Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-07-2015, 09:39 AM

25,732 posts, read 18,797,332 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by thecoalman View Post
Great idea, lets give them the most expensive power we can.
*** I use my solar oven just about every day (summer and winter) for my cooking. In the four years I've had it, there has been zero cost except the original outlay of about one hundred fifty dollars for the oven unit and thirty dollars for a small black cast iron dutch oven. And it's easier than cooking over a stove. Also, the cooked food is much tastier than if it were cooked on a conventional range or in a conventional oven.

*** Same applies to parabolic cookers.

*** I have several small solar powered lights. They charge by day and light my home by night. They are small, portable, and again, other than the original ten bucks or whatever they were, they have costed me nothing. I carry them around with me anywhere I need to go in the house at night.

That version of cooking and lighting is all money that I do not have to pay to a power company AND when the power goes out, my cooking and lighting does not.

I see no disadvantage in that at all. That's why I bought them. It's also very easy to design a home that takes advantage of passive solar heating--its a technology that has been around for centuries and is nothing complicated at all. Same goes with heating water. That takes no electrical gadgetry at all--just some tubing, glass, and black paint.

I adopted most of these concepts because I'm a minimalist and generally prefer frugality. I certainly didn't adopt them because they were more expensive. Quite the opposite, they are far cheaper. You just have to pick the RIGHT kind of solar power. Modern technology is not the answer to everything.

Of course, if you live in a drab cloud bank somewhere, none of this applies. In that case, do your collectivist power scheme.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-07-2015, 09:47 AM

15,047 posts, read 8,871,547 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisC View Post
*** I use my solar oven just about every day (summer and winter) for my cooking. In the four years I've had it, there has been zero cost except the original outlay of about one hundred fifty dollars for the oven unit and thirty dollars for a small black cast iron dutch oven. And it's easier than cooking over a stove. Also, the cooked food is much tastier than if it were cooked on a conventional range or in a conventional oven.

*** I have several small solar powered lights. They charge by day and light my home by night. They are small, portable, and again, other than the original ten bucks or whatever they were, they have costed me nothing. I carry them around with me anywhere I need to go in the house at night.

That version of cooking and lighting is all money that I do not have to pay to a power company AND when the power goes out, my cooking and lighting does not.

I see no disadvantage in that at all. That's why I bought them. It's also very easy to design a home that takes advantage of passive solar heating--its a technology that has been around for centuries and is nothing complicated at all. Same goes with heating water. That takes no electrical gadgetry at all--just some tubing, glass, and black paint.

I adopted most of these concepts because I'm a minimalist and generally prefer frugality. I certainly didn't adopt them because they were more expensive. Quite the opposite, they are far cheaper. You just have to pick the RIGHT kind of solar power. Modern technology is not the answer to everything.

Of course, if you live in a drab cloud bank somewhere, none of this applies. In that case, do your collectivist power scheme.
Excellent post. Thank you for illustrating how practical using solar is, and how ridiculous it is to fight against such a clean, readily available energy source.

When it comes to energy conservation, Conservatives can be summed up by their last great presidential icon, Ronald Reagan, who, in one of his very first acts as president, tore down the solar panels Carter installed on the White House because he preferred to let the free market determine what was good for the country. I think they call that leading from behind.

Old 07-07-2015, 09:51 AM

41,110 posts, read 25,730,963 times
Hey Jude... what's stopping you from putting in your own solar energy? Oh that little thing called "paying for it"? That's right, you rant against conservatives but you haven't put in your own solar energy.

And yet the middle class couldn't afford it but let their tax dollar fund the poor area's. Yea, nice...

Old 07-07-2015, 09:52 AM

5,717 posts, read 3,145,944 times
The "low income" people are welcome to install all the solar panels they want.

Oh, wait. What they really meant is that they want the tax payers to buy the equipment for them. Typical.

Old 07-07-2015, 09:55 AM

41,813 posts, read 51,045,587 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisC View Post
*** I use my solar oven just about every day (summer and winter) for my cooking. In the four years I've had it, there has been zero cost except the original outlay of about one hundred fifty dollars for the oven unit and thirty dollars for a small black cast iron dutch oven. And the cooked food is much tastier than if it were cooked on a conventional range or in a conventional oven.

Solar thermal can be very cost effective and practical in the right area, I actually wished I had better sun here becsue there is lot of things I would do even in the colder climate I live in. They aren't talking about thermal but PV.

Quote:
Link to the exact product?

Quote:
AND when the power goes out, my cooking and lighting does not.
I have generator, grill, two fireplaces and soon a hand fired coal stove with regular cook top, oven and hot water jacket that will be able to utilize the years worth of fuel I have stored for coal boiler that unfortunately requires electric.

Quote:
They are not discussing solar thermal but PV installations which is very expensive.

Old 07-07-2015, 09:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by neko_mimi View Post

Oh, wait. What they really meant is that they want the tax payers to buy the equipment for them. Typical.
Exactly! They want it, no problem, then arrange for it to be done and pay for it.

Look at HeyJude, ranting against conservatives. What she really means is she wants the tax payer to pay for it.

Old 07-07-2015, 09:57 AM

33,016 posts, read 27,455,098 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by petch751 View Post
Hey Jude... what's stopping you from putting in your own solar energy? Oh that little thing called "paying for it"? That's right, you rant against conservatives but you haven't put in your own solar energy.

And yet the middle class couldn't afford it but let their tax dollar fund the poor area's. Yea, nice...

What stops many people is called "renting".

Old 07-07-2015, 09:57 AM

41,813 posts, read 51,045,587 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HeyJude514 View Post
.... because he preferred to let the free market determine what was good for the country. I think they call that leading from behind.
If you want to let the free market decide what is good for the country then we can lift the massive subsidies, mandates and all the rest of the incentives involved with solar.

Old 07-07-2015, 09:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by thecoalman View Post
If you want to let the free market decide what is good for the country then we can lift the massive subsidies, mandates and all the rest of the incentives involved with solar.
I say that solar panels are better and contribute more for the people than welfare queens and kings. Lets divert the money from them to putting in solar panels.

Old 07-07-2015, 09:59 AM

33,016 posts, read 27,455,098 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by neko_mimi View Post

??? ??? ??? ??? ??? ??? ??? ??? ??? ??? ??? ??? ??? ??? ??? ??? ??? ??? ??? ??? ??? ??? ??? ???

PLEASE explain WhereTF you got that idea.

This ought to be good.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies