Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-15-2015, 03:19 PM

8,278 posts, read 6,275,241 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by dsjj251 View Post
This isnt about worst traits. The Confederate flag was actually created to represent a nation who's reason for existence was to preserve slavery, the American flag was not created for that reason.
Neither was the flag of Nazi Germany created to represent a nation who's reason for existence was the extermination of Jews, Gypsies, Homosexuals, Intellectuals, etc. However we measure that not by the yardstick of what it was created to represent, but what it actually represented.

A confederate flag was created for the Confederacy, but that is not the flag on trial. The actual reason for the Confederate Battle flag (not the Confederate Flag, it's best not to confuse them) was so that on the battlefield it would not be confused with the Union American flag, since they both the Confederate flag and Stars and Stripes contained a blue field in the top left corner with stars, and the canton contained red and white horizontal stripes (just different counts). The flag that's being tried in the court of public opinion is really the Flag of the Army of Northern Virginia and Robert E. Lee's flag which is square with a red canton, blue saltire each crosspiece containing seven stars. It was never officially recognized by the Confederacy.

So in fact it does not represent what you even think it represents, it represents one army of the Confederacy and it's General. Any other associations are not historic and purely personal associations of the people so associating.

So that all said, like I asked, where does that leave the Flag of the United States, that was officially recognized and flew over slavery for far longer than the Confederate Battle flag, flew over the physical and cultural genocide of the American Indians, flew over Filipino's interred in concentration camps and the Moro Massacre, flew over the Japanese interred during WW2, you know the rest.

It's not intellectually dishonest, it's actually looking at American history with zero bias. We cannot even discount that perhaps one of the motivating factors of the US secession from the UK was slavery, in 1772 the writing was on the wall for slavery in the British Empire (which included the American Colonies) when slavery was abolished in England. 14 of the founders were owners or managers of slave run plantations or large farms, several of them key member of the founders. Do you think that Jefferson, Madison, Mason who were forward thinking enough to contemplate limitations of government were not forward thinking enough to foresee the abolition of slavery in the American Colonies? I find that very hard to believe. They also had a clean slate to begin with in starting the government of the US after winning the revolutionary war, but they chose to retain slavery (and it was a choice).

Old 07-15-2015, 04:24 PM

5,661 posts, read 3,523,039 times
Rock on, Kid!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-15-2015, 04:49 PM

1,125 posts, read 1,591,027 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by desertdetroiter View Post
Lol...he's from Michigan for crying out loud.

If he wants to be a lame by flying a flag that has nothing to do with his heritage and where he comes from, that's his business. He shouldn't be badgered by protesters.

Regardless, he's a washed up rapper. No one should care what he does.
Went to a Kid Rock concert just last month. The man still can rock the house. As to his flying the Confederate Flag, it is America where (at least for now) you are allowed to express yourself anyway you would like. That is why I raised my right hand all those years ago so that everyone, even the people I disagree with, can have the same rights that I grew up with.

Old 07-15-2015, 05:46 PM

4,983 posts, read 3,291,120 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by turkey-head View Post
Wasn't this guy relevant in... maybe 2001?

Why should I care about him any more than my tweaker cousin?
Good grief people. How many times can this crap be posted?

He is relevant enough for good old rev to bring him up in the rebel flag lynch mob.

To bad Nimrata Randhawa and the rest of the South Carolina leaders didn't have the backbone to do the same.

Old 07-15-2015, 06:49 PM
Status: "everybody getting reported now.." (set 23 days ago)

29,553 posts, read 16,542,682 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by eddiehaskell View Post
With that said, #65 would actually be pretty popular, IMO. Look who's on the list around and behind him - #59 Beyonce, #77 Carrie Underwood, #83 Kenny Chesney, #88 Tim McGraw, #90 Pharrell Williams, #93 Miley Cyrus, #96 The Rolling Stones. Even Katy Perry and Eminem only rank in the 40s. Would anyone argue that any of these people are irrelevant in the music game?
the popularity is based on current music, meaning radio play, downloads, and album sales.

Beyonce's last album came out in December of 2013, Katy Perry October 2013, Carrie Underwood may 2012, Kenny Chesney September 2014, Tim McGraw september 2014, Eminem November 2014, Pharrell March 2014, Miley Cyrus October 2013. I think i covered everyone

Kid Rock's last album came out in February 2015.

the fact that he isnt outpacing those people with a far newer album only proves my point.

Old 07-15-2015, 06:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chuckity View Post
If you want to get technical, the confederate flag that represented a nation that you talk about here ^, isn't even the flag that everyone has their panties in a bunch over.

Two totally different flags.
Actually, you were just thinking to hard.

My statement would have rings true either way. Both flags represent the nation, one is in battle the other is in statehood( state as in sovereignty)

Old 07-15-2015, 06:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Govie View Post
Thou doth protest too much.

Give it a rest.

RS is a leftist-Marxist rag anyway who haven't been relevant in decades.
You responded to me, not the other way around. So if anything, you should take your own advice.

P.S. There is nothing wrong with you being a fan of his music, but be a fan of the music and stop trying to play a popularity game that you are losing.

Old 07-15-2015, 07:01 PM

5,940 posts, read 3,572,239 times
Quote:
further more, that doesnt change the fact that he is from Detroit either, which means the Confederate flag isnt part of his heritage in any way.

So all these Clowns weighing in on the Confederate Flag Hate Club, are from Heritage? That's hilarious. Most of them have been affected by that flag as much as you have by Shiite Death Squads.

Old 07-15-2015, 07:04 PM

17,418 posts, read 14,642,907 times
Quote:
Actually, you were just thinking to hard.

My statement would have rings true either way. Both flags represent the nation, one is in battle the other is in statehood( state as in sovereignty)
That's okay. Everyone is entitled to mistakes.

Just like the additional one you made in this post ^.

Old 07-15-2015, 07:07 PM

5,940 posts, read 3,572,239 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by silverkris View Post
I don't think many African Americans who live in the South or have their roots there identify with the cultural identity embodied in the Rebel flag.
Who really gives a crap? They aren't the only ones living here with rights, and aren't the "chosen" ones to set standards for the rest of us.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies