Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-06-2015, 11:04 PM

25,732 posts, read 18,809,520 times

Advertisements

Here are some more:

**** ... When the lighter ancient Egyptians were in power, they called the darker group "the evil race of Ish". When the darker ancient Egyptians were in power, they called the lighter group "the pale, degraded race of Arvad".[2]

**** ... an historian of the 3rd century Han Dynasty in the territory of present-day China describes barbarians of blond hair and green eyes as resembling "the monkeys from which they are descended."[2]

If nothing else, you guys that love to speak in declaratives do prompt further research. I can thank you for that. From what I have read in summaries, this idea of "race" developed over time, it didn't all of a sudden pop up one day in a castle in Europe.

Of course, by reading a few blurbs on the matter, that doesn't mean I have any more expertise on the topic that you do. If I had a lot of time and a bunch of research on the matter, I could further develop my views. But at this point, I think I've seen enough to cast doubt on your declaration, especially considering that you have an axe to grind. I personally don't care much one way or the other because that all happened centuries ago. I'm not responsible for what anyone did at that time. I can't change it, so I'm going to move on. Lots of bad things happened in the past on all sides and colors of humanity. There's nothing I can do about that. It's done. I can only control what I do in the here-and-now.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-06-2015, 11:18 PM

15,292 posts, read 7,759,397 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chuckmann View Post
There is difference between "race" and "tribe"
Really? Both terms refer to population groups that are large, partially inbred, extended families. The only difference is that we tend to think of tribes as being smaller than races.

Old 07-06-2015, 11:19 PM

16,591 posts, read 8,610,160 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DCforever View Post
Many do call themselves ________ - Americans. Ever been to a St Patrick's Day Parade?
First of all few people call themselves "Irish Americans" as all people are Irish on St Patrick's Day. I have Irish in me, but I am not a hyphenated-American. No I am American, and if asked I can say that I have an ethnic heritage of Irish.

Regardless you know very well what the OP is getting at. When the media plays their PC games of calling all blacks "African-Americans", they have no clue if those peoples ancestors are from Africa or not. However you never see them generalize all white people by saying European-Americans. Simple reason is that the liberal media is infected with PC, so they reserve their bias for minorities and or PC protected groups. Whites, especially male Christians are not worthy of their PC games.

Call Jamaicans African-Americans and see how happy they are about it.
Strangely those infected with PC who worry about harming anyone's delicate feelings, seem to not give a flip that some blacks find the term of hyphenated-American, especially "African" offensive. I wonder why?

`

Old 07-07-2015, 12:11 AM

755 posts, read 675,515 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by residinghere2007 View Post
Well I'll rephrase my previous comments - why do you care what white people call themselves?

The question is not relevant. People can call themselves whatever they want to call themselves for whatever reasons they want.

Black people evidently don't care about being lumped into a category. If you really are black, do you care?

I'm not white, but I think it would be appropriate of me to guess that white people don't care if you call them white.

White people chime in!

Do you want jmac1 to call you European American or white?

LOL
Why are you on a discussion board if you don't want to discuss anything? If you don't like it............go away, please.

Lol, who are you to deem a question relevant or not?

Old 07-07-2015, 12:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Iamme73 View Post
Exactly, they don't want to know the truth about this stuff.

It's sad because the reality out there for all to see.

At some point the phony idea of different human races has to die. But too many white Americans are invested in this completely made up identity whose foundation was white supremacy, racism, and anti-black hatred.

We are convinced that race is important and explanatory about behavior/character.

Terms like black on black crime, the black oow birth rate are indicative of this reductive racist thinking that says behavior is controlled by skin color.

The way we discuss so called black problems as if they aren't part of America, but instead these problems exist on black racial island caused by what's collectively wrong within the black race.

This is the fundamentally racist discussion we have been holding about the black race for decade after decade after decade.

This idea that racism isn't the problem, but what's wrong with the broken black race is the problem is the same point this racist nation has always made.

There was never a time where white supremacists looked at black poverty as indicting American racism. Never.

The racist explanation is and always and continues to be there is something lacking, something wrong, within the black race.

This is the legacy of white supremacy outside of systematic discrimination against black Americans in employment, housing, and the criminal justice system, is the ability for so many to know our history see these grotesque racial disparities and just like racists of the past say, oh that's not America's fault, the black race is broken.
Damn!!! That is some real stuff right there. Wow!! I like the connection or lack thereof between blacks and Americans being seen as different for the purpose of supporting racial stereotyping and prejudices.

Old 07-07-2015, 12:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roadking2003 View Post
Facts? Keep trying. Just because it's a fact in your mind doesn't mean it really is.

Humans with similar attributes have been banding together since the beginning of recorded history. Even the American Indians did it.

And of course our all knowing government has always promoted racial division and continues to do so today under Obama, the most divisive president in our history.
True, not because of anything he did, but because of his skin color!!

Old 07-07-2015, 12:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by froglipz View Post
I don't get the black = African American. I am white and from South Africa. Many people are black and not of African heritage. Just a poor choice of descriptive terms which don't ALWAYS mean what they are intended to mean.

Thank you.

Again that was the purpose of my OP. Why? It is just silly and inaccurate. But I love how the indignant posters come in here and act as if this is not the case, so they say things like it doesn't matter as if it will make it not true.

Not the point of the thread people. If you want to post how racially colorblind you are, go tell it on the mountain, not here.

Old 07-07-2015, 12:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vector1 View Post
First of all few people call themselves "Irish Americans" as all people are Irish on St Patrick's Day. I have Irish in me, but I am not a hyphenated-American. No I am American, and if asked I can say that I have an ethnic heritage of Irish.

Regardless you know very well what the OP is getting at. When the media plays their PC games of calling all blacks "African-Americans", they have no clue if those peoples ancestors are from Africa or not. However you never see them generalize all white people by saying European-Americans. Simple reason is that the liberal media is infected with PC, so they reserve their bias for minorities and or PC protected groups. Whites, especially male Christians are not worthy of their PC games.

Call Jamaicans African-Americans and see how happy they are about it.
Strangely those infected with PC who worry about harming anyone's delicate feelings, seem to not give a flip that some blacks find the term of hyphenated-American, especially "African" offensive. I wonder why?

`

By George he gets it! Great Post!! A lot of insightful posts and great discussion to the "non-PC" people here.

I wish more posters could be honest like you and not play the dumb game to avoid reality. Being PC makes people dishonest and ridiculous......

When someone says they don't see color, I put up my guard.....unless you are Stevie Wonder. You know the people who will use everything but color to describe someone when everyone in the room is the same color except the person you are trying to describe.

Old 07-07-2015, 07:15 AM

17,077 posts, read 13,369,227 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jmac1 View Post
I'm going to start calling all "white" people European Americans...... I think they should be reminded where they are from as well as Asian Americans, Mexican Americans, and African African Americans......... You never here Armenian American, Italian American, Russian American, German American......so European American is appropriate no?
In all seriousness, there is nothing in my life that would identify me as of European descent other than the color of my skin and perhaps my surname, but even that doesn't tell the whole story. My ancestors came to these shores a long, long time ago. How and why can be only surmised from a smattering of records. To say that I am anything other than American would be silly, as is the case for my parents and their parents before them and so on and so on. Anything else that would identify me as belonging a particular culture or combination of cultures beyond these shores is lost. There are no recipes or holiday traditions or accent or anything else that would identify me as Irish or Dutch or Finnish or Austrian or Italian. None. Absolutely none. And I have a certain sadness about this to be perfectly forthright about the matter, but I am comfortable being referred to as a White American by others, because that's how I physically present. As for people with dark brown skin, I have no dog in that fight, so I can only adhere to however an individual wishes to be known in a particular context. If it is African-American, so be it. If it is Black American or Mixed American or just plain American, the same applies.

Last edited by randomparent; 07-07-2015 at 07:34 AM..

Old 07-07-2015, 07:38 AM

20,524 posts, read 15,903,758 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chuckmann View Post
There is difference between "race" and "tribe" (or ethnicity)

We in American see all things as color. That is why back in the heyday of racism, the white racists made the mistake of categorizing dark complexioned people from India as "black".
Agreed. Too, some dark skin anglo white people also got snagged by Jim Crow.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies