Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-05-2008, 09:06 PM

18,466 posts, read 15,247,690 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by twojciac View Post
Read 'The Millionaire Next Door' and you'll have a different perspective on what rich people drive and where they vacation.
Great book. More people should read it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-05-2008, 09:31 PM

337 posts, read 826,375 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by saganista View Post
Responsibility comes as a heavy burden to some. Meanwhile, I'm one of those long-time AMT-payers. How about you?
I have to admit I didn't know so I googled it, the answer is YES.
It just kills me that some people just think the money flows into my bank account while I sit around having play dates with my friends. here is the real story:
My husband and i have been married for 3 years. Wanna hear where my awesome honeymoon was? Well it has yet to happen be cause we work to much and can't get away. Where did you go? We spend more than 9 months apart every year, have no kids because really how can you. We both work like crazy because we are hoping that our sacrifices will one day give us a life that we can enjoy.
Now, does this sound like something you are willing to do? Most people look at us and say you are so lucky because of this or that. Then they see how we are always apart and work all the time and they think maybe we are not so lucky.
So please once again give me a break. everyone has the same opportunities in life unless you are an heir to a fortune.
I didn't come from money, I put myself through college, took student loans (still paying), worked 3 jobs and owed more money than my first job paid a year.
I just refuse to listen to people knock me down for working hard and making a little money for it.
Trust me people often have the mentality that why should I work for something when someone else can give it to me.
How many people on welfare ever pay back a dime of it? I borrowed money for school to get a good job and I have to pay it back with interest. How about that? I mean here is free money to do nothing vs. here is money to get an education, get a job and pay more more taxes.
Seems fair doesn't it. Once again cry me a river.

Old 02-05-2008, 09:33 PM

19,198 posts, read 31,473,857 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by eskmd View Post
...I'm back. I think the current administration has caused a great deal of damage that needs fixing. One of the the lasting problems that we need to get over, is the idea that a difference of opinion has something to do with intelligence. We have become so accustomed to calling Bush an idiot when he promotes ideas that we disagree with. The problem with Bush is, he really IS an idiot, but that should not give us the false sense that people with opinions other than ours are somehow less intelligent.
Well, that's a lot to digest, there. First, almost everything this administration has done counts as damage, and I'm not sure that the word 'almost' actually belongs in there. A substantial list of things to repeal and redo will be waiting on the plate of the next sensible President.

The idea that differences of opinion are justification for excoriation, insult, and dismissal, is a brainchild of the right-wing divide-and-conquer strategists. Their paid shriekers draw most of the fire, but the quiet types who use the shriekers as a standard by which to establish their own credentials as moderate and therefore credible voices, do exactly the same thing. It would indeed be better if we could respect each others well-drawn ideas and opinions, but the air has been poisoned, and it may take a long time for that cloud to clear.

Quote:
Now back to illegal aliens. You are right. It is not feasible to round them up and send them home. Besides, that will cost a lot of tax payer dollars. I think we should leave them alone. We should not arrest them. We should not deport them.
So far, so good.

Quote:
We should be focusing on the employers that are breaking the law.
That's a tough call. No one is paying employers to do full-scale background checks on everyone who walks in looking to apply for a job on the loading dock, and these things can be quite expensive. Profit margins are thin enough already in many cases, and the whole matter of immigration control is both public and federal, as per the Constitution. I don't see how you punish businesses for what are essentially government failings.

Quote:
The whole country should adopt a law similar to the one Arizona just enacted on Jan 1. Businesses, large and small, found hiring illegal aliens should lose their business licenses.
I would have opposed that law for the reasons just outlined. States have limited options, however, and it is at least understandable that heavily impacted front-line states such as AZ would come to try something, even something that isn't a very good idea.

Quote:
The only way we will ever stop illegal immigration is to take away the incentive.
The need for lower-wage labor will continue for quite some time in this economy, hence the incentive isn't going to go away. Rather substantial immigration will be a fact of life, and if we want to normalize it -- which would work to everyone's advantage -- we are going to have to make it at least as cheap and easy to come and work here legally as it is to come and work here illegally. Not much else is really going to help.

Quote:
As Reagan proved, amnesty only encourages more people to come.
Only if you keep on doing exactly what you were doing before the amnesty, and that's all Reagan did. Back to business as usual.

Quote:
If there are no jobs, we don't need walls.
We don't need walls in any case (just a waste of money), and we do need both the jobs and the output (and income) they create. The only sensible avenue that I see is an open and above-board system that will get the qualified workers into the jobs that cry out for them. That should be our number one objective. As long as we have so substantial a portion of our workforce laboring in the shadows, we are going to have continuing problems over it.

Quote:
We can start focusing on securing the borders against people who mean us harm.
One of the side issues, yes. The vast underground community of the undocumented provides a very welcome cover to any who are here for different reasons. Terrorists will always be a needle in a haystack, but the task of detecting them is made all but impossible when the haystack is allowed to be the size that it is.

Quote:
After the dust settles, if we find we need more immigrants, we can always let them in LEGALLY.
Why wait?

Quote:
I am still for a strong state government, but those of us who believe in a humble foreign policy would argue that there are very few global matters.
The degree of humility in foreign policy is not a function of engagement. We do have legitimate interests everywhere in a global economy. We can certainly serve those interests more effectively and efficiently than what we have been doing these past some years.

Quote:
It is important to have friendships and trade among the nations of the world, but I want no part of making policies that govern other countries. I certainly don't think we should be messing around in the middle east so we can have cheap oil. This type of policy has been plaguing us since it's inception.
Israel binds us to the region. Had the Jewish state been established in either Europe or Alaska (as Ahmadinejad has suggested would be a good idea even now), our stance in the Middle East would be very different. As is, we will be involved there one way or another indefinitely, and that's just something we will have to deal with. Clearly, we could have done better than what we have lately. Even with the death of Arafat, Bush has managed only to knock things even more akilter.

Quote:
As to national matters, there are few as well. I would leave most matters up to the state. If I don't like the way my state is run, I can move to another one.
Well, your personal mobility isn't really a good fit as the fulcrum for all US domestic policy. States are good at backing up local governments and at dealing with uniquely localized issues. But they cannot deal effectively with larger scale issues, no matter how some might want to interpret the Constitution. Many issues (health care, pollution, energy, transportation, etc.) do not recognize or respect state boundaries. Only the feds are equipped to deal with such problems on anything like an efficient basis. If we want such problems at least managed, if not solved, the states simply have to step aside as far as having any final say.

Old 02-05-2008, 09:50 PM

5,224 posts, read 5,011,689 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Amaznjohn View Post
I don't think anyone should have the right to judge what people buy or how much money they should earn or how much is too much. Everyone should be treated equally, IMO.

I never said I'm judging what people buy or don't buy nor do I begrudge them what they earn.. not at all..

I'm just giving a different perspective to the whole "we're so overtaxed argument". It doesnt' seem to put much of a damper on their lifestyles nor does it detract from anything they have.. so why should they be so angry about it.

They should be greatful that they have what they have.. I'm grateful for what I have too.. that's all I'm saying..

Old 02-05-2008, 09:55 PM

5,224 posts, read 5,011,689 times
Quote:
To become what some people here like to call "wealthy", most must make sacrifices well beyond that of the "average" tax payer. I'm talking about no life for years. Literally working twenty hours, sleeping four and working twenty more. Weekends, Christmas, New Years. 100-120 hour weeks spending what little other time we had reading and sleeping and fitting family in for an hour here and there. Now, some of us may seem "bitter" about it because we finally get to the light at the end of the tunnel. A place where we dont have to work quite so much and we make a decent living, and we see people who did not make those sacrifices trying to take away from the reward for which we struggled so hard. Does that make it easier to understand?

I'm not saying middle income people dont work hard, but for most of us that want a little more, it takes incredible effort and resolve. And most of us still have to worry about money. You make it seem like we are living in lala land, but those are the very rare few that are TRULY wealthy.
I never said that.. as a matter of fact.. I said the opposite.

And , btw, middle class people are working just as many hours.. I hardly see my husband it's non stop.. he doesn't have much time for his son either.. we make a lot of sacrafices and are making it but are not wealthy.. nor are wer very comfortable either.. maybe we will be someday.. but who knows.

They think we are middle class because we're lazy.. we're not.. they think we're middle class because we have no drive..we're not. Not all of us are cut out to be the type of person that makes that kind of money..lawyer, dr . CEO etc.

Old 02-05-2008, 10:03 PM

20,187 posts, read 23,852,928 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by saganista View Post
That's a tough call. No one is paying employers to do full-scale background checks on everyone who walks in looking to apply for a job on the loading dock, and these things can be quite expensive. Profit margins are thin enough already in many cases, and the whole matter of immigration control is both public and federal, as per the Constitution. I don't see how you punish businesses for what are essentially government failings.
You can punish businesses for breaking the law. It is the law after all and it is not a failing of government if the law is right there in the books and businesses continue to break it. It is a failing of the government when it doesn't enforce those laws. Profit margins are thin? Those that hire illegal immigrants aren't worried about profit margins eaten away by background checks. The are worried about the increase cost for labor.

Quote:
I would have opposed that law for the reasons just outlined. States have limited options, however, and it is at least understandable that heavily impacted front-line states such as AZ would come to try something, even something that isn't a very good idea.
I think it is a very good idea and it is working to curb illegal immigrants from the state. However it is still relatively new, so hard to predict the SHORT term economic influences. Long term, it will remain stable and fine, albeit without illegal immigrants in that state.

Quote:
The need for lower-wage labor will continue for quite some time in this economy, hence the incentive isn't going to go away. Rather substantial immigration will be a fact of life, and if we want to normalize it -- which would work to everyone's advantage -- we are going to have to make it at least as cheap and easy to come and work here legally as it is to come and work here illegally. Not much else is really going to help.
There are more incentives then just low wages. Birthright citizenship, free education, medical care, etc. etc. You take away these incentives and add in more negatives and there will be an influence regardless of what wages are there. Immigration is controlled, illegal immigration is NOT controlled and to suggest we allow illegal immigration because it will "help" some people (mostly immigrants) at the expense of others is not a solution. Illegal immigrants create more of a economic burden for legal citizens while providing a profit benefit for corporations who have no legal obligations to take "care" of these illegal immigrants. You put some of that legal obligation to care for them and you will see nobody employing illegal immigrants.

Quote:
We don't need walls in any case (just a waste of money), and we do need both the jobs and the output (and income) they create. The only sensible avenue that I see is an open and above-board system that will get the qualified workers into the jobs that cry out for them. That should be our number one objective. As long as we have so substantial a portion of our workforce laboring in the shadows, we are going to have continuing problems over it.
To say that walls don't work is silly. It may not be totally preventable but it is a substantial obstacle to deter and that is its purpose... deterrence. We have MORE than just walls, cameras, patrols, etc. etc. and that is key to maintain a closed border. As soon as you get those in the shadows out, you will have legal citizens lining up to work in their place. 5% unemployment with a lot of illegal immigrant labor? How about 0% unemployment with a need for more? Which is better? Without illegal immigrants, there should be NO reason to be unemployed. Those still unemployed should NOT get any benefits as there are plenty of jobs around. Laziness is not to be promoted.

Quote:
Well, your personal mobility isn't really a good fit as the fulcrum for all US domestic policy. States are good at backing up local governments and at dealing with uniquely localized issues. But they cannot deal effectively with larger scale issues, no matter how some might want to interpret the Constitution. Many issues (health care, pollution, energy, transportation, etc.) do not recognize or respect state boundaries. Only the feds are equipped to deal with such problems on anything like an efficient basis. If we want such problems at least managed, if not solved, the states simply have to step aside as far as having any final say.
If states have issues that are across state lines, of course, the federal government should be involved but not by controlling the issue. They may be able to negotiate or penalized a state for not following recommendations but they should not say to a state what they can do and what they cannot do. As of now, the federal government is more involved on things that are not across state lines and are also involved with "social" issues. That isn't the role of government to be controlling social issues or issues unrelated to state lines. If a problem can be managed by a state, why does the federal government need to be involved at all?

Old 02-05-2008, 10:05 PM

20,187 posts, read 23,852,928 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TristansMommy View Post
They think we are middle class because we're lazy.. we're not.. they think we're middle class because we have no drive..we're not. Not all of us are cut out to be the type of person that makes that kind of money..lawyer, dr . CEO etc.
Because you are not cut out to be able to make more money, we should give you more money? Because you want it?

Old 02-05-2008, 10:20 PM

3,432 posts, read 2,951,187 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TristansMommy

Synthesis OF Business :: November :: 2006

18 year old makes $30 million off an idea he came up with making bean bags. He's pretty much rich now. Not all of us are cut out to crap out stupid ideas that make millions?

Old 02-05-2008, 10:55 PM

1,999 posts, read 1,662,683 times
For people are are not making enough money to survice do like many of the others have done, learn a skill, start a business, get more of or any college education, make yourself valuable to someone who will pay you more for your talents.
If someone is working at McDnalds for min wage, they have no right in the world to whine about not making enough money. Its your fault your at McDonalds and you chose to work there. Many former McDonalds workers go on to do great things, only the useless none effort ones who have worked their for 10 years at min wage are the ones that do the whining.
If you have no skills or talent do not expect someone who writes you a check to pay you for just showing up more money. You have to make the person writting the check money or they cannot pay you.
Not everyone is cut out for every type of skill or talent, but then again there are some pretty dran wealthy lawncare fellows I know of that has no education, pretty much no skills other then he has a super personality and knows how to cut grass. He is my BIL and started a lawncare business in Florida a few years ago with nothing, little to no money and he has more employees and trucks on the road then you can count. He is now worth a small fortune. What he did was realize he cannot ever make good money working for someone else because of his skills and no education, so we made the EFFORT to do something on his own that he knows he could do. Very very successful, worked 80+ hours per week for a couple years, now he runs the show, still cut some grass but has grown too large to be doing the work himself. He now hires people who were just like him to give them a chance.

There is no excuse for not having enough money to do what you want and get what you need. Even if you have to work 80 hours per week to do so.

Last week I logged 81 hours of total work, does not count air time, car time or anything, was in 4 states, away from my family and dont whine all the time about it, I chose to do this. Its rewarding and pays darn good.

Our trouble are with the middle to low income people and those who do not pay taxes at all because they wont work, with them not paying their fair share of taxes into the system, they expect the burden to be put on people who have gave the effort and have done well.
That is bull, its time the others start paying their fair share, if you get welfare you should be working on roads and bridges to pay back your free lunch, if you make min wage you need to be working 80 hours a week like I and many others do.

If you dont want more, a better life, more for your kids, a better car or home then sit on your butt and do nothing, those who want all those things have found a way to get them. Its called effort and work !

You will be surprised what that will get you....................

Old 02-06-2008, 04:37 AM

7,381 posts, read 7,692,666 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TristansMommy View Post
I never said I'm judging what people buy or don't buy nor do I begrudge them what they earn.. not at all..

I'm just giving a different perspective to the whole "we're so overtaxed argument". It doesnt' seem to put much of a damper on their lifestyles nor does it detract from anything they have.. so why should they be so angry about it.

They should be greatful that they have what they have.. I'm grateful for what I have too.. that's all I'm saying..
I didn't say you had. However, saying they should be grateful for what they have is implying that somehow these things were given to them. In most cases these individuals worked hard for what they have and have earned it. Is it not reasonable for them to expect to be able to keep it?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies