Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-06-2015, 04:46 PM

20,524 posts, read 15,833,748 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by mtl1 View Post
Your race is white and your ethnicity is Irish and your nationality is American. You could call yourself white or Irish or American. Carlos Slim race is perhaps white, his ethnicity is Middle Eastern rather than hispanic and his nationality is Mexican. But none of that changes the fact that historically Mexicans are predominately mestizo and Americans European.
Not quite true. Argentines and Spaniards are also "Hispanic" even tho most are of the "white" race. Mr Slim is just as "Hispanic" as a mix race Spanish speaking Indian from Guatemala under US govt rules.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-06-2015, 04:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmac1 View Post
ahhh... Ethnicity and nationality are two different things. We are all Americans in our nationality if we have citizenship, but ethnically and culturally we could be anything we'd like. Racially, not so much.
There are some Irish as in from Ireland; people who are part "Black", but they still ID as Irish ethnicity like Samantha Mumba, the singer.

Old 07-06-2015, 04:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by caribdoll View Post
Well ask Caribbean people of any background, and they will tell you an American is anyone born/born and raised here..."white," "black," Asian or anything in between. If you open your mouth and an American accent pops out, they don't care if you are green...you're American and thus part of dominant culture.
Quote:
Originally Posted by lilyflower3191981 View Post
i don't believe it. but whatever
caribdoll IS right: an American of any race or mix is tagged as a "Yank" probably everywhere in the world between our accents and the way we carry ourselves. Many US expats told me that and not all were "anglo white" either.

Old 07-06-2015, 04:55 PM

38,975 posts, read 27,367,691 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Packard fan View Post
caribdoll IS right: an American of any race or mix is tagged as a "Yank" probably everywhere in the world between our accents and the way we carry ourselves. Many US expats told me that and not all were "anglo white" either.
No, I don't think caribdoll is right. But that is just my opinion. caribdoll is basically saying every subculture in America is the dominating culture. That is simply untrue. I didn't even talk about race, who cared about race? Race didn't even come to my mind and it rarely does.

Old 07-06-2015, 04:59 PM

6,234 posts, read 8,388,430 times
I don't get the black = African American. I am white and from South Africa. Many people are black and not of African heritage. Just a poor choice of descriptive terms which don't ALWAYS mean what they are intended to mean.

Old 07-06-2015, 05:04 PM

15,068 posts, read 6,117,023 times
Quote:
No, I don't think caribdoll is right. But that is just my opinion. caribdoll is basically saying every subculture in America is the dominating culture. That is simply untrue. I didn't even talk about race, who cared about race? Race didn't even come to my mind and it rarely does.
Quote:
I think you and they are quite misinformed.

First of all, to deny the existence of a dominating culture is the most disrespectful thing you can ever do to a country. To say all the subcultures (although some elements subcultures are superior) are dominating culture is ignorant and arrogant.

Secondly, to say each country has an unique dominating culture, doesn't mean to admitting that culture is superior. Will you say Muslim countries in ME have a dominating Muslim culture? will you say that culture is better than most Asian or European culture? I would say some elements of Muslim culture are superb, but many elements of that culture are not so good. (just like all cultures)

Why not having an honest discussion about culture without being overly p.c.?

Last but not the least. Exactly what is culture?

Culture is the characteristics and knowledge of a particular group of people, defined by everything from language, religion, cuisine, social habits, music and arts.

Do you deny there are key differences between western culture and eastern culture? So why is it so politically incorrect to say white and black people created American culture, Asian people created Asian culture?

The term "Western culture" has come to define the culture of European countries as well as those that have been heavily influenced by European immigration.

In Eastern culture there is less of a distinction between secular society and religious philosophy than there is in the West.

While Spain and Portugal are on the European continent, they are considered the key influencers of what is known as Latin culture, which denotes people using languages derived from Latin, also known as Romance languages.

etc, etc, etc.

A country needs an identity. To say that every culture is the dominating culture as long as "american accent" come out your mouths is the most disrespectful thing you can say to people.

You can argue that culture is no longer fixed, if it ever was. It is essentially fluid and constantly in motion.

But to deny each country has its own unique cultural identity is quite ignorant.

If you truly believe all men are created equally, then you should have no problems to criticize or admire ANY cultures. I have absolutely no problem to admit white people and black people created this unique American culture. All other cultures are subcultures in this country. And like it or not, early immigrants embraced Christianity's rich cultural heritage. This is really just history.
Nope. That is not what I am saying. I am simply sharing their perspective. Not in disagreement with you about the reality. It's not a race issue at all. A Senegalese is "black" here but not part of dominant culture.

Old 07-06-2015, 05:05 PM

Quote:
Nope. That is not what I am saying. I am simply sharing their perspective. Not in disagreement with you about the reality. It's not a race issue at all. A Senegalese is "black" here but not part of dominant culture.
Maybe I misunderstood you, or maybe you misunderstood me. I was talking about culture, not race.

I do believe American culture is created by both white people, and black people. Historically speaking only. I think we should all respect that. ( Not saying you don't)

Old 07-06-2015, 05:07 PM

Quote:
Maybe I misunderstood you, or maybe you misunderstood me. I was talking about culture, not race.
Gotcha...but I was sharing a different cultural perspective, irrespective of race.

But your post did use racial terminology though.

Old 07-06-2015, 05:10 PM

Quote:
Gotcha...but I was sharing a different cultural perspective, irrespective of race.

But your post did use racial terminology though.
well, then now you know.

I think you get the message I am trying to send out. It is all good.

Old 07-06-2015, 05:16 PM

Quote:
well, then now you know.

I think you get the message I am trying to send out. It is all good.
People tend to use racial terms to describe particular cultures a lot here.

But regarding the Caribbean, that is how they see things...a Yankee is a Yankee to them.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Packard fan View Post
Yep...generally speaking, that's how is.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies