Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-03-2015, 08:36 AM

17,495 posts, read 17,366,182 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bulldogdad View Post
Amazing the sheer stupidity and ignorance of some of the posts on here.

Obviously many of you if any have never been the parents of female teens much less been responsible for their medical care.

Yeah let's just pass the **** out like frigging candy with absolutely no care as to it's proper use and medical followup.

Oh and don't tell Mommy and Daddy litle girls it will just be our little secret.

Like a bunch of drug pushing pedophile freaks.

What a buncha scumbags.
Glad someone sees the point I was trying to make.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-03-2015, 08:49 AM

5,064 posts, read 5,704,942 times
Birth control has been proven to increase breast cancer rates and the highest risk is to women who started bc as teenagers. Schools should not be giving out bc like mints. And they definitely shouldn't be hiding it from the parents.
Not to mention that bc provides zero protection against STDs.
If a girl avoids getting pregnant but gets Herpes and then breast cancer in her 30s, somehow that doesn't seem like a win. This school is not protecting these children, they are putting them more at risk.

http://www.cancer.gov/about-cancer/c...-fact-sheet#q3

Old 07-03-2015, 08:58 AM

90,316 posts, read 120,300,450 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pknopp View Post
If my daughter came to us seeking birth control I would have no problem seeing that she gets it. I am not against birth control for teens. I've argued that sex education should include all aspects (including noting that abstinence is the only 100% sure way of not getting pregnant or an STD) but if someone did this to my daughter without my knowledge, I would take a baseball bat to them.
Mine are grown, but I have to say I agree!

My kids' sex ed program did include the bold, in fact, it was a question on every test, e.g. "What is the only sure way to not get pregnant?"

Some kids do think their parents would "kill" them if they asked to go on BC, even if untrue; I see no problem making condoms and foam (Is that still used? I'm way beyond the need for BC!) available, but not rx methods w/o parents' consent until at least 16.

Old 07-03-2015, 08:59 AM

11,070 posts, read 10,632,892 times
I've never been a fan of random litigation, but I'd have this school district in court so fast their heads would spin. Giving 6th graders an iud? Not their job, ever.

Old 07-03-2015, 09:08 AM

88,599 posts, read 44,365,850 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by brentwoodgirl View Post
Birth control has been proven to increase breast cancer rates and the highest risk is to women who started bc as teenagers. Schools should not be giving out bc like mints. And they definitely shouldn't be hiding it from the parents.
That's why I advocate barrier methods for teen girls. No hormones. No uterine implants. PLUS the added benefit of STD protection.

No glove = no love. Period.

Quote:
If a girl avoids getting pregnant but gets Herpes and then breast cancer in her 30s, somehow that doesn't seem like a win. This school is not protecting these children, they are putting them more at risk.

Oral Contraceptives and Cancer Risk - National Cancer Institute
Unfortunately, so it would seem. Stick to condoms and other barrier methods for teen girls.

Old 07-03-2015, 09:09 AM

79,906 posts, read 43,928,273 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Katarina Witt View Post
Mine are grown, but I have to say I agree!

My kids' sex ed program did include the bold, in fact, it was a question on every test, e.g. "What is the only sure way to not get pregnant?"

Some kids do think their parents would "kill" them if they asked to go on BC, even if untrue; I see no problem making condoms and foam (Is that still used? I'm way beyond the need for BC!) available, but not rx methods w/o parents' consent until at least 16.
I don't have a problem with condoms either. Not, pills, IUD's or anything else that requires a doctors involvement. (without the parent's knowledge)

Old 07-03-2015, 09:10 AM

88,599 posts, read 44,365,850 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JimRom View Post
I've never been a fan of random litigation, but I'd have this school district in court so fast their heads would spin. Giving 6th graders an iud? Not their job, ever.
Exactly.

Old 07-03-2015, 09:18 AM

90,316 posts, read 120,300,450 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by victimofGM View Post
Another concern I have is what could be the long term effects of children as young as preteen taking hormone BC considering their bodies are in the early stages of development?
I think the safety of the pill is pretty well established. If they're having periods, they have reached the final stages of development.

Quote:
Originally Posted by WhipperSnapper 88 View Post
You people just don't seem to get it, do you?

As much as people might not like to admit it, the world raises your child, not you. The environment your child grows up in will determine how they think about certain subjects like sex, and what they will view as normal and what is not, not you. Children are not raised in a vacuum. They are not immune from the worlds influence. The influence of society will be what shapes young minds.

So the fact that we see high birth rates in kids who grow up in Conservative homes, in a world that says promiscuous sex is ok, proves nothing. The world says casual sex and promiscuity are ok, through the sex saturated pop culture and media, therefore, kids will grow up thinking it's ok. Society says that drug use is ok by glamourizing it, so therefore we're seeing pushes to legalize drugs. It's why homosexuality is now accepted by the majority ( which is a good thing )

On the opposite side of the spectrum, smoking cigarettes used to be viewed as normal, but since has been stigmatized, and we're seeing all time low smoking rates.

What were the birthrates 100 years ago when the world took a far more Conservative stance on sex? It used to be that having sex outsideof marriage was looked down upon and brought shame to yourself.

Programs like this one only serve to tell kids that it's ok to have all the sex you want, and there won't be consequences for promiscuous behavior. As long as that's the attitude adopted by the public at large, it won't matter how Conservatively one raises their child, they'll adopt the attitude and behavior that the rest of the world says is ok and normal.
Higher.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rakin View Post
What is truly hard to believe is that 6th graders are having sex.
Yes. Years ago, I had a job where we went into the middle schools to give immunizations to 6th graders. We had to tell the girls that they should not get pregnant for 3 months after getting the MMR vaccine. One girl told me they didn't do that in 6th grade. I asked her when they did start, and she replied "8th".

Old 07-03-2015, 09:21 AM

68,284 posts, read 54,079,395 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WhipperSnapper 88 View Post
Just more normalization of the free love, promiscuous type culture that libs love so much.

What's next? Free abortions for 5th graders?
Not quite clear on the concept of birth control and what it's meant to prevent, eh?

Old 07-03-2015, 09:24 AM

4,899 posts, read 3,534,878 times
So what? schools in NYC have been doing this for years. Kids are having sex at 13 and even 12 in many areas, esp in "inner city" areas. many high schools in NYC have daycare facilities, for the students.

ETA: I was talking about condoms being given out above , not IUDs. A quick google search on my own yielded nothing but blogs and ultra conservative sources. Think I'll wait for further validation on possibility of IUD's without parental consent before I react.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies