Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-05-2015, 03:19 AM

2,794 posts, read 4,155,308 times

Advertisements

For all you young folks out there....what will be the legacy of your generation? What are you passionate about? Just how are you going to change the world?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-05-2015, 04:29 AM

2,777 posts, read 1,781,052 times
I'm not exactly a 'young folk', but do you honestly think that you could have answered this question when you were their age? I've found that a lot of old people assume that things are easier than they were or nearly exactly the same, but the thing about young people is that instead of the potential threat of nuclear holocaust, they're facing the certain threat of climate change, and it's not like nuclear holocaust is off the table.

I'd say that thanks to the preceding generations, they're either going to spend most of their lives cleaning up the mess, or face the fact that it's impossible to do so and will just try to get through it the best they can.

Anyone who is alive in the 2030s and 40s is going to have a lot of very scary issues to deal with that most of us couldn't possibly imagine, and it's not something that they can prepare for or control in any way.

The only real question is whether to let them enjoy their youth, or try to prepare them for the future.

Old 07-05-2015, 05:37 AM

15,945 posts, read 12,282,765 times
Life will go on.. all the fear mongering about the world 'going to hell' is mostly mental perception. Society has never been more at peace and humans have never had more personal freedom than in the last 100 years or so.

Generations blaming each other for society's woes is silly.. you can't blame entire generations... mostly it's the media that controls how a society and culture evolve.. humans are just programs more often than not they will simply believe what they are told. It's not their fault that they can't rise above what society tells them to believe to achieve some mystical ideal about how things should be stated by some conspiracy nut trolling internet forums.

Relax and live your life.. life's too short to get too flustered about stuff.

Old 07-05-2015, 06:12 AM

2,777 posts, read 1,781,052 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stockwiz View Post
Life will go on.. all the fear mongering about the world 'going to hell' is mostly mental perception. Society has never been more at peace and humans have never had more personal freedom than in the last 100 years or so.
So that means that bad things could never happen?
That the trend is certain to continue?

And that whole 'more at peace' thing only works if you leave out the two most destructive conflicts that the world has ever known. Bear in mind that both of them occurred over the span of about half a decade, unlike past conflicts, which tended to drag out for decades at a time.

I'm not saying it isn't possible for things to turn out okay or for technology or AI to solve all of our problems, but pretending that everything is definitely going to be fine isn't in any way realistic.

Quote:
Originally Posted by stockwiz View Post
Generations blaming each other for society's woes is silly.. you can't blame entire generations... mostly it's the media that controls how a society and culture evolve.. humans are just programs more often than not they will simply believe what they are told. It's not their fault that they can't rise above what society tells them to believe to achieve some mystical ideal about how things should be stated by some conspiracy nut trolling internet forums.

Relax and live your life.. life's too short to get too flustered about stuff.
You seriously think that nothing we are doing today will have any effect on the future?

There's a difference between enjoying life and being totally irresponsibly complacent. I've found that sentiments like 'relax and live your life' mostly pertain to the latter.

Old 07-05-2015, 06:18 AM

6,542 posts, read 4,093,577 times
The thing about legacies, you don't really know what they'll be until the time has past.

Old 07-05-2015, 06:54 AM

25,021 posts, read 27,927,795 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KsStorm View Post
For all you young folks out there....what will be the legacy of your generation? What are you passionate about? Just how are you going to change the world?
So, Boomer, which generation are you talking about? So far, Generation X is coming into power, Millennials/Y still too young to have any influence but that will start to change in the next 10 years; the oldest Millennials are only 33-35 years old, still too young on the world political stage at leadership level. And we have Generation Z which is still being born. Obama is a Boomer. It must pain you to know that, but your generation owns him, he's one of you

Old 07-05-2015, 07:35 AM

8,059 posts, read 3,943,773 times
Default What is this generation's legacy?

‘Trigger warnings’ and ‘safe spaces’

Old 07-05-2015, 07:54 AM

15,859 posts, read 21,436,084 times
What I hope will be our legacy is a healthcare system that's on par with the rest of the developed and developing world and a solution to climate change and the upcoming water crisis (we're already starting to see it begin in California). The former is because I'm a Millennial who has already fought and beat cancer and learned firsthand how broken our medical system is (even as I had access to one of the top cancer hospitals in the world - my oncologists are limited by what some insurance officer would authorize) and my life depends on adequate medical care. The latter because all of our lives depend on it.

We've known for at least a decade that the next great threat isn't nuclear war or even religious infighting - it's access to water. Many wars have been fought over that access, and I fear many wars will be fought again.

Old 07-05-2015, 08:05 AM

15,631 posts, read 10,386,562 times
One of the Millennials' legacies may be the change in how people perceive a college degree. Before this generation, college equaled an above average paying job. Now, Millennials have found that borrowing huge sums for a college degree, especially in fields like film history, gender studies, or sociology, does not necessarily lead to career success, or even a decent-paying job.

I think the blue collar professions will make a comeback as a result of this legacy. You can't nor ever will be able to hire the Chinese in China to rewire your kitchen lights. And, my electrician charges $100 an hour to do just that.

Who knows, yet.

Old 07-05-2015, 08:05 AM

11,086 posts, read 8,542,326 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by theunbrainwashed View Post
Obama is a Boomer. It must pain you to know that, but your generation owns him, he's one of you
He's not your typical boomer. That's why he was able to con the Millenials into voting for him.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies