Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-06-2015, 04:46 PM

9,588 posts, read 5,836,586 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oldglory View Post
We are not however identified as a Hispanic country. That is a minority culture along with some others. That seems to be something that some don't get.
I don't think language is the real issue for you. You seem to have a negative attitude toward immigrants in general. That's why you became angry with me, isn't it? Because I'm an immigrant? It doesn't matter to you if English is an immigrant's first language, or, heck, if they sound like a member of the British Royal Family when they speak. Nope. They weren't born here, so, therefore, in your eyes, they're not American, and they'll never be American. They're second-class citizens (yes, many of us are US citizens, you know), and they're not entitled to hold opinions about anything having to do with the US.

Last edited by newdixiegirl; 08-06-2015 at 05:12 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-06-2015, 05:00 PM

17,077 posts, read 13,356,098 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Packard fan View Post
That "Hispanic culture" was knocked out after we took that land from Mexico. The ONLY reason there are even many "Hispanic" people here in 2015 is due to immigration, a lot of that illegal. Tho I'm truly sorry we didn't take ALL of Mexico in 1848.
The land was seized from the government of Mexico, but the people and their culture remain.

Old 08-06-2015, 05:21 PM

12,287 posts, read 9,816,866 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by randomparent View Post
The land was seized from the government of Mexico, but the people and their culture remain.
Not really.

Texas succeeded from Mexico. Texas was an independent country for lack of a better term for about a decade. Texas then joined the U.S. The U.S. Texas and the U.S. Thought the border was the rio grand. Mexico thought the border was further north. The U.S. Sent troops to their border and Mexico did the same, unfortunately for those two things to happen the troops would have to fight each.

So a war started and we ended up marching all the way down to Mexico City. Mexico was in political disarray as they were a newly formed country, they had new leaders every few months it seamed at the time. So the U.S. Negotiated a deal with Mexico for some additional desert of which they paid for and everyone was happy. In the early 1800's hardly anyone lived in what became Texas, New Mexico, Arizona and Southern California.

Or we can keep doing the evil white men stole the land from the poor mexican routine.

Old 08-06-2015, 05:23 PM

755 posts, read 674,985 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vector1 View Post

However when you say it is a fact we all came from Africa, it sounds like you bought into the one study that speculates this, but is not definitely proved to be true.

`
Please educate me. What do you know that anthropologists, archeologists, and scientist don't know?

"one study"

Old 08-06-2015, 05:25 PM

934 posts, read 595,154 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by newdixiegirl View Post
I don't think language is the real issue for you. You seem to have a negative attitude toward immigrants in general. That's why you became angry with me, isn't it? Because I'm an immigrant? It doesn't matter to you if English is an immigrant's first language, or, heck, if they sound like a member of the British Royal Family when they speak. Nope. They weren't born here, so, therefore, in your eyes, they're not American, and they'll never be American. They're second-class citizens (yes, many of us are US citizens, you know), and they're not entitled to hold opinions about anything having to do with the US.
Also has issues with children of immigrants

Old 08-06-2015, 05:34 PM

17,077 posts, read 13,356,098 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by shooting4life View Post
Not really.

Texas succeeded from Mexico. Texas was an independent country for lack of a better term for about a decade. Texas then joined the U.S. The U.S. Texas and the U.S. Thought the border was the rio grand. Mexico thought the border was further north. The U.S. Sent troops to their border and Mexico did the same, unfortunately for those two things to happen the troops would have to fight each.

So a war started and we ended up marching all the way down to Mexico City. Mexico was in political disarray as they were a newly formed country, they had new leaders every few months it seamed at the time. So the U.S. Negotiated a deal with Mexico for some additional desert of which they paid for and everyone was happy. In the early 1800's hardly anyone lived in what became Texas, New Mexico, Arizona and Southern California.

Or we can keep doing the evil white men stole the land from the poor mexican routine.
The extant Hispanic culture of New Mexico, Arizona, and Colorado's San Luis Valley begs to differ. They may not have been numerous, but they certainly did not disappear into the ether after the Gadsden Purchase.

Old 08-06-2015, 05:39 PM

12,287 posts, read 9,816,866 times
Quote:
The extant Hispanic culture of New Mexico, Arizona, and Colorado's San Luis Valley begs to differ. They may not have been numerous, but they certainly did not disappear into the ether after the Gadsden Purchase.
The current Hispanic culture in the border states isn't from pre 1850's. They did not disappear, they assimilated like the majority of immigrants did at the time over a couple of generations.

Old 08-06-2015, 05:50 PM

62,871 posts, read 29,103,656 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by newdixiegirl View Post
You're totally wrong. I have no problem with legal immigrants in diversified and reasonable numbers. I am not angry with you and certainly not because you are an immigrant but you constantly keep referring to our country as the land of immigrants and I resent that. It might have been so long ago but not today. We are a nation of American citizens that still allows in immigrants. As I said our citizen population way outnumbers our immigrant population That does not make us a land of immigrants per se. When do we get to shed that stupid label and just be ourselves.... a land of Americans?

Stop putting words in my mouth. I have said nor implied any of the things that you are claiming about me in your post. I couldn't care less if an immigrants speaks English with an accent either. Where did I say that anyone born here was not a citizen of this country or was second class? Do you just make this stuff up as you go along? If you continue down this line of making stuff up about me and not being civil you will be put on my ignore list. The choice is yours.

Old 08-06-2015, 05:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by shooting4life View Post
The current Hispanic culture in the border states isn't from pre 1850's. They did not disappear, they assimilated like the majority of immigrants did at the time over a couple of generations.
Then why is it that everywhere I go most Hispanics are speaking in Spanish exclusively? Is that assimilation? Are they all first generation? Come on you know better than that.

Old 08-06-2015, 05:53 PM

Quote:
It wasn't "seized" it was bought and paid for.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies