Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-04-2015, 11:02 AM

9,885 posts, read 10,967,002 times

Advertisements

"...it is a disgrace that as a country we send young people overseas to defend us and then when they return broken physically and mentally they are given in most cases minimal care..."

And there, folks, is the reason for this whole thread!
There SHOULD be no need for any such charities! The GOVERNMENT owes those veterans full care and comfort! Why should a disabled veteran have to go to a CHARITY to get a wheelchair? THE GOVERNMENT owes him or her that chair!
Yet, how many of you posting here have written to their representatives or the President DEMANDING that veterans be given everything that was promised to them, and they EARNED? When the government said they needed to cut veteran's or retiree's benefits, how many of you wrote to your representatives saying "OH, HELL, NO!"? Actually, I bet there are those on here who ENCOURAGED such cuts!
Yes, I am a Vietnam veteran and a military retiree. Yes, I have a vested interest in the issue!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-04-2015, 11:13 AM

39,208 posts, read 27,575,665 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Redraven View Post
"...it is a disgrace that as a country we send young people overseas to defend us and then when they return broken physically and mentally they are given in most cases minimal care..."

And there, folks, is the reason for this whole thread!
There SHOULD be no need for any such charities! The GOVERNMENT owes those veterans full care and comfort! Why should a disabled veteran have to go to a CHARITY to get a wheelchair? THE GOVERNMENT owes him or her that chair!
Yet, how many of you posting here have written to their representatives or the President DEMANDING that veterans be given everything that was promised to them, and they EARNED? When the government said they needed to cut veteran's or retiree's benefits, how many of you wrote to your representatives saying "OH, HELL, NO!"? Actually, I bet there are those on here who ENCOURAGED such cuts!
Yes, I am a Vietnam veteran and a military retiree. Yes, I have a vested interest in the issue!
I have.

Old 07-04-2015, 11:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dsjj251 View Post
If it depends on the location, then you dont agree.
I volunteer at my local VA hospital, I do the best I can.

Old 07-04-2015, 11:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Irishiis49 View Post
The VA as it currently exists is not going to improve just by throwing more tax $$$ into its pit of incompetence and mis-management...it is a disgrace that as a country we send young people overseas to defend us and then when they return broken physically and mentally they are given in most cases minimal care...Glad for private organizations that see this injustice and put their money where it counts...SHOULD we NEED these types of organizations???In a perfect world no...but we live in a far from perfect world or country...
The bolded is really the bottom line. Matter of fact, I am going to start my own.

Old 07-04-2015, 12:22 PM

56,988 posts, read 35,179,016 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Loveshiscountry View Post
They/re not getting everything they need.

[/i]
That's why i made the thread. I know they aren't. Why is the question.
Quote:
Originally Posted by thecoalman View Post
You ever have someone in your family with major medical issues especially if they are young and expected to live a long time? It gets expensive no matter how good your insurance is. I had a relative spending about $225 a week for 3 months on travel expenses alone and it goes beyond that as it's been years now with the occasional trip. They have probably spent $10K on gas and tolls alone.
Yeah, but those aren't veterans. This is a different issue although i can appreciate what you're saying.

These veterans have a well to draw from, and it's called ME and YOU!! And they should be drawing every drop of water out of it that they deserve.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Taratova View Post
[b]The Republicans believe in charity.. from the American people]/b].. the democrats believe in taking taxes and distributing it to the illegals not to the Americans . Big difference.
I know you guys believe in charity...big time. And not the way you mean it either.

Anyway, that's got nothing to do with the thread.
Quote:
Originally Posted by middle-aged mom View Post
Illegal immigration became a tidal wave in the 80's and peaked in 2006 with the housing bubble. It has not mattered who sat the oval or held the majority. " Doing nothing" for 30 years was not an accident. Way to many make too much money off of illegals to do anything.

So long as undocumented workers remain employed, nothing will change. only 4 states require e- Verify for all employees. Why is this?
That's a great question.
Quote:
Originally Posted by TrapperJohn View Post
Because liberals hate soldiers and spending anymore than the minimum?
Seriously though..like, i thought you were a doctor?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Arjay51 View Post
Why? Because our government won't and our president hates the military and its veterans.
Yeah well, unlike the poster i quoted above your quote, you're definitely not a doctor so i've got far lower expectations from you. You didn't disappoint.
Quote:
Who says that they are getting everything that they need?

Do some research prior to making blanket (and incorrect) statements.
That was a rhetorical statement basically saying that i DON'T believe they're getting everything they need.

SMH...just..nevermind.
Quote:
You have a gift for making false statements in your attempt to justify yourself.
Again, you're totally confounding the issue vs what i'm saying.
Quote:
Originally Posted by lilyflower3191981 View Post
The bolded is really the bottom line. Matter of fact, I am going to start my own.
Oh yeah?

Old 07-04-2015, 12:31 PM

1,603 posts, read 1,112,769 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by desertdetroiter View Post
I looked up their mission statement, and i have no issue with what they do. I understand that it's a charity. Fine and good.

But WHY is this necessary? This organization was made to serve veterans (disabled) of actions post 9.11, and if i remember right, the American people in majority numbers were quite gung-ho about going to these wars and actions. Some still want to go back over there and fight ISIS and one poll i saw showed that a majority of Americans would support it.

So since we were so gung ho to go to war, why aren't we paying for these soldiers needs with our tax money? Why is a charity obviously needed to fill the gaps that we as tax payers aren't filling ourselves? I don't give a damn if our taxes have to go up...if that's what's needed then our taxes should be raised until there's enough to money to take care of every last need these vets have. And they shouldn't have any co-pays either.

I'm not sure why, but although i find this charitable organization to be noble, i'm annoyed that there's a need for its existence. Maybe i'm out of line here, but i'm sure that i'll be straightened out by some of the more informed people that might chime in on the thread if i'm wrong.
Because government failed, so a charity stepped in. We could fund the charity better if we weren't taxed for the dysfunctional government service.

Old 07-04-2015, 01:07 PM

56,988 posts, read 35,179,016 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Veneficus View Post
Because government failed, so a charity stepped in. We could fund the charity better if we weren't taxed for the dysfunctional government service.
Probably, but let's be honest...we HAVE to fund the VA. I mean, even if you ceaselessly explained to the American people that we're gonna divert VA funds to charitable organizations, politicians would frame it during some election as to how their opponent "cut money to our soldiers" and blah, blah, blah, and people would be silly enough to buy into it and the b.s. would go on from there.....

Lemme also say that i think you're wrong when you say "government failed." Yeah, you're technically right, but we're the government...so we're failing. This Wounded Warrior Project is all over TV so Americans can easily make the deduction that our post 9/11 veterans (this charity is set up ad hoc for them) must be getting short changed. I don't get why this is tolerated.

Again, i know i'm probably being a bit silly to be slightly offended that this charity organization had to spring up in order to fill the gaps. There's nothing wrong with charity, but this is akin to our vets having their hands sticking out IMO...and i don't like it. There should be no gaps needing to be filled.

But as other posters have said, in a perfect world, this wouldn't be needed. But the world isn't perfect...i get it.

Old 07-04-2015, 03:48 PM

12,149 posts, read 8,414,093 times
^^

The world isn't perfect. It would be nice if we didn't play politics with people. Anyone who serves in combat shouldn't have to rely on charity.

Old 07-04-2015, 04:05 PM

8,061 posts, read 4,882,876 times
I have donated and yes our Veterans should not have to worry about the everyday needs.

Old 07-04-2015, 04:09 PM

8,061 posts, read 4,882,876 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by desertdetroiter View Post
Probably, but let's be honest...we HAVE to fund the VA. I mean, even if you ceaselessly explained to the American people that we're gonna divert VA funds to charitable organizations, politicians would frame it during some election as to how their opponent "cut money to our soldiers" and blah, blah, blah, and people would be silly enough to buy into it and the b.s. would go on from there.....

Lemme also say that i think you're wrong when you say "government failed." Yeah, you're technically right, but we're the government...so we're failing. This Wounded Warrior Project is all over TV so Americans can easily make the deduction that our post 9/11 veterans (this charity is set up ad hoc for them) must be getting short changed. I don't get why this is tolerated.

Again, i know i'm probably being a bit silly to be slightly offended that this charity organization had to spring up in order to fill the gaps. There's nothing wrong with charity, but this is akin to our vets having their hands sticking out IMO...and i don't like it. There should be no gaps needing to be filled.

But as other posters have said, in a perfect world, this wouldn't be needed. But the world isn't perfect...i get it.
I am a Veteran and I do have issues, but I am reluctant to apply because of the wait time. Plus I feel am very lucky because there are people who have greater needs than I.

I still get up in the morning, Kiss my wife and Go to work. I am Blessed!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies