Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-06-2015, 05:00 PM

46,943 posts, read 25,960,211 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by T-310 View Post
Stop all legal/illegal immigration.
So a full-blooded American who falls in love with a foreigner and marries him/her should just find somewhere else to live?

This is what people who want to stop all immigration generally do not want to address: By far the highest number of US legal immigrants are close family to US citizens.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-06-2015, 06:16 PM

20,524 posts, read 15,894,477 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OwlAndSparrow View Post
It's entirely about xenophobia and racism. Nothing more.

Yeah, you'll hear people saying that the country is somehow full or that we can't handle having more labor, but you'll rarely find actual evidence of this. You'll rarely find anyone actually being hurt by immigration, illegal or otherwise. Meanwhile, immigration, both legal and illegal, helps millions of people around the world to find a better life in this beautiful country, and it helps our country grow stronger and more cosmopolitan.

Maybe we'll eventually lose the stigma of being the world's largest nation of monolinguals.
NO country with 2 or more main languages does all that well; from time to time the Quebec people wanna break away and have their own country AND expect the rest of Canada to be "bilingual" but DON'T want English to equal power in Quebec.

Too; there nothing wrong in controlling who we let in. if that pisses off Hispanics, Chinese or Irish, I don't care and I'm OF "Irish" family.

Old 07-06-2015, 06:30 PM

46,943 posts, read 25,960,211 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Packard fan View Post
NO country with 2 or more main languages does all that well;
Switzerland may beg to differ...

Old 07-06-2015, 06:41 PM

7,800 posts, read 10,101,805 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Packard fan View Post
NO country with 2 or more main languages does all that well; from time to time the Quebec people wanna break away and have their own country AND expect the rest of Canada to be "bilingual" but DON'T want English to equal power in Quebec.

Too; there nothing wrong in controlling who we let in. if that pisses off Hispanics, Chinese or Irish, I don't care and I'm OF "Irish" family.
The Quebec independence movement is basically dead.

The Netherlands has 3 official languages: Dutch, Papiameto, and Frisian; additionally English is "officially recognized" in the Caribbean constituent countries and special municipalities. Separatism is nearly non-existent ... in a series of referendums between 2005 and 2010 in the ABC and BES islands all voted to remain Dutch - either as a constituent country(kinda like a state of the US) or by becoming a special municipality of the Netherlands proper.

Switzerland has German, French, and Italian as it's official languages.

Old 07-06-2015, 06:45 PM

22,444 posts, read 11,969,169 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OwlAndSparrow View Post
It's entirely about xenophobia and racism. Nothing more.

Yeah, you'll hear people saying that the country is somehow full or that we can't handle having more labor, but you'll rarely find actual evidence of this. You'll rarely find anyone actually being hurt by immigration, illegal or otherwise. Meanwhile, immigration, both legal and illegal, helps millions of people around the world to find a better life in this beautiful country, and it helps our country grow stronger and more cosmopolitan.

Maybe we'll eventually lose the stigma of being the world's largest nation of monolinguals.
^What total nonsense!

So, you think that we have unlimited potable water and buildable land? If you think that, then you are really out of touch. Some of us do care about the environment and sustainability of our natural resources.

Do you honestly believe the tripe your wrote? For example "You'll rarely find anyone actually being hurt by immigration, illegal or otherwise". How about you talk to Americans in the construction trades who lost their livelihoods when they got undercut by sleazy companies who hire illegals and pay them under the table.

How about you talk to experienced American citizen STEM/IT workers who have lost their livelihoods to H1-B visa holders.

Old 07-06-2015, 06:59 PM

9,828 posts, read 9,408,272 times
Pandering to the bigots? The GOP primaries must be just around the corner!

Old 07-06-2015, 07:09 PM

27,307 posts, read 16,210,815 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dane_in_LA View Post
So a full-blooded American who falls in love with a foreigner and marries him/her should just find somewhere else to live?

This is what people who want to stop all immigration generally do not want to address: By far the highest number of US legal immigrants are close family to US citizens.
Tough. All immigration ceases until it is massively overhauled. And that could take a whole.

Old 07-06-2015, 07:18 PM

62,866 posts, read 29,098,263 times
"So-called illegals"? They are illegal aliens there is no "so-called" about it. Here she goes again with her usual race card pulling and attacking white conservatives again. I could care less what color an immigrant is just that they come here legally and I know that is the sentiments of most Americans including white conservatives. As for ethnicity, aren't we supposed to be a country based on diversity? How is it diversity when we favor one group? Doesn't anyone else count? What's wrong with equality in our legal immigration numbers which would include her favored group? I would say that anyone who favors one group over others has the racist hat on the wrong head.

Xenophobia is a fear of strangers. Just who is a stranger to our country? We already have every conceivable race, ethnic group and nationality living here legally. And we allow in 1 million legal immigrants a year. Sick of her race card pulling and attacking white conservatives with nothing but lies all the time.

Old 07-06-2015, 07:47 PM

5,895 posts, read 3,894,360 times
I have no problems with legal immigration being greatly reduced. In fact, I very much encourage it.

We already have way too many Americans who are either unemployed, underemployed, or juggling several jobs at once. Let's ensure the well-being of our own people first. Call me old fashioned but they come first.

Old 07-06-2015, 09:50 PM

15,292 posts, read 7,752,831 times
Quote:
DENVER, July 6 (Reuters) - Republican 2016 presidential hopefuls Scott
Walker and Rick Santorum are suggesting a potentially controversial way to boost Americans' job prospects: admit fewer legal immigrants into the United States.
It's about freakin time.

Quote:
The notion, absent from presidential politics for at least 20 years...
It's been absent from all of mainstream American politics for at least 20 years. Truely bizzare. I remember trying to get conservatives interested in discussing it back in 2008 when every news cycle mentioned the latest efforts to create more jobs. I would point out that all the job gains were being cancelled out by adding new foreigners to the workforce. But it wasn't an issue on Fox News so nobody was interested in talking about it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies