Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-06-2015, 08:16 AM

39,222 posts, read 27,597,823 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beenaroundabit View Post
To the original topic...

I'm a former Marine and I don't find the gay version of the image insulting at all. The photo was not "sacred" to me or to those I served with. The cause and the sacrifices made were sacred, not the photo.

It was simply a popular photo that made Joe Rosenthal famous and sold a lot of war bonds. It wasn't even a photo of the actual flag raising on Suribachi. It was also created about a decade ago: I'm trying to shift into my "delayed outrage" gear, but it seems to be broken.

If one could say the Marines on Iwo were "fighting for" anything, I'd say it was for the freedoms we enjoy as Americans, to include free speech.

In truth, it was probably more for survival, the Marine in the next hole, and the right to go home to their families. I'm confident that Mike Strank, Harlan Block, Frank Sousley, Rene Gagnon, Ira Hays, and Doc Bradley would agree. But that's a different topic.
I agree with ALL the bolded.

I can only assume that the "artist" was not trying to be disrespectful, he said that himself. So i would choose to give the artist benefit of the doubt that he truly didn't mean to be disrespectful. I still think the "artwork" is poor taste. (just my personal opinion anyway)

I can only imagine that there must be some Marines out there who are offended by this photo. If they do, I can understand where they are coming from as well.

I think respect is a two way street.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-08-2015, 10:03 AM

1,027 posts, read 1,378,462 times
Conservatives trying to restrict freedom of speech again. They want everything to be PC and get offended so easily.

Old 07-08-2015, 10:10 AM

1,793 posts, read 1,441,626 times
I'm a Marine. Machinegunner.

Doesn't bother me in the slightest. A Marine...not bothered.

I can't post the best one...the one with naked women....ummmmmm, Marines (the straight ones anyway...and I guess the lesbians too) love-love-love naked women. More nake women posing is a plus.

Signed,

A Marine.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies