Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-06-2015, 10:22 PM

9,569 posts, read 5,560,136 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by green_mariner View Post
Agreed. If one wants to paint in on a car or fly it from a truck, it's allowed. I won't like it at all, I certainly have no respect for ANYTHING related to the Confederate cause. However, it is one's freedom of speech in that aspect. It doesn't belong on public buildings or federal buildings. Only USA flags and the state flags.
green? it's about symbolism and what it means. If you are a black person in South Carolina and you see a Confederate flag flying over your state capitol what does that mean to you? It doesn't take a rocket scientist to figure it out.
It's quite funny too how the flag and the Dukes of Hazzards have their flag removed from the General Lee. For some reason I never equated Bo & Luke as racists. Well at least they never came across that way but it is Hollywood.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-07-2015, 07:15 AM

72,797 posts, read 62,106,836 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bobdreamz View Post
green? it's about symbolism and what it means. If you are a black person in South Carolina and you see a Confederate flag flying over your state capitol what does that mean to you? It doesn't take a rocket scientist to figure it out.
It's quite funny too how the flag and the Dukes of Hazzards have their flag removed from the General Lee. For some reason I never equated Bo & Luke as racists. Well at least they never came across that way but it is Hollywood.
I am a Black person who lives in Georgia. To me, the Confederate flag does not symbolize southern heritage. There are southern roots in my family. I do not claim such a heritage. In fact, every time I see someone sporting a Confederate flag, I roll my eyes is disgust. It symbolizes the Confederate cause, which was to keep and maintain slavery in the South. One reason I despise that flag.

My whole point was about freedom of speech vs flying that flag around a public building. The Constitution can't stop someone from flying it from their truck or painting it on their car. I don't have any respect for those persons who elect to do so. However, I can't stop them because their right to fly something so traitorous is protected.

On the other hand, I most certainly believe it should never be flown from public buildings.

Old 07-07-2015, 11:57 AM

716 posts, read 390,404 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MikMal View Post
Who's to say that they're a racists? They may be flying it for other reasons, such as simply Southern pride...
The Confederacy was a treasonous, failed violent revolution in an attempt to preserve slavery long after the rest of the civilized world had outlawed it. Nothing about that should inspire pride unless you are racist, segregationist or you hate America.

Old 07-07-2015, 12:45 PM

18,986 posts, read 8,991,867 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by green_mariner View Post
I am a Black person who lives in Georgia. To me, the Confederate flag does not symbolize southern heritage. There are southern roots in my family. I do not claim such a heritage. In fact, every time I see someone sporting a Confederate flag, I roll my eyes is disgust. It symbolizes the Confederate cause, which was to keep and maintain slavery in the South. One reason I despise that flag.

My whole point was about freedom of speech vs flying that flag around a public building. The Constitution can't stop someone from flying it from their truck or painting it on their car. I don't have any respect for those persons who elect to do so. However, I can't stop them because their right to fly something so traitorous is protected.

On the other hand, I most certainly believe it should never be flown from public buildings.
This post should be required reading for every Conservative who claims that the flag hurts no one, and is just a symbol of southern pride and heratige. Here is a black person who lives in the south who explains exactly what the flag symbolizes to blacks living in its shadow. Are they not American citizens, too? Why should they be forced to see this symbol of their ancesteral oppression flown over the capitol cities in their country?

Fly it wherever you want as an individual on private property. But it should not be sanctioned by the U.S. government over public buildings. Period. Here's hoping the SC House follows the Senate's lead.

Old 07-07-2015, 01:06 PM

20,460 posts, read 26,220,178 times
Here's a good use for the 'confederate battle flag':

TOILET PAPER Rebel Flag 718856120017 | VIPs Save 10% & Free Shipping - PrankPlace.com

"You aren't a true rebel until you're a rebel in the bathroom. And you can't be a rebel in the bathroom unless you own our Rebel Confederate Flag toilet paper. If you've figured out some other way to be a rebel in the bathroom, well, we just don't want to know about that!"

Ken

Old 07-07-2015, 01:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JAMS14 View Post
This post should be required reading for every Conservative who claims that the flag hurts no one, and is just a symbol of southern pride and heratige. Here is a black person who lives in the south who explains exactly what the flag symbolizes to blacks living in its shadow. Are they not American citizens, too? Why should they be forced to see this symbol of their ancesteral oppression flown over the capitol cities in their country?

Fly it wherever you want as an individual on private property. But it should not be sanctioned by the U.S. government over public buildings. Period. Here's hoping the SC House follows the Senate's lead.
Not so much every Conservative, but anyone who still clings so hard to the Confederate flag and its cause.

One more thing to add. A majority of African-Americans are southerners. By the definition, a majority of African-Americans should be claiming the Confederate flag as part of their southern heritage. However, according to a CNN poll, and other polls, a majority of African-Americans view the Confederate flag in a negative way, and do not see it as part of southern pride.

Last edited by green_mariner; 07-07-2015 at 01:24 PM..

Old 07-07-2015, 01:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LordBalfor View Post
Here's a good use for the 'confederate battle flag':

TOILET PAPER Rebel Flag 718856120017 | VIPs Save 10% & Free Shipping - PrankPlace.com

"You aren't a true rebel until you're a rebel in the bathroom. And you can't be a rebel in the bathroom unless you own our Rebel Confederate Flag toilet paper. If you've figured out some other way to be a rebel in the bathroom, well, we just don't want to know about that!"

Ken
I started laughing when I read this.

Old 07-07-2015, 08:30 PM

9,694 posts, read 7,330,596 times
Since the flag been taking down from the csa monument where it wasnt over the capitol building and sent to the museum, so people will stop talking about it. Why dont we send slavery to the museum and stop talking about it too. maybe instead of living in the past we can get along with life and be happy. Not forget about history but put it where its need to be, in the museums.

Old 07-07-2015, 08:42 PM

2,630 posts, read 1,444,058 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by brownbagg View Post
i bought ten of them
Hoarding can be a problem! I guess you've already stocked up on you know what because Obama "is going to take your guns."

Old 07-07-2015, 08:58 PM

20,460 posts, read 26,220,178 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SoloforLife View Post
Hoarding can be a problem! I guess you've already stocked up on you know what because Obama "is going to take your guns."
Yeah that whole "Obama is buying up all the ammo" nonsense just cracked me up. All those gun nut morons buying up ammo at inflated prices because they believed that the gub'ment was causing the ammo shortage. As it turned out THEY created the shortage. Even the ammo makers and the NRA later admitted that.

LOL

Ken
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies