Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-19-2015, 12:24 AM

10,829 posts, read 5,430,383 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by fat lou View Post
...The fact is that slavery existed in the United States of America for decades, and it existed under the British crown for a long time before that. And the whole country is founded on genocide and mass colonialism. As is Canada, and Australia, and Argentina, and Brazil, and the list goes on. I don't see why the Confederate States of America is to be singled out as some uniquely bad thing. But as someone pointed out, they lost a war, and I guess that's what it comes down to.
Yep, it's a case of racial agitators in the North being "sore winners."
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-19-2015, 12:29 AM

10,829 posts, read 5,430,383 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Govie View Post
I have a college degree (as do every other member of my immediate family) and I'd fly the flag in a heartbeat if I didn't think my vehicle or house wouldn't get burned down.

If it's a symbol that rubs liberal neo-fascists the wrong way, it works for me.
Yeah, I like anything they hate.

Old 07-19-2015, 02:26 AM

2,112 posts, read 2,594,731 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by desertdetroiter View Post
No, there weren't many black southerners fighting under the Confederate flag. But you already knew that.
I am sure the ones who did probably did not have much of a choice. If I as a black man had ancestors who fought for the confederacy it sure would not be anything that I would tell anybody about.

Old 07-19-2015, 04:59 AM

1,052 posts, read 1,301,779 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by urbanlife78 View Post
"The opinions were not only divided by race, but also, among whites, by education, with people who have more formal education being less likely to see the flag as a symbol of pride."

So basically white people with a low education level think the flag represents pride....why am I not shocked by this poll?
Lol exactly. Not a poll to be proud of if you are defending the confederate flag.

Old 07-19-2015, 05:05 AM

1,052 posts, read 1,301,779 times
Quote:
Nope. The American revolution was about overthrowing the government and sending its leaders running, which is a revolution. That wasn't the plan back in 1861.
But anyway, no one is supporting any "pro-salvery" position. The fact is that slavery existed in the United States of America for decades, and it existed under the British crown for a long time before that. And the whole country is founded on genocide and mass colonialism. As is Canada, and Australia, and Argentina, and Brazil, and the list goes on. I don't see why the Confederate States of America is to be singled out as some uniquely bad thing. But as someone pointed out, they lost a war, and I guess that's what it comes down to.
S the thing is, if you carry your argument to the logical conclusion, that the North and England had slavery but they banned it while the South was determined to keep it then it changes the picture quite a bit. The south singled themselves out by definition. It's not that they lost the war, it's that they went to war primarily over slavery. If they had won slavery would've eventually become illegal and we would still look back at the founding of a confederacy of slave holding states to defend the institution of slavery as bad. The Vice President of the Confederate states words:

Quote:
Our new Government is founded upon exactly the opposite ideas; its foundations are laid, its cornerstone rests, upon the great truth that the negro is not equal to the white man; that slavery, subordination to the superior race, is his natural and normal condition.
Those words would be as offensive now even if the South lost, just because the Confederacy meant more than just slavery doesn't remove the fact that it did in fact mean a lot about slavery in a world that was rejecting slavery.

Old 07-19-2015, 05:31 AM

56,989 posts, read 35,168,788 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ih2puo View Post
About as many that that don't vote democrat?
The black vote is none of your business.

Quote:
Originally Posted by dechatelet View Post
So you DO have contempt for the "loser blacks" who fought in Vietnam.

Just as you have contempt for the "loser whites" who fought for the Confederacy.
Think what you want. (Shrug)

Old 07-19-2015, 05:57 AM

72,971 posts, read 62,529,841 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Govie View Post
I have a college degree (as do every other member of my immediate family) and I'd fly the flag in a heartbeat if I didn't think my vehicle or house wouldn't get burned down.

If it's a symbol that rubs liberal neo-fascists the wrong way, it works for me.
You could fly the Gadsden Flag for that. Alot more fitting, as it truly represents freedom. The Confederate flag represents a more hypocritical cause. And the primary cause was the freedom to keep other human beings in bondage.

Old 07-19-2015, 06:02 AM

38,859 posts, read 25,514,028 times
Default So sorry about your misunderstanding of American history

Quote:
Nope. The American revolution was about overthrowing the government and sending its leaders running, which is a revolution.
The American Revolution was about splitting from Britain and forming an independent nation. Heck, there's even a document known as the Declaration of Independence that lays it all out.

Quote:
That wasn't the plan back in 1861.
The confederate plan was to split from the US and set up an independent nation. A nation dedicated to the maintenance of slavery.
Quote:
But anyway, no one is supporting any "pro-salvery" position. The fact is that slavery existed in the United States of America for decades,
Until it required a costly war to get some to give it up.

Quote:
and it existed under the British crown for a long time before that. And the whole country is founded on genocide and mass colonialism. As is Canada, and Australia, and Argentina, and Brazil, and the list goes on. I don't see why the Confederate States of America is to be singled out as some uniquely bad thing. But as someone pointed out, they lost a war, and I guess that's what it comes down to.
It's only considered a bad thing by those who disapprove of slavery. There are certainly still some today who think that slavery wasn't such a bad thing, as long as someone else served as the slaves.

Old 07-19-2015, 06:12 AM

38,859 posts, read 25,514,028 times
Quote:
It's called a revolution, but that doesn't make it one.

Every other revolution that I know of has not involved secession (the formation of a new country), but only an overturning of the rulership of a given country.

The French Revolution, the Russian Revolution, the Mexican Revolution, the attempted German Revolution (1918)...
Just FYI...

Mexico revolted against Spain. As did many of the Latin American nations. In a way similar to our own revolution. Don't take my word for it. You can look it up.

Quote:
The same goes for civil wars. Only the American "civil war" has involved attempted secession.
We have some very recent examples of civil wars doing exactly that. Particularly in the Balkans and the Caucasus.

Quote:
Last, if you form a new country, then you cannot be committing treason against the country you seceded from.

Treason can only be committed against the country of which you are currently a citizen.
Golly gee!

You're just wrong on so many counts.

But keep waving your stars and bars.

Old 07-19-2015, 06:56 AM

13,242 posts, read 4,917,144 times
Quote:
What I mean by "slippery slope" is that there is no reason to honor the American flag if we are going to dishonor the Confederate flag.

How many times must it be pointed out?

Slavery existed in the North under the American flag from 1776 to 1860.

Indians were ethnically cleansed under the American flag.
Your assertions make very little sense, there are many reasons to honor the American Flag.

Honoring our ancestors does not include loyalty to their mistakes.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies