit where it is obvious you've had an invasion of a different kind.
What kind of invasion did Detroit have? You live a helluva lot closer to Detroit than i do, so i'll defer to you as the Detroit expert.

Anyway..back to Netflix..i'm getting to the part where they're burning Atlanta to the ground.

Old 07-03-2015, 05:34 PM

7,578 posts, read 5,326,422 times
Quote:
What kind of invasion did Detroit have? You live a helluva lot closer to Detroit than i do, so i'll defer to you as the Detroit expert.

Anyway..back to Netflix..i'm getting to the part where they're burning Atlanta to the ground.
Don't forget South Carolina, although Sherman and his force cut North Carolina a lot of slack.

Old 07-03-2015, 05:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheWiseWino View Post
Don't forget South Carolina, although Sherman and his force cut North Carolina a lot of slack.
He threw one helluva BBQ in South Carolina, and we haven't heard a peep from them since. LOL..

Anyway, i'm just clowning around.

Old 07-03-2015, 05:37 PM

8,059 posts, read 3,945,174 times
Quote:

Enjoy it while you can... the Warmanistas are currently debating whether to have the show banned or taxed!

Old 07-03-2015, 06:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ultor View Post
Enjoy it while you can... the Warmanistas are currently debating whether to have the show banned or taxed!
Whatever dude.

Old 07-03-2015, 06:11 PM

14,317 posts, read 22,385,663 times
Default Common sense > polls

CNN poll also had Romney winning the last presidential election, even on election night.

My God, who pays attention to polls?

COMMON SENSE says that the Confederate flag is racist...get serious.

Old 07-03-2015, 07:01 PM

17,440 posts, read 9,268,656 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lucknow View Post
Symbols are funny things. What one means to you might be completely different than what it means to me. Take the Swastika for example. It's an ancient symbol that was appropriated by the Nazis for their own particular purposes. Their use of the symbol really overwhelmed and and subjugated all other meanings of the image. The Nazi use of the symbol has really made any other meaning meaningless. I think the stars and bars is close to this situation. There are millions upon millions of people who view it in it's worst possible application as a symbol of racism, hate and exclusion. For that reason those who use the symbol for other purposes should really find some other symbol to represent whatever it is they are trying to portray. IMHO it really should be no skin off their collective butts to do so.
My first post in this thread said most people have no clue about the "Confederate Flag" - they get their "knowledge" from Facebook, blogs, twitter, the really DUMB media.

This is the "Stars and Bars" ..... and I'm betting nobody considers it a "symbol" of the Confederacy OR some goofy/media driven Sign of the Racist.

You are right on the money as to the "symbolism" issue. SNOPES did a really interesting article about the Flag Kerfluffle and how so many believe the MYTH and not the FACT. Facts don't really matter when something is elevated to a "symbol" for Political gain or ideal/agenda ..... and I think that is exactly what all this is about. It's an early "Get out the Vote" effort for the Black Community --get 'em all stirred up over nonsense and RACIST,RACIST,RACIST ..... "they gonna pull y'all back in CHAINS". It worked in 2012, it might work again. They use the same Play-Book over and over, and over again. It's also a very Dandy "look at the squirrel" instead of paying attention to serious issues like Economy and National Safety - think Horrible Iran Deal in the works.

SNOPES on Symbols and the Confederate Flags

Herein lies the problem with symbols: They have no inherent meanings; they have only whatever meanings people choose to read into them, and different people can associate very different meanings with the same symbol

People CHOOSE to read "Racist Hatred" into a Battle Flag of Virginia and and even worse into a cheapy tiny flag that what used on a few battlefields in Tennessee and was a Navy Flag. All because some Nutter posted a picture of himself holding a tiny $2.00 flag on a wooden dowel that had some meaning in his sick little racist mind.

Massive Hysteria results and exactly why is that? Political gain is the only answer.

Last edited by Kibby; 07-03-2015 at 07:16 PM..

Old 07-03-2015, 08:31 PM

2,821 posts, read 3,538,346 times
As usual, Snopes nails it again. To sum it up nicely

MYTH: The Confederate Battle Flag represents racism today.

FACT: The Confederate Battle Flag today finds itself in the center of much controversy and hoopla going on in several states. The cry to take this flag down is unjustified. It is very important to keep in mind that the Confederate Battle Flag was simply just that. A battle flag. It was never even a National flag, so how could it have flown over a slave nation or represented slavery or racism? This myth is continued by lack of education and ignorance. Those that vilify the Confederate Battle Flag are very confused about history and have jumped upon a bandwagon with loose wheels.

Old 07-03-2015, 08:55 PM

4,983 posts, read 3,291,120 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Mon View Post
It was racist from the day it was carried by the Army of Northern Virginia, who was fighting to maintain the institution of slavery. And it was blatantly racists when southern states started flying it during the Civil Rights era.
They carried that flag against the tyranny of the northern invaders. Get off your slavery high horse. Slavery is the history of the CSA. The USA and the whole World.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies