Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 07-07-2015, 03:56 PM

2,846 posts, read 2,963,352 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by keepingquiet View Post
You make political decisions based on what people say about you online. Maybe this is what's wrong with America.
Everyone and their grandma is online... It's 2015! We communicate with more people online today than we have ever in person.

Old 07-07-2015, 04:01 PM

7,713 posts, read 4,734,006 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tall Traveler View Post
Be careful, these PC Nazis are easily ramped up to demand you follow their guidelines...no more flannel shirts!
They're already trying to rename Lake Calhoun, the most popular lake in Minneapolis because the former explorer & VP was pro-slavery & are trying to ban the Minnesota State flag claiming it's paints a subtle, negative stereotype of Native Americans. Charles Lindbergh (glory boy of the Progressive movement, as well as Nazi & white supremacist) has an airport terminal, a historic preservation site & a state park names after him, wonder if he's next? Washington Ave must be on the list, he had slaves. Colfax & Fremont Avenues are both named after famous Indian killers who were dishonorably discharged from the military, why do they get a pass? The name Minneapolis itself...Polis, from the Greek City/State, Greece was a slave state, Minneapolis has to go as well. See how fun this is?

The crap this kook reads into the flag is actually comical:
As long as we're discussing flags, what about Minnesota's? | Star Tribune

Activists want a new name for Lake Calhoun | Minnesota Public Radio News

Old 07-07-2015, 04:02 PM

13,778 posts, read 9,642,013 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by danielj72 View Post
Stand up to them how?? They are trying to pass hate speech laws to silence you, they are banning images they find offensive (like our confederate flag), and they are even now firing people who speak publically about their conservative belief system. America is rapidly ceasing to be a free nation, and those who step out of the liberal line are being held to account. I even saw on the news how many who support traditional marriage are afraid to speak and promote their views. They fear lawsuits, loss of job or even going to jail for hate crime. (this is coming) Conservative Americans today are considered the equivalent of pointy hooded Klansman or the policeman holding the fire hose in 1950s Alabama. Political correctness is becoming official, its becoming enforceable and we have a choice. Be silent to preserve our lives or speak out and face the consequences. It is now THIER nation not ours. We live under their rule. We must not forget that reality. This will not change either, they hold a majority when it comes time to vote, and the states with highest population are deep blue and show no signs of changing. This is how they are forcing their will upon the Red states. Our rulers live in New York, New England or on the California coast. They control our laws through the courts, they control what our children learn in school and what they watch on TV. They control the corporations that employ us. We have no hope of changing this democratically and it is not going to stop here. What is next?? Likely more loss to our freedom of speech, more loss to states rights and a loss of our second amendment rights. You say no that is crazy?? Well thirty years ago government takeover of healthcare, banking and auto industry was unthinkable, Supreme court edics giving gays the right to marry, and wiretapping of US citizens all were unthinkable then too. In fact the people of thirty years ago would be shocked we have allowed it without a rebellion. Our founding fathers would also have been shocked and disgusted we have allowed it. We have lost our way, and as a consequence it now appears we need to obey the demands of Political correctness or face the consequences. The only other option is the one our founding fathers choose, and the one our confederate ancestors chose. However I don't believe we have that in us anymore. We are now a nation of sheep, we will simply cower before our overlords. This is our real problem, and our weakness is what allowed such un-American values to take hold in the first place.
Get away from your keyboard and go out and confront those nasty PC people. You'll know who they are as they will be well dressed, educated and confident. Tell that black man how you really feel. Walk up to the first Hispanic you see and tell them to go back to their own country. Go to a black Baptist church with guns and a confederate flag and tell them what it really means to be a free American patriot! unfettered by the opinions of others.
You'll be exercising your 1st. and 2nd amendment rights plus standing up to those nasty PC people at the same time. A perfect Trifecta! Sitting at the keyboard does you no good. Act on your feelings!

Let is all know how it works out.

Old 07-07-2015, 04:42 PM

23,795 posts, read 13,218,937 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mason3000 View Post
The Confederate flag is a symbol of Southern pride to most, nothing more. It's the people not effected by it that care. I'm from Minnesota, we have Paul Bunyon & Babe the Blue Ox instead of the Confederate flag. If I wear a red flannel shirt, it doesn't mean I support deforestation.
The Ox a symbol of Minnesota pride? I thought it was like Wisconsin cheese, Florida sunshine, California gold rush. It just exists as a symbol, but is not required as a source of the state's pride.

I'm from the northeast and I don't remember anyone ever talking about the necessity of having a symbol of northern pride. We celebrated American history and the American flag--Yankee Doodle, and all that. Besides the confederate flag wavers are going overboard on taking offense. The Klan drapes themselves in the confederate flag, so why anyone would want to associate themselves with that bunch of terrorists is beyond me.

Old 07-07-2015, 04:50 PM

9,454 posts, read 10,759,446 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mohawkx View Post
Get away from your keyboard and go out and confront those nasty PC people. You'll know who they are as they will be well dressed, educated and confident. Tell that black man how you really feel. Walk up to the first Hispanic you see and tell them to go back to their own country. Go to a black Baptist church with guns and a confederate flag and tell them what it really means to be a free American patriot! unfettered by the opinions of others.
You'll be exercising your 1st. and 2nd amendment rights plus standing up to those nasty PC people at the same time. A perfect Trifecta! Sitting at the keyboard does you no good. Act on your feelings!

Let is all know how it works out.
This post assumes that those of us who hate PC and liberalism are racist. I personally get tired of this, I am not a racist, and I am not anti Hispanic. I support legal Mexican immigration and the integration of said immigrants into our country. "Tell the Black man how I feel", I am not racist against black people. What is there to tell???? You also realize that conservatives were just as horrified by the Charleston massacre don't you?? Your assumptions about me and people who are against political correctness are just plain wrong. Being anti PC does not mean you are racist, but it does mean you are against the undermining of our freedom. What I don't support is a liberal elite telling me how I should think or speak. I don't support the twisting of history to serve a liberal agenda. I don't support anyone who is so thin skinned that any reference to race or ethnicity offends them. You do not have the right to not be offended. I hear a lot of offensive things about white Christians, especially on these boards and I accept that. In a free country people have the right to speak and think as they want. However they do not have the right to control what I think or say. PC people better dressed and educated?? Oh please, the same ole liberals are smarter and better educated than us dumb hick conservatives argument. When will that tactic be given up on. It only makes the liberal argument look weak when it needs to resort to those types of negative tactics. The last few years have made liberal PC types very smug and overconfident. At best they have changed our country in a terrible way, reducing our freedom. At worst they have laid the groundwork for the nation to be destroyed. The divisions in our nation could be dangerous. The last time this nation was filled with this kind of division and rancor was the 1850s and early 1860s. If you have read a history book you will learn that those years were not good ones for the good ole USA.

Old 07-07-2015, 05:11 PM

4,540 posts, read 2,757,105 times
Quote:
This post assumes that those of us who hate PC and liberalism are racist. I personally get tired of this, I am not a racist, and I am not anti Hispanic. I support legal Mexican immigration and the integration of said immigrants into our country. "Tell the Black man how I feel", I am not racist against black people. What is there to tell???? You also realize that conservatives were just as horrified by the Charleston massacre don't you?? Your assumptions about me and people who are against political correctness are just plain wrong. Being anti PC does not mean you are racist, but it does mean you are against the undermining of our freedom. What I don't support is a liberal elite telling me how I should think or speak. I don't support the twisting of history to serve a liberal agenda. I don't support anyone who is so thin skinned that any reference to race or ethnicity offends them. You do not have the right to not be offended. I hear a lot of offensive things about white Christians, especially on these boards and I accept that. In a free country people have the right to speak and think as they want. However they do not have the right to control what I think or say. PC people better dressed and educated?? Oh please, the same ole liberals are smarter and better educated than us dumb hick conservatives argument. When will that tactic be given up on. It only makes the liberal argument look weak when it needs to resort to those types of negative tactics. The last few years have made liberal PC types very smug and overconfident. At best they have changed our country in a terrible way, reducing our freedom. At worst they have laid the groundwork for the nation to be destroyed. The divisions in our nation could be dangerous. The last time this nation was filled with this kind of division and rancor was the 1850s and early 1860s. If you have read a history book you will learn that those years were not good ones for the good ole USA.
Is somebody denying you your right to wave the stars and bars while walking through a black neighborhood?

Far as I know you're free to do just that. Though you might want to take a cue from the KKK and secure some police protection first. Black folks don't take kindly to a flag symbolizing slavery and segregation.

Old 07-07-2015, 05:43 PM

13,778 posts, read 9,642,013 times
Quote:
MY point is, that you are free to go out and confront all those who you think are infringing on your rights through social censure. It's legal to do so. Carry the flag. Call any person anything you want. Call your next door neighbor's daughter a ****. It's all legal. NOBODY IS STOPPING YOU
But unfortunately in your case, it's just as legal for others to take offense at your actions and say so. First amendment and all that you know. No federal government came to the SC legislature and said "take down that flag" They are doing it voluntarily on their own accord. PC is not a law. It's public censure and peer pressure.

Old 07-07-2015, 05:47 PM

22,359 posts, read 11,886,395 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by thefragile View Post
For real? This is your actual response? How about stopping the cycle with yourself instead of leaving be, shrugging your shoulders & saying "oh well, other people weren't perfect either". What a perfectly absurd way of thinking.
No, you are the one with absurd thinking---thinking that everybody needs to be ashamed of their ancestors' past transgressions. I have no control over what my ancestors did or didn't do---and you have no control over what yours did either. You have a real problem if this is a major concern for you. Clear your head and think rationally for once.

Last edited by BOS2IAD; 07-07-2015 at 06:01 PM..

Old 07-07-2015, 05:58 PM

3,997 posts, read 4,132,047 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by halfamazing View Post
We communicate with more people online today than we have ever in person.
WE don't communicate. We read the written word on a screen that lacks emotion. We don't hear the reflection in a person's voice when they are truly sorry for causing pain. We don't pick our words carefully or slowly to help make the best case or spare someones feelings, instead because we are anonymous we lay it out there...hurtful or not. Neither do we hear the raised voice when they are angry. We are nameless, faceless, blobs reduced to a series of code. Easily moderated by those who decide our fate. And easily erased in a few keys strokes.

Old 07-07-2015, 07:00 PM

1,442 posts, read 1,337,516 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by thefragile View Post
Your "heritage" is one of racism. Everyone else in the free world gets that. Time to step out of the muck & admit it.
YOU are a freaking idiot who knows ZERO about the OP, her heritage or the south. Educate yourself before posting to avoid embarrassing yourself. JS
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.