Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-04-2015, 09:47 AM

63,919 posts, read 46,615,875 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by victimofGM View Post
Another concern I have is what could be the long term effects of children as young as preteen taking hormone BC considering their bodies are in the early stages of development?
I agree. I also have concern about the long term effects of children, as young as preteen, having children.

Maybe we should teach our sons to keep it in their pants. God gave them hands for a reason.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-04-2015, 10:57 AM

46,891 posts, read 25,866,768 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Roadking2003 View Post
So you think you know what's best for other people's kids?
Unplanned teenage pregnancies are worth avoiding, I think that's pretty much a given. I have no problem saying that the teenager who has knowledge and options as regards contraception is better off than the teenager who doesn't.

And as we can see that some of those "other people" are falling down on the job of providing their kids with tools and knowledge, then yes, we should provide their kids with what they need to make informed decisions.

Quote:
Who anointed you with that power?
It's called empathy. Having kids get pregnant because their parents were squeamish or lazy or ignorant is a bad thing.

Old 07-04-2015, 11:01 AM

46,891 posts, read 25,866,768 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by InformedConsent View Post
And, I'm a she.
Apologies, ma'am. No disrespect intended.

Old 07-04-2015, 11:24 AM

86,052 posts, read 84,329,907 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WhipperSnapper 88 View Post
Just more normalization of the free love, promiscuous type culture that libs love so much.

What's next? Free abortions for 5th graders?
Nah..federal funds cannot be used for abortion so daycare centers have sprung up on campuses for the students who have babies.

Old 07-04-2015, 12:25 PM

2,686 posts, read 1,765,898 times
The city of Seattle sure does a lot of stupid things. I reckon that is what happened when leftists control a place.

Old 07-04-2015, 03:05 PM

31,290 posts, read 20,692,854 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dane_in_LA View Post
Unplanned teenage pregnancies are worth avoiding, I think that's pretty much a given. I have no problem saying that the teenager who has knowledge and options as regards contraception is better off than the teenager who doesn't.

And as we can see that some of those "other people" are falling down on the job of providing their kids with tools and knowledge, then yes, we should provide their kids with what they need to make informed decisions.

It's called empathy. Having kids get pregnant because their parents were squeamish or lazy or ignorant is a bad thing.
Nice deflection, but nobody is advocating that young girls get pregnant.

No, it's not empathy. It's assuming that you know better than the parents how to raise their child. It's called arrogance.

Old 07-04-2015, 04:39 PM

13,933 posts, read 12,870,842 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by middle-aged mom View Post
As opposed to a 5 th grader having a baby?
Or we could teach 5th graders, ( and on up ) that sex is not just some joke, or some recreational activity, and instead teach them that it's a serious thing that should be reserved for people within serious relationships. It'll only work if that is the prevailing mindset in general, however.
Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyTexan View Post
NYC schools give students the Plan B pill so you're not too far off here. They've been doing it since 2013.
As another poster put it earlier in the thread, I'd take a baseball bat to anyone who gave my child birth control without my say-so.

A lot of people are saying "look at the high birth rates in Conservative states", but another problem with that logic is that the school system is now beginning to usurp the parents Right to raise their kids the way they want to. Even if I did teach my child abstaence, what good does it do if he school will just go ahead and slip them condoms and birth control under the table anyway?

Old 07-04-2015, 06:57 PM

18,349 posts, read 18,966,033 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WhipperSnapper 88 View Post
Or we could teach 5th graders, ( and on up ) that sex is not just some joke, or some recreational activity, and instead teach them that it's a serious thing that should be reserved for people within serious relationships. It'll only work if that is the prevailing mindset in general, however.
you can teach them anything, will they take it to heart is the question. some will others won't.

As another poster put it earlier in the thread, I'd take a baseball bat to anyone who gave my child birth control without my say-so.

some kids are not comfortable asking their parents for birth control. if they are having sex they should be protecting themselves against pregnancy and STDs.

A lot of people are saying "look at the high birth rates in Conservative states", but another problem with that logic is that the school system is now beginning to usurp the parents Right to raise their kids the way they want to. Even if I did teach my child abstaence, what good does it do if he school will just go ahead and slip them condoms and birth control under the table anyway?
what good is it to teach abstinence and have the school hand out condoms? children have their own personalities and minds, no matter how much we might try to parent. some kids are people pleasers and will walk the straight and narrow their parents laid out. other kids no matter what they are taught will walk where they want. the condoms are there for the kids who go their own way, not the "good" kid that can abstain.

Old 07-04-2015, 07:01 PM

79,908 posts, read 44,075,058 times
For some reason no one wants to discuss what the OP brought up. The schools providing medical decisions behind the backs of parents.

Old 07-04-2015, 07:06 PM

1,136 posts, read 919,931 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rakin View Post
Seeing how we all complain about Feral teens and parents who don't give a crap / no involvement, I don't see this as a negative if done correctly.
If we can prevent 13 year old girls from getting pregnant maybe we can cut down on abortions and change a few lives for the better.

Please stop the BS that Conservatives are against these programs.
Oh no my world is ending, I actually agree with you.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies