Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 01-24-2008, 02:20 PM

2,238 posts, read 9,757,389 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yeledaf View Post
No Oscars. Just the back of their hand. As you well know.
But that's not what you said. You said they won NO Hollywood awards. I see quite a few there, and guess where a lot of 'em are from? Yeah...Hollywood.

Old 01-24-2008, 03:50 PM

20,169 posts, read 24,334,415 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RoaminRed View Post
But that's not what you said. You said they won NO Hollywood awards. I see quite a few there, and guess where a lot of 'em are from? Yeah...Hollywood.
Whatever. It's the big kahuna that counts, and you know it.

Except to trivia hounds.

Old 01-24-2008, 09:16 PM

2,238 posts, read 9,757,389 times
Quote:
Whatever. It's the big kahuna that counts, and you know it.

Except to trivia hounds.
Okay, I see how this works...you make a statement, I refute it, then you backpedal and say it's not what you meant. Cool, I can play that game too.

Old 01-24-2008, 09:40 PM

385 posts, read 1,556,032 times
I am still laughing at the remark someone made about Bush being sensitive. Smirky maybe, but certainly not sensitive. Are we sure that Bush canceled this appearance because of Mr. Ledger's death? What have they got to do with one another?

Every year SAMSHA does a major drug study that keeps track of the shifting interests of people and drugs (illegal, prescription, etc.). Every year, I can point to one thing like this new ad that is funded by and promoted by the government in late fall to start at the beginning of the new year. It has nothing whatsover to do with the sudden and unfortunate demise of Mr. Ledger.

Old 01-24-2008, 09:53 PM

14,044 posts, read 27,222,159 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KimK View Post
Are we sure that Bush canceled this appearance because of Mr. Ledger's death? What have they got to do with one another?
The event was to promote the avoidance of prescription drug abuse. It was speculated that this may have lead to Ledger's death, so the link seems pretty apparent to me. He may have not wanted to seem ghoulish.

Old 01-24-2008, 10:01 PM

20,169 posts, read 24,334,415 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RoaminRed View Post
Okay, I see how this works...you make a statement, I refute it, then you backpedal and say it's not what you meant. Cool, I can play that game too.
How insightful.

You play in the bush leagues.

Old 01-24-2008, 10:23 PM

4,426 posts, read 5,919,758 times
Quote:
How insightful.

You play in the bush leagues.
spoken like a true republican there yeledaf...

since you're so upset with the mocking of the american culture that surrounds the cowboy... I wonder what your opinion is in regards to others who are considered american cultural icons? James Dean and many others come to mind? but he wasn't a "metro" straight guy playing a rugged gay cowboy... he was a rugged gay man playing a straight man all the time....how time changes everything.... and how many are too consumed with being shocked.. that they miss the underlying truths....or refuse to acknowlege them.. which is also a wonderful republican trait...

Last edited by boiseguy; 01-24-2008 at 11:55 PM..

Old 01-25-2008, 07:46 AM

2,885 posts, read 1,985,419 times
James Dean was not gay. He had a big thing with Pier Angeli and was brokenhearted when she married Vic Damone. Where did you hear his?

Old 01-25-2008, 01:05 PM

4,426 posts, read 5,919,758 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lillietta View Post
James Dean was not gay. He had a big thing with Pier Angeli and was brokenhearted when she married Vic Damone. Where did you hear his?
many gay men or women in the past have "things" with people... you can't understand or know a person until you know their thoughts and not just their actions.. society dictates people's actions... and society did not allow for open gayness...so there are many accounts from people who have had intimate relations with him that are speaking out

Look Up James Dean on Wikepidia.. and you get this wonderful little blurp.. that is referenced...

James Dean - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

[edit] Dean's personal relationships and sexual orientation
Today, Dean is often considered an icon because of his "experimental" take on life, which included his ambivalent sexuality.[21] There have been several accounts of Dean's sexual relationships with both men and women. William Bast was one of Dean's closest friends, a fact acknowledged by Dean's family.[22] Dean's first biographer (1956),[23] Bast was his roommate at UCLA and later in New York, and knew Dean throughout the last five years of his life. Bast has recently published a revealing update of his first book, in which, after years of successfully dodging the question as to whether he and Dean were sexually involved,[24][25] he has finally admitted that they were.[26] In this second book Bast describes the difficult circumstances of their involvement and also deals frankly with some of Dean's other homosexual relationships, notably the actor's friendship with Rogers Brackett, the influential producer of radio dramas who encouraged Dean in his career and provided him with useful professional contacts.[27]

Journalist Joe Hyams suggests that any homosexual acts Dean might have involved himself in appear to have been strictly "for trade," as a means of advancing his career. Val Holley notes that, according to Hollywood biographer Lawrence J. Quirk, gay Hollywood columnist Mike Connolly "would put the make on the most prominent young actors, including Robert Francis, Guy Madison, Anthony Perkins, Nick Adams and James Dean."[28] However, the "trade only" notion is debated by Bast[29] and other Dean biographers.[30] Indeed, aside from Bast's account of his own relationship with Dean, Dean's fellow biker and "Night Watch" member John Gilmore claims he and Dean "experimented" with homosexual acts on one occasion in New York, and it is difficult to see how Dean, then already in his twenties, would have viewed this as a "trade" means of advancing his career.[31] (On the other hand, Gilmore's account of his friendship with Dean has the reputation of dubious tabloid sensationalism.) In his Natalie Wood biography, Gavin Lambert, himself homosexual and part of the Hollywood gay circles of the 50s and 60s, describes Dean as being bisexual. Rebel director Nicholas Ray has also gone on record to say that Dean was bisexual.[32] Additionally, William Bast and biographer Paul Alexander conclude that Dean was at least bisexual, if not homosexual.[33] [34], although this aspect of Dean's personality still makes some fans uncomfortable (especially Paul Alexander's work got under attack when published). This is also evident in George Perry's biography when Dean's bi-/homosexual orientation is reduced to "experimentation".[35] Still, Joe Hyams and Paul Alexander also claim that Dean's relationship with pastor De Weerd had a sexual aspect, too.[36][37] Bast also shows that Dean had knowledge of gay bars and customs.[38] Consequently, Robert Aldrich and Garry Wotherspoon's book Who's Who in Contemporary Gay and Lesbian History: From World War II to the Present Day (2001) includes an entry on James Dean. Dean avoided the draft by registering as a homosexual, then classified by the US government as a mental disorder. When questioned about his orientation, he is reported to have said, "Well, I'm certainly not going through life with one hand tied behind my back."[39]

but that is off topic.. but answering your question...
anyway.. back to Ledger...

Old 01-25-2008, 01:09 PM

2,885 posts, read 1,985,419 times
Oh wikipedia. pffffft and even at that....it's still ambiguous. So not worth quoting.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies