Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 07-03-2015, 10:17 AM

39,198 posts, read 27,575,665 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by jjrose View Post
I would agree to a compromise. They can discriminate against anyone they want, but they must post on their doors and all advertising that they will not serve _________, _________, _________, and ________.

That way they are free to discriminate, and everyone knows their position and can decide if they want to do business with them.
I agree with that.

Old 07-03-2015, 10:49 AM

2,345 posts, read 1,669,638 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BentBow View Post
The law is unconstitutional. Taking freedom, to make someone else feel good, is tyranny by oppression.

You TOLD THAT RIGHT. If EVERY Decent American is not Boiling about this, they are enemies of All America Stood for...before the Lawless Judges got Control !!

Old 07-03-2015, 01:51 PM

19,966 posts, read 7,866,332 times
Quote:
Maybe because the YWCA and the boy scouts are not businesses, they are private clubs.
A privately owned bakery is also private property. That didn't stop gays and the government from taking away rights.

Old 07-03-2015, 01:57 PM

19,966 posts, read 7,866,332 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by urbanlife78 View Post
That actually isn't true, you don't have the right to refuse service to people for things they can't change like age, sex, or sexual orientation.
Regardless if you can choose to be gay or not. No one was refused service for being gay. They were refused service for wanting an conscientious objector to provide service for a wedding. A gay can choose to not get married, or to go to another bakery.

A heterosexual cannot change that they born feeling homosexuality is repulsive.

Old 07-03-2015, 01:57 PM

31,290 posts, read 20,728,778 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Iamme73 View Post
I don't give one damn about gay marriage, but this silly conservative talking point has to stop.

If this couple were refused to have their wedding cake baked because they engaged in premarital sex, we'd look at these store owners like they were aliens.

If this couple were refused to have their wedding cake baked because they were divorced previously, we'd look at these store owners like they were aliens.

If this couple were refused to have their wedding cake baked because they were single parents, we'd look at these store owners like they were aliens.

If this couple were refused to have their wedding cake baked because they were co-habitating, we'd look at these store owners like they were aliens.

This phony idea that this is about religious freedom is a sham.

It's anti-homosexual bigotry plain and simple.

These store owners don't require the sexual behavior of straight couples to be without sin, so why they heck do they care about homosexuals sexual immorality, oh that's right cause they are bigots.
Do you have a link for all of those allegations?

Old 07-03-2015, 01:58 PM

24,260 posts, read 14,197,584 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mtl1 View Post
A privately owned bakery is also private property. That didn't stop gays and the government from taking away rights.
Not according to the law. It's a public accommodation.

Old 07-03-2015, 01:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by saltine View Post
wonder how this would turn out if they refused to bake a hitler b-day cake?
That would be quite OK. Nazis are not a protected group.

Old 07-03-2015, 02:00 PM

2,686 posts, read 1,769,418 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by helenejen View Post
Want to own a business? Follow the laws regulating businesses. Fail to do so and there are negative consequences.
Why do you hate the First Amendment?

Old 07-03-2015, 02:00 PM

Quote:
What if some mom and pop store owners had a sincere belief that blacks carry the mark of Cain and that they should be separated from whites? Should we have laws to protect them too?
How about if a business has a sincere belief that women are the cause of the fall of man, and that they shouldn't be served? Should we have special laws to protect them?

Maybe we should just say that anything that one "sincerely believes" is ok. Then no one would ever have to follow any laws.
You are close. As a business owner, I should be able to choose my products, my prices, my location, my hours, my dress code and my customers.

Old 07-03-2015, 02:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lilyflower3191981 View Post
I believe in free market. Free market will take care of all kinds of bigotry, racism, hate. You don't want to do business with black person? Well, suffer from the consequences. You perhaps will lose a lot of businesses from both white and black.
This is true. They are only hurting themselves.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies