Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-02-2015, 11:27 AM
Status: "everybody getting reported now.." (set 21 days ago)

29,549 posts, read 16,536,658 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by SHABAZZ310 View Post
What percentage of the folks they survey were black?

I'm pretty sure if you ask a bunch of Nazis if the Swastika is racist many would so no too..
Even black people can be naive or taught wrong in school.

I thought the confederate flag and the "Southern Flag" were 2 different things until about the 5th grade. And I remember in 10th grade when covering the subject in more depth, that I was taught the entire war was over states rights, not slavery, and Slavery was rarely even mentioned in my text book.

Im pretty sure there were many black people taught like me, but never choose to look further into the falsehoods we were taught.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-02-2015, 11:28 AM
Status: "everybody getting reported now.." (set 21 days ago)

29,549 posts, read 16,536,658 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ultor View Post
FOX is conservative, MSNBC is progressive, CNN is liberal.
I was using the terms as directions ques more so than ideology, but i would disagree with your phrasing as well.

Old 07-02-2015, 11:33 AM

15,896 posts, read 11,985,550 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pknopp View Post
I went to South High School just outside of Cleveland. We put rebel flags on our cars because that was the school mascot. It had absolutely nothing to do with slavery though. It was simply a natural counter to the other local high school. North High School.

Just noting for others as I imagine you are aware.

I'm aware of where South is. And yes I do remember they had the rebel flag as their logo. Of course, not anymore.

Old 07-02-2015, 11:43 AM

8,059 posts, read 3,943,773 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by desertdetroiter View Post
I'm in no position to comment on the trustworthy part, but Jimmy Carter was far from naive.

He was the president in a very difficult transformational time in our history...coming out of Vietnam, Watergate, a huge financial mess, and a Middle Eastern malaise....none of which was his doing and no other president could've cleaned up inside of a 4 year term.

To me, he made one huge mistake; allowing the Shah of Iran to come into this country for medical treatment. The response in Iran should've been easy to predict given our shady history in that country. Granted, every other president would've done the same thing, but that doesn't excuse Carter who is a lot smarter than most other presidents.

Jimmy's downfall was declaring war on the U.S. Olympic team in response to the Soviet invasion of Afghanistan.

Old 07-02-2015, 11:50 AM

56,988 posts, read 35,189,362 times
Quote:
Jimmy's downfall was declaring war on the U.S. Olympic team in response to the Soviet invasion of Afghanistan.
That's a picayune matter.

In any case, i don't know who he was supposed to declare war on in response to that invasion. We certainly shouldn't have declared war on the Soviets....that's for sure.

The Soviets got their comeuppance in Afghanistan regardless, but that conflict had nothing to do with the United States and none of our interests were at stake. We never should've gotten involved at all and arming the mujahadeen was one of the dumbest foreign policy ideas of the last century. That put us on the hook for a country that most Americans couldn't find on a map if you painted the borders in red. We had no meaningful trade with them and we share not a single cultural aspect with Afghanistan.

We were better off letting the Soviets have their way with them.

Old 07-02-2015, 11:52 AM

4,176 posts, read 4,669,643 times
Quote:
A lot of other countries boycotted.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/1980_S...ympics_boycott

Old 07-02-2015, 11:55 AM

4,176 posts, read 4,669,643 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Emigrations View Post
Lots of people fly the flag who are not racist oppressors. These are people that have pride in the soldiers who fought and died in the war, but are not racists nor Jim Crow advocates.
And they don't understand what the flag means to non-whites. If you fly that flag simply out of some ill-conceived "pride," then you are ignorant.

Old 07-02-2015, 12:09 PM

79,907 posts, read 44,184,586 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Globe199 View Post
And they don't understand what the flag means to non-whites. If you fly that flag simply out of some ill-conceived "pride," then you are ignorant.
I imagine there are native Americans that feel the same way about the stars and stripes.

Old 07-02-2015, 12:10 PM

15,896 posts, read 11,985,550 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by desertdetroiter View Post
That's a picayune matter.

In any case, i don't know who he was supposed to declare war on in response to that invasion. We certainly shouldn't have declared war on the Soviets....that's for sure.

The Soviets got their comeuppance in Afghanistan regardless, but that conflict had nothing to do with the United States and none of our interests were at stake. We never should've gotten involved at all and arming the mujahadeen was one of the dumbest foreign policy ideas of the last century. That put us on the hook for a country that most Americans couldn't find on a map if you painted the borders in red. We had no meaningful trade with them and we share not a single cultural aspect with Afghanistan.

We were better off letting the Soviets have their way with them.

I agree. But I believe us helping Afghanistan was payback to the Soviets for them helping North Vietnam. In short Afghanistan was the Soviets "Vietnam."

Old 07-02-2015, 12:15 PM

5,734 posts, read 3,250,687 times
basically liberals feel people who don't march lock and step with the left are white people with a low education level. Not surprised because every liberal I have met is an elistist azzhole!

Quote:
Originally Posted by urbanlife78 View Post
"The opinions were not only divided by race, but also, among whites, by education, with people who have more formal education being less likely to see the flag as a symbol of pride."

So basically white people with a low education level think the flag represents pride....why am I not shocked by this poll?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies