Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-06-2015, 12:35 PM

24,561 posts, read 40,256,351 times

Advertisements

I'm all for it!

Some White House Republican Hopefuls Want Curbs On Legal Immigration
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-06-2015, 12:37 PM

34,278 posts, read 19,351,603 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BigDGeek View Post
Me as well. I wish more of the Democratic side felt this way.

Old 07-06-2015, 12:38 PM

3,826 posts, read 3,385,465 times
Quote:

Unless you are the next Werner Von Braun or Albert Einstein, we don't need no more ditch diggers.

Old 07-06-2015, 12:42 PM

31,767 posts, read 28,800,296 times
Let us start with what qualifies as Legal Immigration. Dowe have a list to debate? Or, are we goingby popular flavor of the day provided to you by politicians?

Old 07-06-2015, 12:45 PM

8,391 posts, read 6,292,554 times
Quote:
yes, I have posted for years that those opposed to so called illegals are really against immigration in general based on the ethnicity and "race" of most of the immigrants. They believe we have too many of the wrong color entering the nation and really want that stopped.

It's pure xenophobia, and although some Democrats certainly share those sentiments, the political leadership of the party rejects those ideas.

Yet, those racist ideas do find a home with conservatives.

Old 07-06-2015, 12:56 PM

31,767 posts, read 28,800,296 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Iamme73 View Post
yes, I have posted for years that those opposed to so called illegals are really against immigration in general based on the ethnicity and "race" of most of the immigrants. They believe we have too many of the wrong color entering the nation and really want that stopped.

It's pure xenophobia, and although some Democrats certainly share those sentiments, the political leadership of the party rejects those ideas.

Yet, those racist ideas do find a home with conservatives.
Exactly. This goes back to the days when immigration was to be open only for Caucasians. Then came Thind vs US (1923?) that made it "difficult" since Mr Thind qualified as a Caucasian but not quite the preferred skin color/ethnic group. The SC worked around this problem by turning Caucasian into White Caucasian.

Pretty much the same story.

Old 07-06-2015, 01:13 PM

46,946 posts, read 25,950,677 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LetsRock View Post
Unless you are the next Werner Von Braun or Albert Einstein, we don't need no more ditch diggers.
Ditch diggers tend to find it pretty hard to immigrate legally, anyway - at least based on their future prospects in the ditch-digging career.

The challenge is that out of (2013 numbers) 460K or so people granted permanent resident status, about 390K are family-based immigrants. And it's not 3rd cousins once removed, either - by far the biggest chunk is spouses, young children and parents of US citizens. I believe most would find it reasonable to say that a US citizen has a right to live with his/her bona fide spouse in the US?

The remaining 70K are what's more open to fiddle with, and I'm rather surprised that the diversity lottery is still in play. That's 40-45K/year right there, and it doesn't strike me as a political hot potato at all.

Table 6:

http://www.dhs.gov/sites/default/fil..._yb_2013_0.pdf

Old 07-06-2015, 01:18 PM

39,164 posts, read 27,558,641 times
Quote:
Me too.

Old 07-06-2015, 01:24 PM

13,510 posts, read 17,023,102 times
Citing legal immigration numbers is pointless as long as the number of illegals dwarfs those here legally.

I'm a Democrat and lean left on most issue, but support limitations on all immigration, starting first with illegal immigration. The responsibility of the US Government should be to all US citizens first, not only to business that wants cheap labor, and not only to the Hispanic activists/lobbys that want to increase their own power.

I am Caucasian and have no problem being a minority..what I do have a problem with is excessive numbers of people from Mexico and Central America dominating the immigration numbers. You cannot maintain "diversity" while having most of your immigrants coming from similar (Spanish speaking, central American) cultures.

First, stop illegal immigration.

Watch the employment issue in the US improve dramatically.

Support reforms in Mexico that move them out of the 19th century.

Then, when you find skilled professions that are under-represented, put a set number on people immigrating, equal numbers from all parts of the world. We don't need anymore unskilled labor..there's plenty here already. If you have to pay more for it, tough. At least the money stays in our economy and doesn't go to Mexico.

Old 07-06-2015, 01:28 PM

39,164 posts, read 27,558,641 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dman72 View Post
Citing legal immigration numbers is pointless as long as the number of illegals dwarfs those here legally.

I'm a Democrat and lean left on most issue, but support limitations on all immigration, starting first with illegal immigration. The responsibility of the US Government should be to all US citizens first, not only to business that wants cheap labor, and not only to the Hispanic activists/lobbys that want to increase their own power.

I am Caucasian and have no problem being a minority..what I do have a problem with is excessive numbers of people from Mexico and Central America dominating the immigration numbers. You cannot maintain "diversity" while having most of your immigrants coming from similar (Spanish speaking, central American) cultures.

First, stop illegal immigration.

Watch the employment issue in the US improve dramatically.

Support reforms in Mexico that move them out of the 19th century.

Then, when you find skilled professions that are under-represented, put a set number on people immigrating, equal numbers from all parts of the world. We don't need anymore unskilled labor..there's plenty here already. If you have to pay more for it, tough. At least the money stays in our economy and doesn't go to Mexico.
Great post.

I think the only people LOVE MASS immigrants and illegals are perhaps business owners who pay people under the table, and real estate agents.

Anybody else who are against mass immigrants and illegals are racists who should just shut up. It is a sad situation because neither party wants to fix the problem. Anybody who were born after 80s should start preparing.

I myself don't care being the minority, I am always the minority who receives no benefits for being a minority because some would view me as borderline majority. To me, it is not about being majority or minority, it is about money. We cannot afford it.

Last edited by lilyflower3191981; 07-06-2015 at 01:37 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies