Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-17-2015, 03:37 PM

6,848 posts, read 7,992,465 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by jetgraphics View Post
I disagree with your sweeping generalization.
Nor would I presume that "all" veterans approve of attacks on American historical symbols, statues, and memorials because some minority misused a flag.

But I suspect those who are mounting attacks on all things Confederate may be opportunist agitators, seeking a target that cannot easily defend itself from their vitriol.
Now we have heard from the group who resurrected the Confederate flag in the 60s. Next you'll tell me the Civil War was about states rights.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-17-2015, 03:39 PM

5,913 posts, read 3,185,345 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tall Traveler View Post
We call those people (in bold above)...Liberals.
LOL, you're funny! I like you.

Old 07-17-2015, 04:00 PM

275 posts, read 396,857 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NVplumber View Post
Many were. Shot, hanged, beat to death, what have you, just trying to go home. Yankee, vigilante, "justice". Strafing , sick, barely clothed, and unarmed, they were murdered, for the ,unpardonable crime of just wanting to get home. This quoted post is just disgusting. Condoning cold blooded murder, of soldiers, most of whom were not, nor ever had been, slave holders. Nor had they ever wronged any black people, or even wanted to. .

In contrast, then, how many Union veterans, had a burning hatred of blacks? Would have, happily, kept the institution of slavery, or, barring that, would have, at least, seen them kept "in their place" ? Would you have seen these tens of thousands of Union soldiers hung as well?.....
In fact, at the Battle of the Crater, white Federal soldiers shot their Black comrades in the back.

Many white Federal officers refused to serve with Black soldiers, even after the war.

When the 127th NY was given occupation duty in Charleston during the summer of 1865, they and one of their fellow NY regiments were notorious for attacking, robbing, and raping freed Slaves. They rampaged through the Freedmen's sections like hell on earth. They kicked in doors, looting and killing. When they got bored with killing Black civilians, they attacked the 54th Massachusetts Regiment USCT (featured in the movie "Glory") in their camp. Nothing to done to curb them, until finally they were just quietly moved out of the city.

This is only a drop in the bucket.

According to accounts by white historians, Union troops served proudly with their Black comrades. But when you read accounts by Black Civil war veterans, a vastly different picture emerges. Yep, there was enough "racism" to go around for everyone. Not just them nasty ole Southerners.

Old 07-17-2015, 04:02 PM

38,859 posts, read 25,535,277 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Georgianbelle View Post
Ok. So, you want to rewrite history.
Sounds exactly like something coming from your post.

Not mine.

Quote:
Are we going to get rid of anything connected to Washington and Jefferson since they owned slaves?
Only if they started a treasonous revolt against America in order to maintain slavery. I'll leave the answer to that for you to figure out w/o my assistance.

Quote:
Are we going to do the same with Jackson since he wanted to wipe out all traces of native Americans? History has good and bad parts, but it is true and should not be cleaned up just to suit people.
And the negative aspects don't need glorification. Time for some of these wannabe Johnny Rebs in Ol' South statehouses to rejoin the USA. Their four-year experiment in founding a slave nation failed 150 years ago. Civil rights passed 50 years ago, much to their chagrin. Jim Crow flew the coop and he ain't comin' back to roost.

Too bad. So sad. It's over. It's been over for a century and a half. That's the history.

Carry on.

Old 07-17-2015, 04:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oakformonday View Post
LOL, you're funny! I like you.

Hey!

Old 07-17-2015, 04:07 PM

5,913 posts, read 3,185,345 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Old Gringo View Post
Hey!
hehe I'm just having some fun!!!

Old 07-17-2015, 04:11 PM

5,097 posts, read 2,314,170 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Old Gringo View Post
Sounds exactly like something coming from your post.

Not mine.

Only if they started a treasonous revolt against America in order to maintain slavery. I'll leave the answer to that for you to figure out w/o my assistance.

And the negative aspects don't need glorification. Time for some of these wannabe Johnny Rebs in Ol' South statehouses to rejoin the USA. Their four-year experiment in founding a slave nation failed 150 years ago. Civil rights passed 50 years ago, much to their chagrin. Jim Crow flew the coop and he ain't comin' back to roost.

Too bad. So sad. It's over. It's been over for a century and a half. That's the history.

Carry on.

It wasn't a "revolt," it was a secession. And yes, Washington and Jefferson maintained the practice of slavery, obviously. And it wasn't an "experiment in founding a slave nation," they had been part of a slave nation for a very long time.
Oh, and though Jim Crow laws no longer exist the country is still very segregated, the north moreso than the south.

Old 07-17-2015, 06:11 PM

Lightbulb CNN Poll: 57 Percent Say Confederate Flag Not Racist

Well, there always...

this...

Old 07-17-2015, 06:47 PM

30,976 posts, read 21,633,814 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FKD19124 View Post
WOW! coming from liberal CNN of all places!

CNN Poll: 57 Percent Say Confederate Flag Not Racist
I guess it means it's been a long time since the KKK showed up anywhere waving the Confederate flag.

Old 07-17-2015, 06:54 PM

56,988 posts, read 35,193,725 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ih2puo View Post
If i could save the Union without freeing a slave i would. Your hero.

Moral self righteousness of a generation that kills the unborn and sells their parts.
Lincoln is a heroic figure...but he ain't my hero.

King, Malcolm, DuBois, Washington, Douglass, Nat Turner, John Brown, Angela Davis...those types of people are my heroes.

So you called that one wrong...as usual.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tall Traveler View Post
Your interpretation that the reason for the Civil War was about slavery is not one I agree with at least for most of the Civil War soldiers. ( For the Slave Owners it probably was the biggest factor.) They didn't own slaves but they had family that was being attacked by invaders. To not fight back would have been cowardice. For example, Robert E. Lee, despised slavery and freed his slaves that he inherited before the Civil War but fought to protect his state and family from invaders. I applaud that. I'm also happy that the Civil War ended slavery. But to denigrate everyone that fought for the Confederacy but then give people like Grant a pass when he owned slaves and butchered thousands is short sighted. BTW, the North casualties were double the South casualties....it was far from the easy win they thought would occur.
Confederate Army and Civil War experts like Shelby Foote have said time and again that the North fought that war with one hand tied behind its back and never put the full weight of their power behind crushing the South...something they could've done with ease if they'd been committed.

And once they did get serious, it was no contest. The Southern idea that they were tougher went out the window real fast.

Sam Houston warned the South that they never stood a chance.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Georgianbelle View Post
Ok. Was America's cause against Native Americans righteous? How about the internment of Japanese Americans? The virtual enslavement of Irish Americans? The treatment of women? I mean really. We could go on and on and on. History is what it is. No one has the right to change it.
I said the cause against Britain was righteous.

No more, no less.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies