Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-31-2008, 11:49 PM

9,725 posts, read 15,171,221 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by cpg35223 View Post
So capital gains tax collections dropped right? Nope. Capital gains tax collections increased from $45 billion annually to $85 billion annually in THREE YEARS. Why? Because suddenly, capital gains transactions such as the buy and selling of equities became much more profitable, leading to more investments, more assets acquired, etc. etc. etc.
Give me some facts to work with. What three years did taxes increase? The three years following the capital gains tax cut? What years would those be?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-31-2008, 11:51 PM

9,725 posts, read 15,171,221 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Amaznjohn View Post
OIC. All of the wealthy Republican money, like George Soros and Warren Buffet, is being spent on the war and nowhere else. I'm wondering who's paying for the infrastructure, welfare, food stamps, WIC, municiple services. Wow those poor people sure pay alot of taxes.
Oh no it isn't! The war is being funded by foreign loans!

Old 02-01-2008, 04:20 AM

18,466 posts, read 15,250,426 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by UB50 View Post
They can't afford medical insurance so they need to keep their salaries low enough to qualify for medicare.
That would be mediCAID, not mediCARE. It's an important distinction. MediCAID is charity. MediCARE is something you pay into your whole working life in the hopes that it is there for you when you get older. When you are talking about the poor it is mediCAID which they have not paid into.

Old 02-01-2008, 04:46 AM

7,381 posts, read 7,693,440 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by UB50 View Post
Oh! That's such a great idea! Instead of getting a job and expecting a paycheck -- you should be paying the person who hired you for the privilege of working for them!

If we could somehow make this a reality, perhaps the government should hire tons and tons of people who would pay them for creating the jobs!!
Evilnewbie was being facetious and demonstrating the absurdity of a previous comment by being absurd. But, it seems you understand this concept.

Old 02-01-2008, 11:30 AM

41,479 posts, read 59,783,759 times
I used the example of a power company redistributing my income into their pockets in a monopolist situation. Anyone living in this society does not have the option of dropping out.

As far as government employment is concerned I think the government should hire employees directly instead of creating profit for labor contractors. the would save a huge amount of money and assure that citizens were employed before illegals.

Employers do not give people jobs. They hire people to do stuff they cannot do themselves and pay as little as possible while getting as much work as possible out of the employee. Employers are not charities.

I want a tax system that makes the people that make the most, and own the most, pay the most taxes. If we cannot have a fair market for everyone, then we need a system the does redistribute the ill gotten gains.

Old 02-01-2008, 11:36 AM

25,100 posts, read 39,261,360 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GregW1 View Post
I used the example of a power company redistributing my income into their pockets in a monopolist situation. Anyone living in this society does not have the option of dropping out.
Excuse me? Are you saying that I don't have the right to "drop" my power company?

Old 02-01-2008, 12:44 PM

4,563 posts, read 4,101,921 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fleet View Post
The wealthy are already taxed.

According to the IRS, the top 50% of wage earners pay 96.54% of the taxes.
The top 25% pay 83.88%. And the top 1% of wage earners pay 34.27%.

If taxes are raised on the wealthy, they just put more of their money in tax-free investments and the government actually gets less revenue.
Yes the wealthy pay a larger share. But their wealth keeps increasing while wages at the bottom have been stagnant since that stupid actor took office in the 80s. He CUT the rate at which the rich were taxed from 70% to 30%.

Since then the rich have gotten off easy. Maybe stocks and assets should be seized if the rich want to dodge their responsibility.

Old 02-01-2008, 12:49 PM

25,100 posts, read 39,261,360 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by odinloki1 View Post
Yes the wealthy pay a larger share. But their wealth keeps increasing while wages at the bottom have been stagnant since that stupid actor took office in the 80s. He CUT the rate at which the rich were taxed from 70% to 30%.

Since then the rich have gotten off easy. Maybe stocks and assets should be seized if the rich want to dodge their responsibility.
Oh Please!

The wealthy now pay the largest share of taxes in this country.

Your post sounds like you are jealous they have money, and you don't -

Many forget - the wealthy actually provide many of the jobs others have -

Think about it -

OBTW - that "stupid actor" (a stupid comment btw)? He is one of the most beloved Presidents in this nations history -

Old 02-01-2008, 12:58 PM

4,563 posts, read 4,101,921 times
NPR: Airline Executives' Rich Bonuses Rile Pilots Union

Heres a reason right here why I would increase the tax rate on those at the top.

Old 02-01-2008, 01:50 PM

3,337 posts, read 5,119,588 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GregW1 View Post

As far as government employment is concerned I think the government should hire employees directly instead of creating profit for labor contractors. the would save a huge amount of money and assure that citizens were employed before illegals.

Employers do not give people jobs. They hire people to do stuff they cannot do themselves and pay as little as possible while getting as much work as possible out of the employee. Employers are not charities.

I want a tax system that makes the people that make the most, and own the most, pay the most taxes. If we cannot have a fair market for everyone, then we need a system the does redistribute the ill gotten gains.

"Ill gotten gains"?

What makes them so "ill gotten"???
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies