Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-11-2015, 08:07 PM

41,813 posts, read 51,051,710 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by desertdetroiter View Post
I don't have sympathy for the dealers or users. It's not about sympathy, it's about stupidity and a waste of American tax dollars locking up people for selling and using something that people want. I don't want to spend hundreds of millions of dollars locking up people over something as stupid as drug sales and use. That money needs to be spent for better purposes. I mean damn, how many more prisons do you folks wanna build?
The only reason I support legalization is because the dealers are forcing our hand, hence the reason I have no sympathy for them.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-11-2015, 08:08 PM

Quote:
Look man...there are levels to financial crimes,
And there is levels of drug crimes, these are not corner dealers but would be mid level dealers.

Old 07-11-2015, 08:08 PM

27,142 posts, read 15,318,187 times
I can only imagine who he will pardon at end of term.
That is my greater concern.

Old 07-11-2015, 08:09 PM

56,988 posts, read 35,198,461 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by thecoalman View Post
The only reason I support legalization is because the dealers are forcing our hand, hence the reason I have no sympathy for them.
You're supporting legalization for the wrong reason.

The right reason is because you or I have no good reason to tell people what they can or can't put in their own bodies....so there's no reason to stop people from selling them what they want.

Old 07-11-2015, 08:12 PM

6,542 posts, read 4,094,282 times
Quote:
No violence involved with Madoff stealing millions either, who cares?
A ridiculous comparison. One is stealing, the other is selling.

Old 07-11-2015, 08:13 PM

Quote:
And there is levels of drug crimes, these are not corner dealers but would be mid level dealers.
Mid level dealers are by and large non-violent. It's the clockers that are violent because they're the guys that have to deal with customers directly. Mid level dealers and wholesalers don't get their hands dirty in that kind of nonsense.

But the point is that they're ALL selling people a product they want. They aren't ripping anyone off. People want to get high, and someone wants to sell them the product to get them there at a market price. I see nothing wrong with the transaction at all.

This has nothing to do with Madoff, who maliciously ripped people off and didn't provide the service that he was paid to provide. That's pretty high criminality.

Old 07-11-2015, 08:13 PM

Quote:
You're supporting legalization for the wrong reason.

The right reason is because you or I have no good reason to tell people what they can or can't put in their own bodies....so there's no reason to stop people from selling them what they want.
I'm supporting legalization becsue there is no alternative to stop the crime involved with it. Whether it's the gangster shooting up his neighborhood to protect his turf or the user knocking little old ladies to the ground to steal their purse a lot of that goes away with legalization.

This has the added benefit of freeing up prison space for the people that really belong their.

Old 07-11-2015, 08:14 PM

2,950 posts, read 1,637,339 times
Quote:
Doing a little research these longer sentences were for example the result of having in their possession more than 50 grams of cocaine, these are not street corner dealers.
50 grams of cocaine isn't even two ounces. Nobody should do jail time for that if no violence was involved or no other crimes were committed.

Old 07-11-2015, 08:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bluesjuke View Post
I can only imagine who he will pardon at end of term.
That is my greater concern.
He's gonna do the largest mass pardon in history next year...i'll place huge money on it. Bigger than you can imagine. He's going for legacy on this one. He's really gonna do a mass dump of federal prisons the likes of which most can't imagine.

If he doesn't, i'll be shocked.

Old 07-11-2015, 08:16 PM

Quote:
I'm supporting legalization becsue there is no alternative to stop the crime involved with it. Whether it's the gangster shooting up his neighborhood to protect his turf or the user knocking little old ladies to the ground to steal their purse a lot of that goes away with legalization.

This has the added benefit of freeing up prison space for the people that really belong their.
Fair enough.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies