Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 07-06-2015, 09:18 PM

3,997 posts, read 4,142,915 times

Advertisements

I can't speak for the OP... only for myself.... but I agree with everything she said. But for me, it's not about a flag. Nor is it about same-sex marriage. It isn't about Obamacare. None of these things in and of themselves was the problem. The problem is that the flag issue is just one small turd that has become a big ole heaping pile of PC crap that some of us are sick of. I think the left has awoke a sleeping giant. One issue that we disagree with won't effect us much in the long run. Two.. maybe... But with every left decision forced on us more and more are finally going to get to the exact point that the OP did.

Old 07-06-2015, 09:18 PM

19,966 posts, read 7,873,534 times
If a black person named Clarence had a cousin named Thomas who was charged with raping, torturing and killing a white person, which happens daily in America, no one would say all black people hold responsibility and need their culture cleansed-no, more rap, no more black studies, no more anything. No one would even say Clarence is responsible for Thomas's deeds and that he needs cleansing.

But progressive libs tell us because Dylan Roof shoots several black people, that all white people hold responsibility and must be cleansed. Progressive libs tell us that all white people are responsible for what maybe 5% of the population did previous to the 1860s that the vast majority of us aren't even distantly related to. Progressive libs judge and discriminated by skin color and not by an individual's actions.

Old 07-06-2015, 09:21 PM

8,299 posts, read 8,606,493 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mtl1 View Post
You should understand that the Democrat party was long taken over by Marxist and progressives who simply put hate white people, their culture and their heritage. Even the progressive libs that don't hate, still push policies that are against our interests and cleanse our culture and heritage. You think it's bad now, just wait till they've succeed in making you the minority, through legal and illegal immigration, and it's going to get a lot worse.
For those of us that have actual accomplishments, there's no need to find pride in having been born white in the United States.

Quote:
It's time for all white females to see the light and males but I think liberal men are a lost cause, and anyone else who is not an anti-white, to leave the Democrat party before it's too late to fix what progressive libs are doing.

Last edited by Ibginnie; 07-06-2015 at 11:23 PM..

Old 07-06-2015, 09:21 PM

1,136 posts, read 923,894 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spikett View Post
They do. My point is that the pressure being put on them by the out-of-control PC gang is the cause. They'd never do it otherwise. Of course, Confederate flags and related merchandise is flying of of the shelves, and sales of Dukes of Hazzard DVDs and instant downloads are way up. The flag was flying all over Daytona Speedway last weekend too. So I guess it's kind of backfired.
There is always pressure being put on companies and groups. People have the right to advocate for what they believe in. Its not PC. Its people using the power of their wallet and opinion to affect their communities and the companies they patronage. Your real problem is with capitalism. Capitalism means people, groups and companies have to care about how they are viewed to earn a living.

Old 07-06-2015, 09:24 PM

4,540 posts, read 2,768,718 times
Quote:
Since the Charleston shooting I’ve found myself being pushed more and more to the right. It’s odd for me because I’ve always been a moderate (even liberal on some issues). But I’m a 57 year old Southern Woman who is proud of my heritage. Because of that I’ve been labeled a racist, a traitor and a Nazi (by implication) by folks on the internet who don’t anything about me but what I’ve just mentioned. And suddenly I see it – the hatred of many (not going to generalize and say “all”) on the left for anything they disagree with and/or don’t understand. People who lash out and name call based on a knee-jerk reactions and little real knowledge either of the people they are attacking or the history they seem to think they are experts on. Indeed, these people have managed to turn not only today’s Southerners, but all, into one-dimensional racist buffoons. History is a lot more complicated than that because it’s made by real people – who are complicated.

I have a degree in history and I’ve studied US history from Colonial times through Vietnam. The history of slavery goes back hundreds of years. The sectional differences of the US states began before the ink was dry on the Constitution. It can’t be boiled down to a soundbite. And calling people names only demonstrates a lack of any but the most superficial knowledge of the history of the US, but also a rabid refusal to do more than cast stones from some kind of self righteous Neverland. From the flag, to the monuments, to the Dukes of Hazzard – it’s just too much. And it has caused more division than the shooting that started this ever could have. People came together after that in support and shock. Then it dwindled into attacks on heritage and charges of racism – toward people who not only didn’t support Roof, but were outraged at his actions. It has succeeded not only in division, but in the alienation of people like myself who find they have had all the insults and misjudgment they can take.
OMG people called you names?!?!

Well yes, I suppose then that the only rational action is to support the fascist GOTP. Now is the time to support deliberate disenfranchisement of minority voters, mass-incarceration, wars of choice, and wealth redistribution from the poor to the rich!

That'll show 'em for calling you names

1,136 posts, read 923,894 times
Quote:
If a black person named Clarence had a cousin named Thomas who was charged with raping, torturing and killing a white person, which happens daily in America, no one would say all black people hold responsibility and need their culture cleansed-no, more rap, no more black studies, no more anything. No one would even say Clarence is responsible for Thomas's deeds and that he needs cleansing.

But progressive libs tell us because Dylan Roof shoots several black people, that all white people hold responsibility and must be cleansed. Progressive libs tell us that all white people are responsible for what maybe 5% of the population did previous to the 1860s that the vast majority of us aren't even distantly related to. Progressive libs judge and discriminated by skin color and not by an individual's actions.
This is 100% untrue and you know it. Many people on this very site have told black posters they need take responsibility for the crimes of others.

12,372 posts, read 9,312,855 times
Quote:
I'll tell you but I doubt you'll understand.

In 1861, the US was less than 100 years old. The ideas of liberty, state's rights, and revolution against oppression were fresh. The Southern people sincerely felt that they had every right to leave a union they had joined voluntarily following a successful revolution that overthrew a tyrannical government. George Washington was their hero (and, yes, he owned slaves).

There had been discord between the northern and southern states almost from the beginning. In fact, placing the nation's capital in DC to placate the South over the war debt issue (DC was considered pretty far south at that point), and it went downhill from there. And secession was not a novel idea. Indeed, it had been discussed and threatened by various states since soon after the beginning. There are scholarly arguments on both sides of the issue. The idea that voluntary entry into a Federation did not negate the voluntary secession therefrom has definite merit. Indeed, it wasn't a legal or constitutional argument that won the war - it was simply force of arms (the old "might makes right"). During the war, Lincoln actually assumed powers not bestowed on the POTUS, defied the Constitution, and generally did what he felt was right regardless of whether he actually had the legal right to do so.

It's easy to simply write off those who fought for the Confederacy as racist traitors, but it's also incorrect. Doing so demonstrates a shallow disregard of the complexities of history and the people who lived it. Most southerners didn't even own slaves - as has been mentioned. They fought against an invading army. Some years ago there was a TV miniseries on the subject - I can't remember if it was "The Blue and the Gray" or "North and South" - but there is a great scene that I think sums it all up. Two young soldiers, one US and one CSA, find themselves face to face away from the fighting. The Union fellow asks, "What's it like to own slaves?". The Southern boy, incredulous, replies "Slaves! We're lucky to own shoes!". The Union fellow, shocked, asks "Then why are you fighting?", to which the CSA fellow replies "We're fighting because you're down here." That's pretty much it in a nutshell for the average CSA soldier.

The difference between a revolution and a rebellion is victory. Remember that the Founding Fathers were also traitors - to England. And they wrote slavery into the Constitution because they owned slaves.
Thanks for explaining your definition of southern heritage that is represented by the Confederate flag. I don't know anyone who believes that all southerns owned slaves. To me what the flag represents is two-fold. 1) It represents a part of America that begrudges the fact that they lost the war and wants to glorify and take pride in the fact that they were rebels fighting for, you say, states rights and others say was over the right to own slaves. Either way, the south lost the right to own slaves and lost the right to withdraw from the Union. 2) Since the Civil Rights Movement of the 60s, when the flag started being put up to protest the desegregation of the south, it's original meaning changed. It became a symbol of racism which was later set in cement by White Supremacy groups who now use the flag (not to mention the KKK using the flag long before that). To me, people like you who believe the flag is all about heritage should want to take it meaning back from the racists and put the flag in museums, Civil War Memorial Battle fields and other places where history is taught regarding the war that helped shape the south. It's a relic of the past and needs to be treated as such.

Last edited by Wayland Woman; 07-06-2015 at 09:46 PM..

20,169 posts, read 24,330,946 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sommie789 View Post
Nah I am liberal Christian
I would say put your money where your mouth is, but I'm a Conservative Buddhist.

So I won't.

Old 07-06-2015, 09:25 PM

2,325 posts, read 2,652,251 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by helenejen View Post
For those of us that have actual accomplishments, there's no need to find pride in having been born white in the United States.
The Klan had a huge following in Indiana back in the 20s. They also use the American flag - so I guess you've got a double standard happening there. You should read "Sundown Towns" - it's an eye-opener written by a liberal about racism and segregation (illegal but authorized by the power that be with a wink and a nod) in the north, midwest, and west. Posting pictures of a group no one here is endorsing is disingenuous and a truly shallow argument with zero intellectual depth.

Old 07-06-2015, 09:27 PM

13,608 posts, read 21,394,406 times
Just remember, the black ISIS flag is not about hate, its about heritage to some. Remember that if you ever see one fluttering from a auto in front of you on the road.

I bet you won't see it that way though, you'll think about it representing those that are executing non believers and the flag being the one that reminds you some American soldier was killed by the guy waving it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies